Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2020, 11:58 AM   #1

KX, "special shock absorbers"

Hi all.

In the owner's manual for the KX, in the Specifications > Reflex Mirror section, it mentions "special shock absorbers for minimum vibration." Does anyone know what sort of part or mechanism that's referring to?

(I'm thinking of buying a KX and trying to learn all I can about them.)

Thanks in advance.
Andy

09-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Forum Member

Probably a damper to reduce the mirror slab vibrations
09-05-2020, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MX had these too; shock absorbers that minimise mirror vibrations on the upswing.
09-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax made a statement of "special shock absorbers..." in the camera specifications for the Spotmatic II in the late 1960s and continued the practice on most models through the K-series (all models). I just checked my KX, Spotmatic F, and Spotmatic II and all three appear to share the same mechanism.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-05-2020 at 01:15 PM.
09-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. This is interesting.
@Steve, I just looked at the K1000 manual and indeed, I see the same "shock absorbers" wording there.
@microlight, I've read that the MX has a little piston in it for mirror lift damping, but my impression is that Pentax marketed that design as being new for the MX. I wonder what form the shock absorbers take in the pre-MX models?
09-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by andyinsb Quote
Hi all.

In the owner's manual for the KX, in the Specifications > Reflex Mirror section, it mentions "special shock absorbers for minimum vibration." Does anyone know what sort of part or mechanism that's referring to?

Thanks in advance.
Andy
You’ll have a hard time going wrong with a KX.

I really like mine. It’s full featured yet simple. A lot like a Nikon FM, though I prefer the Pentax ergonomics.

I’m also fond of the MX, which is basically the same thing only smaller

-Eric
09-05-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wonder what form the shock absorbers take in the pre-MX models?
If there is something special, it is hard to see on direct observation. I have several SLR bodies from different makers that overlap the late-60s to mid-70s time span* and the mirror mechanism in the Pentax models is not a standout in terms of design sophistication. If there was an advantage, it must have been in regards to mirror bumper materials.

Addendum: I really like my KX. It is a pleasure to use.

Steve

* I compared to Singlex TLS, Mamiya 1000 DTL, Minolta SRT-101/201, Ricoh XR-1/XR-2, and Exakta VX1000. Of the seven, only the Singlex had a simple design similar to the Pentax cameras. Note that all function just fine despite advanced age.

09-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Eric and Steve. That's helpful.
09-05-2020, 07:55 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Hi all.

Thanks in advance.
Andy
...and I just ordered a KX on the large auction site. :-)
11-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #10

Resurrecting because it's the first thread related to my question. Is it feasible and worth it to replace foam rubber that the mirror hits? I am thinking this is the "special shock absorbers" mentioned here.
11-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The ME Super actually has a pneumatic cylinder which damps the mirror, which the ME doesnt have. Part number 0-B40 in the service manual, labelled as the "shock absorber".
11-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aj_chicago Quote
Is it feasible and worth it to replace foam rubber that the mirror hits?
Not only is it feasible, but doing so is strongly advised if the foam is degraded (crumbly, dried out, or gooey. Replacement is part of a standard CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) service.

Steve
11-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by whojammyflip Quote
The ME Super actually has a pneumatic cylinder which damps the mirror, which the ME doesnt have. Part number 0-B40 in the service manual, labelled as the "shock absorber".
Ya, but the question was about the KX. I do have an ME Super and did not know that.

---------- Post added 11-02-21 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not only is it feasible, but doing so is strongly advised if the foam is degraded (crumbly, dried out, or gooey. Replacement is part of a standard CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust) service.

Steve
Thanks. I read a little more and got on youtube. Looks like something I'd want to do, myself.
11-02-2021, 11:48 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Replacing the foam isn't hard. It can just take a while to clean out the old stuff if it's gone really sticky.
11-03-2021, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If doing it yourself be extremely careful when working in that area on any SLR.

Glass focusing screens are easy to stain (and plastic ones melt!) with cleaning fluids.
Mirrors too are delicate and easily damaged, both coating and mechanism.

Chris