Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2020, 03:53 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Two reversible K1000 mods

I don't like to modify my stuff unless there's a good reason, and unless it's reversible.
One could argue that the first mod is irreversible but it wasn't for the first few weeks, as it proved its utility. It could still be reversed down the road with a new leatherette covering.

WTH am I talking about?

First mod: Rubberized finger grip and thumb grip.
It always annoyed me that the older K-mount cameras (and no doubt the M42 cameras which I don't own) had flat areas for handling the camera with only slightly tacky grippy leatherette surfaces. I picked up a Super A once and that little finger grip vastly improved handling. So, I went out to emulate my own for the K1000 I had, plus the K2.

I found this: amazon.com : Flipbac FBG3 Camera Grip for Point & Shoot Digital Cameras : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I bought a couple back when they were way less expensive than that and measured one against the camera. They are pretty tall, so I cut off the last cm or so and made a rear mounted thumb grip out of it. They cut fairly easy with an exacto knife (what doesn't cut easily with an exacto knife?) or a regular pair of scissors. Just cut it to fit the front of the camera, and use the rest for the rear surface. They come with self-adhesive that sticks pretty well for a few days of use, then starts to slip and slide all over the place. If you like the fit or feel (I want to say "the cut of it's jib" here, but it doesn't seem appropriate), then peel them off and re-adhere it to the leatherette with Gorilla Glue for a permanent stick. That's what I did a couple-three years ago and they haven't moved since. It has improved the joy of using these cameras manyfold, as now I don't have to worry about losing my grip on the camera, and I can operate it one-handed with ease.

The other mod I did, which is barely a mod, is visible in these photos. I installed my own EXIF recorder on the camera. What's that, you say? I added multiple layers of masking tape to extend across the entire back of the camera. When I take a shot, I have that strip there to remind me to write down the settings. I have a pen in my pocket, which is there because I saw the strip when I picked up the camera before I left, thereby remembering to bring it. The data is saved on the camera temporarily on the aperture ring and shutter speed dial for easy relocation to the tape. I usually need one strip of tape for every 12 shots, so 2 for 24exp and 3 for 36exp. I just layer the tape strips on top of each other, and they peel apart easily when the time comes. When changing rolls, just peel off the strips carefully so as not to tear them up and affix to a flat surface, like a sheet of paper which preserves vital data that you wrote there. You can transfer the data in electronic form using GUI for ExifTool, or LensTagger in Lightroom. Data could include things like shutter speed, aperture, location, lens that was used, and maybe even a phone number for some hot chick you met on the way. You never know what'll come of it! And it's as cheap as a pen and 12 inches of tape!

PS: The last image is posting upside down for reasons I don't understand. It shows rightside up before I upload it, but here it is upside down. I deleted and reposted it a couple times with same result. A Hot Chick might offer her help if she sees you using your camera upside down as shown in the photo, so maybe that's why it's there? Who knows? The Universe must have a reason.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto g power  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Moto g power  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Moto g power  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Moto g power  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Moto g power  Photo 

Last edited by jcdoss; 09-09-2020 at 04:08 PM.
09-09-2020, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some good ideas. I like the fact the tape is a reminder to bring a pen. By the time of the mx, there is a pocket for the film box tab on the back so when you put a roll in you can place the box tab with film info on it inside. Helps you remember what ASA you were using if you haven't used the camera in a while or you have 3 cameras with different films. You could fold an index card in it also for shot reference.
09-09-2020, 04:39 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
When one gets older, one usually gets wiser at the expense of memory. So the tape was a stroke of genius if I say so myself, since I've never forgotten to bring a pen when film photographing since coming up with it. I forgot to get 2 liter bottles for mixing and storing developer, sure, but I had the darn pen with me.

Last edited by jcdoss; 09-09-2020 at 04:53 PM.
09-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

that's cool ! thanks for sharing

09-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the tape idea!

Thanks
09-15-2020, 03:27 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I must admit that I have never bothered to record the shutter speed/aperture combo for my film images. Most of the time I don't even remember which lens I have used unless it is something obvious like the fisheye or the shift lens. Sometimes, I'll deliberately shoot whole roll with one lens just to check that particular lens out on film / "full frame".
09-16-2020, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Some good ideas. I like the fact the tape is a reminder to bring a pen. By the time of the mx, there is a pocket for the film box tab on the back so when you put a roll in you can place the box tab with film info on it inside. Helps you remember what ASA you were using if you haven't used the camera in a while or you have 3 cameras with different films. You could fold an index card in it also for shot reference.
This just gave me the idea of turning the box tab around to record settings on it. I do tend to sometimes have a tiny handwriting so should be fine!