Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there any Pentax film camera body which works with the new lenses?

Hi,
Probably common knowledge to many around here. However, I was just buying a new KAF4 lens on a whim. Since it was marked as "D FA", I was assuming it would work on the old K-mount film bodies just as my old 50mm D FA and 100mm D FA. Seems I was expecting too much, so the new one doesn't do much good with the LX.

So, my question is: is there a single Pentax film camera body, which could be used with these new lenses?

br,

07-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

No Pentax film body supports electronic autofocus.
07-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
No Pentax film body supports electronic autofocus.
LX doesn't do autofocus anyways. The lack of aperture control is what I'm mostly after now - does any Pentax film body allow changing of aperture with the new lenses?

I'm starting to understand the plea for a modern film body from Pentax. As there is new glass coming, but unusable.

br,
07-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ppohja Quote
LX doesn't do autofocus anyways. The lack of aperture control is what I'm mostly after now - does any Pentax film body allow changing of aperture with the new lenses?

I'm starting to understand the plea for a modern film body from Pentax. As there is new glass coming, but unusable.

br,
Not the new KAF4 lenses with electronic aperture.

07-31-2020, 04:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not the new KAF4 lenses with electronic aperture.
Okey, thanks.

Well, who anyways buys 1.4 glass, only to stop it down?
07-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's k-mount glass that went to f1.2, some of which is supposed to be pretty good at that aperture, which would work on an LX. There's a lot of glass on the used market that provides f1.4 max aperture on a lens with a focus ring. Pentax's FA 50 1.4, for instance, or Samyang's 85 f1.4 are examples of such. Both of which are currently available brand new.

Not counting for the few focus-by-wire Pentax lenses, all (both?) of which are crop-only anyway, as long as it has an aperture lever a camera like the Super Program can control the aperture and provide a lens/camera combination that is usable (meaning, not shot only wide open or only stopped down completely). A person could build a fairly convincing kit around a Super Program, a DA 70, a DA 40, and a DA 16-45 with some caveats. The issue with this is that the Super Program doesn't let the user specifically control the aperture through the body; all shooting would be in modes like Program where the user is influencing aperture through setting of the exposure to drive the camera to use wider or smaller apertures (or possibly through monkeying with the ISO setting on a per-shot basis but that might not be such a great thing to do, or it might be a great solution, I don't know).

The MZ-S allows for user select-able aperture in-body. Either this body or the Super Program would be the Pentax cameras I would look at if I wanted to use more modern glass that does not offer aperture rings. Or I would consider leaving Pentax for my film kit, which I have to admit I have thought idly about once in a while, but I'm not nearly serious enough about film to do so.
07-31-2020, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Here’s a shot taken on Kodak Portra 160 (metered at 125) with a Pentax MZ-10 and the DA 10-17 Fisheye. The lens has no aperture ring so the camera goes into shutter priority made when set to M with such a lens.
Source 93900034 | Entree de ville Bonaventure, public art sc? | Flickr

07-31-2020, 11:22 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, who anyways buys 1.4 glass, only to stop it down?
That would be me. f/1.4 gives me a brighter viewfinder that aids in both manual or auto focusing in low light. And I've also found (for example) an f/1.4 lens stopped down to f/2.8 is sharper than an f/2 lens stopped down to f/2.8.

I would never admit to anyone that I also think it looks more impressive to any model posing in front of big glass.
08-01-2020, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I would never admit to anyone that I also think it looks more impressive to any model posing in front of big glass.

Thanks for reminding, taking Sonnar 180mm on the bag to next shoot.
08-01-2020, 11:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Not counting for the few focus-by-wire Pentax lenses, all (both?) of which are crop-only anyway, as long as it has an aperture lever a camera like the Super Program can control the aperture and provide a lens/camera combination that is usable (meaning, not shot only wide open or only stopped down completely). A person could build a fairly convincing kit around a Super Program, a DA 70, a DA 40, and a DA 16-45 with some caveats. The issue with this is that the Super Program doesn't let the user specifically control the aperture through the body; all shooting would be in modes like Program where the user is influencing aperture through setting of the exposure to drive the camera to use wider or smaller apertures (or possibly through monkeying with the ISO setting on a per-shot basis but that might not be such a great thing to do, or it might be a great solution, I don't know).

The MZ-S allows for user select-able aperture in-body. Either this body or the Super Program would be the Pentax cameras I would look at if I wanted to use more modern glass that does not offer aperture rings. Or I would consider leaving Pentax for my film kit, which I have to admit I have thought idly about once in a while, but I'm not nearly serious enough about film to do so.

I was planning to use the DA55 on a Super Program one of these days soon.

The PZ-1, and maybe the other PZ cameras, allow you to set the aperture using the now-common two-dial system. Probably also most of the MZ line allows you to set the aperture with on-body controls, though of varying levels of ease of use.
08-01-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The Super Program (no autofocus) and the MZ7 work fine with KAF2 lenses ; thus I assume any camera after the SuperProgram will work

I guess none of the lenses with internal motor will work though
08-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Check out this compatibility chart:
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

This really only started getting tricky with KAF4, since power is required for focusing on some of these lenses. However, assuming that the focus isn't by wire, then these lenses can be used at wide-open apertures (so, technically the chart is currently wrong about the D FA* 50mm, which has electronic aperture but offers mechanical manual focus).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

and it is worth the time to look at as well
QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell
There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article . . .
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series
08-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #14

Original Poster
Hi all,
Thanks a lot for lots of pointers for further research. However, I'm still a bit confused, so I would like to reduce my question to a bit more concrete form:

Yesterday I bought the D FA 85mm lens. Is there a single film camera body which I could be shooting at f2.8 ?

br,
08-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for lots of pointers for further research. However, I'm still a bit confused, so I would like to reduce my question to a bit more concrete form:

Yesterday I bought the D FA 85mm lens. Is there a single film camera body which I could be shooting at f2.8 ?

br,
No is the simple answer...

-Eric