Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 67 and other analogue 35 and MF slr

Hi guys,

Hope you all are doing well and healthy.
I'm very curious to hear your views on the Pentax 67 becoming such trendy camera. A discussion that can be extended to many analogue SLR that have been put under the spotlight over the past 2-3 years (thank you youtubers and other influencers.....)

07-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by _the_bside_ Quote
Hi guys,

Hope you all are doing well and healthy.
I'm very curious to hear your views on the Pentax 67 becoming such trendy camera. A discussion that can be extended to many analogue SLR that have been put under the spotlight over the past 2-3 years (thank you youtubers and other influencers.....)
Welcome to the forum!

It's nice that these Pentax classics are still getting used, but the downside is that the price goes up.

The 67ii has gone up 250% since I bought mine about seven years ago.

Phil.
07-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The big reasons:

1. Big gorgeous 6 x 7 film negatives.
2. Familiar roll-film/SLR handling (unlike large format w/ sheet film)
3. Enough copies of Pentax 6x7 cameras and lenses on the used market that hobbyists can easy get (and afford) them.
4. A nice big camera to impress others who only have puny Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Fuji toys.
07-26-2020, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I wasn't aware it's a trendy camera.

@photoptimist, my three Fuji cameras have a much larger negative size (6x9 and 6x17) than my Pentax 6x7 if that is a measure of impressiveness. And I use them more than my Pentax 6x7.

07-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The big reasons:

1. Big gorgeous 6 x 7 film negatives.
2. Familiar roll-film/SLR handling (unlike large format w/ sheet film)
3. Enough copies of Pentax 6x7 cameras and lenses on the used market that hobbyists can easy get (and afford) them.
4. A nice big camera to impress others who only have puny Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Fuji toys.
Most of us know the tech specs.. What I mean is, why is there such need for following the 'YOU NEED THIS CAMERA' that we can all hear and read in every analogue enthusiast on youtube or instagram?

Leica M6
Canon AE-1
Mamiya 7
Mamiya RB/RZ67
P67 / II
Contax 645

while Pentax 645, Mamiya 645 Super and many more seem to stay on the lower end for this curve and trend..
07-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I sold my my Mamiya 7II. While the optics were very good and something to be missed, the lens housings were too cheaply made (my aperture ring was a THIN, brittle type plastic ring broke in half) and the camera body was way too 'tender' for me. I needed a more robust rangefinder.
07-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I remember getting my last M6 body a year ago for 1000€, now when i check the same shops I looked at, I see the same bodies for 1500 up to 2000€..
A Xpan wasn't 3000+€ 4 years ago, especially since it's an electronic ticking clock that can stop working so suddenly..
How much is a P67 worth now? And how much in a year?

07-26-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Most of us know the tech specs.. What I mean is, why is there such need for following the 'YOU NEED THIS CAMERA' that we can all hear and read in every analogue enthusiast on youtube or instagram?
I am sure we all have our own personal reasons to acquiring one - or more, of these cameras. Speaking for myself, because I just found them to be masterpieces of electro mechanical industrial art . . .

07-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I am sure we all have our own personal reasons to acquiring one - or more, of these cameras. Speaking for myself, because I just found them to be masterpieces of electro mechanical industrial art . . .
What is surprising is the difference in inflation from one model to another.. It started with the Contax T2, then T3, then the Mju followed. The Canon AE-1 are hotter than the Nikon FM2 (got 2 years ago for 85€ in perfect shape with its 50mm, not possible anymore I guess).
A lot of those electro-mechanical marvels are getting harder and harder to fix, and can turn into very expensive paper weights.. But prices keep going up..
07-26-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

These two focal lengths (65mm and 90mm) fit in a small day pack that I ride around with on my bicycle looking for pictures.

07-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
These two focal lengths (65mm and 90mm) fit in a small day pack that I ride around with on my bicycle looking for pictures.

Worked with those too. Not as trendy as a badass RB or RZ though.. Wondering why.
07-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Worked with those too. Not as trendy as a badass RB or RZ though.. Wondering why.
Good. Maybe it will help keep the prices down. I think popularity is a function of camera features. As you know these Fuji's are very basic without a light meter even. How many would jump on a 67II vs a 67 just because of the better metering and a few other things besides being a newer camera with more potential usage life? But to someone like me that's pretty insignificant. It's still an old-school light meter that's not as sophisticated as matrix metering and what you can do with a one-degree spot meter by comparison.
07-26-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Good. Maybe it will help keep the prices down. I think popularity is a function of camera features. As you know these Fuji's are very basic without a light meter even. How many would jump on a 67II vs a 67 just because of the better metering and a few other things besides being a newer camera with more potential usage life? But to someone like me that's pretty insignificant. It's still an old-school light meter that's not as sophisticated as matrix metering and what you can do with a one-degree spot meter by comparison.
I hope it does as much as I hope Mamiya RFs prices will finally decrease and go back down to where they used to be.. Lotsa people would jump on a P67 II if its pricetag was much lower. Now, it just doesn't make sense. Especially for such complex electronic beast, while a P67 or 6x7 will always be more reliable and easy to fix..
07-26-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian

What is surprising is the difference in inflation from one model to another.. It started with the Contax T2, then T3, then the Mju followed. The Canon AE-1 are hotter than the Nikon FM2 (got 2 years ago for 85€ in perfect shape with its 50mm, not possible anymore I guess).
A lot of those electro-mechanical marvels are getting harder and harder to fix, and can turn into very expensive paper weights.. But prices keep going up..
No doubt there is really no way to predict what will be trendy, I just know when I got into it, I found that they not only looked and worked great but they also brought me great joy . . .

But I had to find them in a condition and price I am willing to pay for.
07-26-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Leica M6
Canon AE-1
Mamiya 7
Mamiya RB/RZ67
P67 / II
Contax 645

while Pentax 645, Mamiya 645 Super and many more seem to stay on the lower end for this curve and trend..
From my perspective, the rise in prices is directly linked to the popularity and is somewhat predictable. In the last couple of years a lot more people have gotten into film shooting.
Often the first thing that someone new will ask and read about online is "what camera should I get?". Watching some youtube videos is a good way to get an idea about how a certain camera performs, the usability and a hint to the results that can be obtained. The more experienced photographers on youtube already have their favourites and of course they will recommend them.
Hence the popularity of some models starts to grow. And then more people talk about them and recommend them and it grows further.

In my opinion, the trends are spreading to more models of camera quite quickly. I think this is predictable too, as a model such as the M6 becomes really expensive then people start looking at cheaper RF options and over time the prices of those go up too. What I'm seeing is the prices of any "desirable" camera going up.

Regarding the P67 this seems to be gaining popularity as a portraiture camera with the 105mm lens. And portrait photos shot on film appear to be very popular.

And regarding P645, here in Australia I've seen more people using these recently. It still seems affordable, though maybe not for too much longer!

Overall I think the popularity trend is a positive; however it is very frustrating indeed when I want to buy a new Distagon lens for my 500CM and they are becoming out of reach