Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2020, 10:58 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If the KS-2 is the same as the Ricoh XR-7 then that's a good find. I think it's a good alternative to the ME Super but with conventional controls.
Back in the day in late fall of 1982, I had both on the counter in front of me at Kits Camera in the Lloyd Center Mall in Portland along with the Pentax MX. I liked the MX a lot, but it was a smidge small in the hand. The ME Super was very nice, but the buttons put me off, as did the lack of AE lock. The XR7 met the ME Super feature-wise with substitution of up to 16s shutter on the slow side (both auto and manual) for lack of 1/2000s and having the benefit of AE lock and excellent battery life. I eventually bought the XR7 mail order from a store in Seattle (still have the receipt somewhere) and took delivery with a Pentax-M 50/1.7 attached instead of the XR Rikenon 50/1.7 I ordered. Strangely, the M 50/1.7 was kit'ed with the camera by Ricoh in Japan and not by the dealer.

That camera provided 26 years of faithful service until the aperture actuator was munged when attempting to mount a defective Zenitar fisheye. That XR7 was never coddled and was carried over literally thousands of miles of mountainous trail, sometimes swinging loose from the pack frame by its strap. If it had not been damaged by the Zen, I expect I would probably still be using it. Instead, I managed to acquire two replacement XR7 bodies, one from eBay and the other a donation from a PF member who passed it on for cost of postage. I also have the power winder and a Vivitar dedicated flash that I picked up along the way to fully duplicate the setup offered me at Kits so many years ago. Yes, I am fond of the XR-7.

BTW...my memory is that the XR7 was slightly more money than an ME Super would have been.

Addendum: Thank you @Papa_Joe (below) for reminding me that the ME Super lacks the DOF preview lever that my XR7s nicely provide.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-14-2020 at 07:29 AM.
08-14-2020, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like to add the XR-7 has a DOF preview which the ME super lacks.
Congratiulations, the XR-7 is quite hard to come by here in Europe.
The lens is a XR Rikenon and it performs as good, if not better as the Pentax A 50 mm 1.7. I only miss the half stops for reasons of smoother operation.
08-14-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In one of those twilight zone moments I watched a movie earlier today (The Arrival) in which someone was using an XR-7 in the opening scene.

They seem comparatively expensive this side of the Pond.
08-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
In one of those twilight zone moments I watched a movie earlier today (The Arrival) in which someone was using an XR-7 in the opening scene.
Got me curious so I had to look. You got a good eye as I almost missed it as they covered the RICOH label on the prism and almost covered the XR7 . . .

08-15-2020, 02:54 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Got me curious so I had to look. You got a good eye as I almost missed it as they covered the RICOH label on the prism and almost covered the XR7 . . .
Nerd, me...? Well, maybe...
08-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #21

Original Poster
I may just look for me an XR7 then, I hope it's a robust camera as mentioned and I also saw a Pentax mg for $20 in very good condition. But the seller said it would only take a picture with the arm halfway out oh, I know the Nikon FG I believe them this but what would cause the Pentax mg to do this