Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never lost anything to the Royal Mail. Courier companies all the time but never the Royal.

08-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a similar problem with one of my MX cameras. I have contacted Asahi Photo in London and they suggest it could be due to the oil drying out. Anyway they quote £85 for the repair and service, which seems reasonable to me. With post and packing near £100 is not bad to get a camera which will nearly feel like new and give you many years of trouble free shooting.
08-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If I cannot find anything locally, Asahi Photo is my fall back option, thanks. And they do know what they're doing. I'd use the opportunity for a general service.

I lost one camera and one tele-converter to the Royal Mail. The camera landed in the wrong continent and was subsequently lost. The converter was never found but never made it out of the UK as far as we could see (destination was Spain). Both were insured, but it's still a pain.

Last edited by Smolk; 08-22-2020 at 01:50 PM.
11-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I didn't get round to posting it (yet) because i was busy, but I read something about 67 mirrors remaining stuck and the following advice:

QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
The correct procedure (applying to the Pentax 6x7 and 67 cameras) is to depress the recessed button to the left of the lens mount, release the shutter once and then wind on (the wind-on lever should spring back to its home position when this reset is done). This properly resets the mirror and the shutter.
I did that with my KX and lo and behold, it worked! I still reckon the camera can do with a service, but this is good to know.
(I depressed the depth of field button with the mirror lock up switch, as that's what the KX has, then took a picture, then wound the film on and everything's back to normal.)

11-08-2020, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I know I'm late but somehow I missed this. Most likely the mirror return gear may need lubrication.
Using the lightest machine oil you can find, put a dab on a small brush and "paint" the dark gear below the mirror catch lever in this picture. Beware: Do not pour oil directly as you only need the smallest amount.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,