Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #1

Pentax SuperProgram Lightmeter/Shutter Issues

Hello.

Pressing the shutter button on my SuperProgram SLR won't trigger the screens (top and inside) to show the shutterspeed reading. I usually have to keep trying for a whole minute before it works. I have this camera since early last year and it used to work just fine, a single press was enough to have the reading being displayed.

A workaround I found is that when I keep the button that lights up the inside of the camera pressed it also displays the shutterspeed reading, but it's pretty annoying since the button is located on an unusual spot and it only work as long as I'm pressing it. I also noticed that when I don't have the shutter lever cocked and I give a full press on the shutter button the reading appears.

The camera is in pretty good condition, the batteries are new (at first I thought it had to do with the batteries so I had them replaced), everything else is fine, except that one issue.

I made a to make it easier to understand what's happening:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

07-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say you have a problem with the shutter button switch not working for half-press.

Steve
07-30-2020, 07:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try exercising all the buttons. Tarnish develops over time and can limit contact. The light button is usually the first to act up. Then the others. Good Luck.
07-31-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
In my experience this is a common failure case with the Super Program. I believe this is discussed (probably here? not sure) as a circuit board failure issue. Pushing the "light" button seems to work around it, as you discovered. I don't know that it necessarily gets worse; I have some Super Programs that have had the issue, and others that never developed it.