Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2020, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Will these run on the current version of Windows? I seem to recall some scanners won't run on current OS. What's a good price for the various Nikon scanners?
I keep an HP PC with a firewire and USB2 ports running Windows Vista as I prefer to run native Nikonscan.
I recently acquired the Nikon Coolscan V with single slide (MA-21) and film strip (SA-21) adapter for under $200 through a local CL listing. I gave this to my son-in-law since he's into film and he runs it on a current PC using Vuescan.

09-01-2020, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I keep an HP PC with a firewire and USB2 ports running Windows Vista as I prefer to run native Nikonscan.
I recently acquired the Nikon Coolscan V with single slide (MA-21) and film strip (SA-21) adapter for under $200 through a local CL listing. I gave this to my son-in-law since he's into film and he runs it on a current PC using Vuescan.

FWIW, Nikonscan will run fine on Windows 10. I've been using my Coolscan V with Nikonscan on Windows 10 for the past few years now without issues.
09-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
FWIW, Nikonscan will run fine on Windows 10. I've been using my Coolscan V with Nikonscan on Windows 10 for the past few years now without issues.
Does that involve the USB driver hack? Since I also run the Coolscan 9000 - which only uses firewire, I don't recall seeing a driver hack for this setup. Is there one?
09-01-2020, 02:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does that involve the USB driver hack? Since I also run the Coolscan 9000 - which only uses firewire, I don't recall seeing a driver hack for this setup. Is there one?
No, but there is a trick to it. Will PM you details.

09-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #20
Pentaxian

One option for about $200 USD you can get a devoted scanning 2012 Mac Mini. It still supports legacy interfaces and I think the last Mini to have Firewire. It's best with a pre Catalina OS version (before 10.15+) upgrade because you'll need new versions of scanning software that may not exist for Catalina. Add a SSD hard drive and it boots up to a logon screen in ~10 seconds.
09-04-2020, 02:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Epson 4990 flatbed for the price of gas to drive there. It's versatile and can scan film up to 8" X 10".
Bought one new for $469 or something like that. I only did quick and dirty scans, however. Eventually sold it for about $150, which I thought was good at the time.

Very versatile for various neg/slide holders.