Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question regarding the mirror box Pentax Z10 / Z20 AF SLRs - What is this part?

I have always wondered what a certain part in my Pentax Z10 is. My Z20 has the same part but it is not present in my MZ-S.

My assumption back in the day (1993) was it's the light meter. It is only on one side of the mirror box. Have a look, it is marked:

Seems to have a fresnel or something and might get light from the mirror. SInce Z10 and Z20 are penta mirror SLRs, maybe the light meter is not in the viewfinder, like in the MZ-S, which has a penta prism. I cant find any parts lists for the Z10 or Z20 to verify, so maybe someone here knows what this part is?

08-25-2020, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

This is just a wild guess.

I don't think its the light meter. That is built into the pentaprism.

I think that it may be the sensor for the TTL flash control. Some of the Pentax cameras from that era controlled the flash by reading the light reflecting off of the film during the exposure and quenching the flash when it decided enough light had reached the film.

It was not until the second generation of Pentax dslrs that they added the p-ttl pre-flash and used the viewfinder mounted light sensors to read the light with the mirror down.

But, I've been wrong before.
08-25-2020, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
This is just a wild guess.
That is my guess as well. My Super Program has a similar indent and supports TTL flash.

Steve
08-25-2020, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #4

Adding to the info database - the *istD which does TTL and P-TTL also has this feature. My K7 and K-1 which don't have TTL don't.

08-25-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
It was not until the second generation of Pentax dslrs that they added the p-ttl pre-flash and used the viewfinder mounted light sensors to read the light with the mirror down.

But, I've been wrong before.
P-TTL has been supported on all Pentax dSLR as well as the *ist, MZ-S, and MZ-6 film bodies (debuted in 2001 on the MZ-6 and MZ-S).

Steve
08-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for the information, esp the *istD part!