Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2020, 12:28 AM - 7 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
how to display a camera collection

Please show how you display your camera collection.

I am looking for good tips on where to get acryllic raiser that can be ordered to measure and any ideas on support under the lens.

How about doors and humidity? Anything I should think about? it is not very humid in Norway, but know others lives where this is an issue.

Half of my collection is about to go into a shelf from Ikea, but it is a mess right now..

Attached Images

09-08-2020, 03:38 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi - I found some acrylic raisers on eBay, there seemed to be some that would do custom sizes. This is pic of my ikea unit before I put the rest of the collection into it on the shelf below. I put some Philips living colors led light strips into it to provide a little illumination.

The lens bit is tricky but normally you can either angle the camera or simply get a deeper riser. I had an old gorilla tripod I don't use that I popped in to give it a little height. I wished I had thought to get at least two more heights of riser, as it really helps to display more cameras.

Good luck! Loving the collection btw.

Rich
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7 Plus  Photo 
09-08-2020, 04:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been wondering if I shall screw mine to a shelf with the tripod mount.

I think you'd be best off making the acrylic raisers yourself, with a little mitre block and a sanding block you should be able to get them looking decent enough, but sanding/buffing them would take time.
Assuming you have time of course!
09-08-2020, 06:43 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Excuse the crude photo-mosaic, my shelves are in a corridor. They aren't really a "display", they are mainly laid out where I can find things moderately quickly and use them. Most of my cameras are for use,a few for interest. None were bought simply to be shelf Queens. The shelving units are Ikea CD shelves. They are more jammed-in than I would like, but I have no more room and so I have to fit things where I can. Heaven knows where I'll put a "big gun" if I ever buy one...

shelves par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

In an ideal world where I lived in a larger house with somewhere I could have display cabinets, I would look to something from the museum world: shallow clear shelves in cabinets with sliding glass doors etc., and purpose cut acrylic stands that would hold cameras at a variety of angles depending on the how high the shelf is to eye-level. If you are wanting to build a fancy display, museum supplies and display designers would be the place to look. It won't be cheap though.

Best wishes, Kris.

09-08-2020, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Please show how you display your camera collection.

I am looking for good tips on where to get acryllic raiser that can be ordered to measure and any ideas on support under the lens.

How about doors and humidity? Anything I should think about? it is not very humid in Norway, but know others lives where this is an issue.

Half of my collection is about to go into a shelf from Ikea, but it is a mess right now..

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. This thread will make it soooo much easier to get my next purchase past my wife ;-)
09-08-2020, 03:12 PM - 6 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

My camera collection is currently stored in my collection of camera bags.
09-08-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It might be better to only display a subset at a time, like all the best museums.
Leave most in storage and rotate through occasionally.

That way the display proper won’t be cluttered.

And it makes things easier to arrange and less complicated... and then you can use the Pentax acrylic stands that appear on eBay occasionally...

-Eric

09-08-2020, 04:57 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Some awesome collections and suggestions here. I like the CD shelf idea a lot, since I've been thinking of ways to get my lenses out of my underwear drawer.
09-08-2020, 06:23 PM - 8 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

You have to have a physical display . . .

. . . as well as virtual display . . .

09-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

great thread...following for ideas.....have several on display already but doesn't hurt to look !
09-08-2020, 08:40 PM - 5 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some of my collection (except for what is in my camera bags). My fiance would like for me to get rid of some of these.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G988U  Photo 
09-09-2020, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep most of my lenses, flashes, and the big stuff (the large format Graflexes) in an airline beverage trolley (Thanks, Delta, for decommissioning those Northwest DC-9s!).
It isn't on display that way, but I can get at much of it quickly.

The old, smaller stuff is on glass shelves to show, though right now it's a bit of a mess...

My other half would also like some of it to go, and she's not wrong... but that takes longer than buying it for some reason

-Eric
09-09-2020, 10:04 AM - 6 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

I have a virtual display, each camera has its own set of 'portraits' done of it once its refurbed and fully tested.

On the shelf it looks like the pic - its a Billy bookcase from Ikea and the cameras sit on glass shelves. They are all in periodic use (at least in theory). They are checked over once every few weeks and of late are used in rotation every few weeks. The live one (eg the one with film in it ready to go) lives in a camera bag so there is always one shy in the collection. When this pic was taken it was probably the Minolta x500 in the gadget bag as its not in the display. Normally they have UV filters and lens caps on each one - the caps are all as as per when the camera was new.

All the accessory stuff like flashes, filters, Tamron Adaptall adaptors, lens hoods, cables straps etc are stored in a cupboard underneath.

The collection has evolved quite a bit and quite a few cameras have been disposed of along the way but I cant see it changing much from here on in.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-TZ70  Photo 
09-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Do you guys work thru a film stockpile or do you buy your films piecemeal? I'm thinking of getting a bulk 100ft roll of kentmere again.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2020 at 11:54 AM ----------

Womble, what's the largest lens you can store in that setup? I'll need somewhere to put my K500, and that looks kinda tight.

Last edited by jcdoss; 09-09-2020 at 11:24 AM.
09-09-2020, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Womble, what's the largest lens you can store in that setup? I'll need somewhere to put my K500, and that looks kinda tight.
The longest lens I have is the K400 (its in the middle). You can just leave shelves out, they are adjustable, so you could create a space big enough for the K500, or even a K1000. My K400 is sharing its cubbyhole with the S-M-C Tak 400, a Super-Tak 70-150 and a rather odd Tamron Twin Tele M42 mount (it is a 135mm lens with a matched teleconvertor to make it 225; it wasn't selling on the UK forum and I felt sorry for it).

Cheers, Kris.