Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Takumar 2,8 105 or Takumar 3,5 135?

I have a Takumar 2,8 105, and it's quite like the lens on the Asahi Pentax K. When reading backwards (the self portrait is mirrored) starting with Asahi, you will find: Opt. Co, then JAPAN, then TAKUMAR. Then x:x,x (on my lens 1:2,8), then f=xxxmm (on my lens f=105mm) and ending with serial number, written No.xxxxxx, 6 digits as on my lens.
BUT, when following titrisol's link, we will find a Takumar 1.3,5 f=135mm lens that follows exactly the same pattern! And the external design of the two lenses are quite similar too, except for the length.
So, in theory it can be either of the two.
Still, my vote goes to the 105mm. Taking a self portrait in a mirror with a 135mm is possible but not very likely if you have the 105.

By the way, the f-stop is 8.

08-27-2020, 01:42 PM - 5 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dylan Scalet was gracious enough to respond to my email, he has his grandfather's equipment and took pictures of the lenses and camera
- Pentax K s/n 177151
- 55/1.8 Auto-Takumar
- 135/3.5 preset, it has a low S/N 174xxx so maybe the markings changed compared to the one you have on your website

If you want to see the pictures send a PM and I will forward the email

Last edited by titrisol; 08-27-2020 at 01:51 PM.
08-28-2020, 05:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Excellent article and the images are superb, thanks for sharing! Though not exactly by any means, the images and the “found” aspect to the story reminds me a little of Vivian Maier.
08-28-2020, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, what was inherited in 2014 isn't necessarily a proof of what was available in 1958.
Still titrisol seems to be right about the lens in question. It is a 135 3,5, but for another reason:
When following Kevin B123's link and scrolling down to below the last photo, we are invited to the Dylan Scalet's website. When accepting the invitation and clicking on a website, we will find more images, and sharper ones, sharp enough to see more details about the camera and lens on the self portrait.
First: shutter time is 1/8. (F-stop is 8, as mentioned before.)
But the details of the lens is also easier to catch. I said earlier that the 105 and the 135 had the same external design, except for the length. That is not quite correct. The aperture ring on the 105 lens is rather narrow. On the 135 lens, this ring is a bit broader and consisting of an inner ring to grip plus an outer, slightly coned part where the f-stop numbers are engraved.. When looking closely at the self portrait and enlarging it, this small difference on the lens is visible. There is a narrow line of shadow separating the two parts of the aperture ring, which wouldn't be there if it was a 105 mm lens. I have studied my Takumar lenses, and the answer seems clear:The lens used on the self portrait is a Takumar 3,5 135mm.

Epilog:
It is kind of funny that threads starting as an invitation to study the art of photography (Kevin B123) ends with a discussion about tools. As so very many times before.
I take my part of the guilt for that. May be it's because we are not primarily students of art, but Pentaxians?

08-28-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
Epilog:
It is kind of funny that threads starting as an invitation to study the art of photography (Kevin B123) ends with a discussion about tools. As so very many times before.
I take my part of the guilt for that. May be it's because we are not primarily students of art, but Pentaxians?
I'm guilty of bumping it that way with the title, and while my main interest is in the beauty, skill and composition I can see why the kit is of interest. I see that more images have now been added to his web site. I have not visited IG as I am not signed up there.
08-28-2020, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Conclusion: We are a bunch of nerds!!

One of the most interesting pictures is one that has a map of Switzerland and the words NO NO NO
I didn;t realize women couldn't vote in that country until 1959!!!
in 1959 they subjected womens right to vote to a referendum, and it was denied by 2/3 of the people!!!
https://www.jacksharp.co.uk/12603572-88977-photo-4

QuoteOriginally posted by Bosse Quote
Epilog:
08-29-2020, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Conclusion: We are a bunch of nerds!!

One of the most interesting pictures is one that has a map of Switzerland and the words NO NO NO
I didn;t realize women couldn't vote in that country until 1959!!!
in 1959 they subjected womens right to vote to a referendum, and it was denied by 2/3 of the people!!!
Jack Sharp Home
2/3 of the people? Or 2/3 of the men, who could vote?

-Eric
08-29-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The full Jack Sharp collection on the website is just superb and I agree it would make for an excellent coffee table book.

I have lots of books by Cartier Bresson, Don McCullin, Capa, Atget, Willy Ronis etc and I ask myself why they are so appealing to us, possibly more so than current photographers. A major reason is that they are/were all great photographers but I think a part of it is that those photos capture a lost era.

Those fashions, those buildings, those cars, those old long gone b&w film stocks Added to that was the more tolerant attitude to be being photographed and being able to photograph children playing in the streets which we can't do now. I wonder what people in 50-60 years time will think about the stuff we are shooting today?