Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2020, 05:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for posting this and also to all of the other responding posts, there a lot of knowledge and history in this thread, and some nice photos of gorgeous samples.

09-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Baard-Einar - so the M42 58/f2.4 is even rarer than the S model! Fascinating.
09-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my AP and 58/f2.4 in pride-of-place on my bookshelf! I make an Alfred Hitchcock-like cameo appearance (or at least the top of my head does) in the picture frame on the shelf below the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
09-17-2020, 07:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Now, if you could only get an AP-50 to go with it. Sadly, Pentax only made one, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original AP. It was a bone-stock K10d, with a silver and black body, with a pentaprism cover that is very reminiscent of the AP.

Not to hijack this thread, but I noticed in the advertisement, posted earlier, that the address for Asahi Optical was in New York. I always thought that, after WWII, the Japanese companies worked with American companies to import their cameras, as setting up a US subsidiary could be expensive and risky. Plus, the Japanese were short of hard currency in the aftermath of the war. In the case of Pentax, this was Heiland, which became (or was purchased by) Honeywell. Does anyone know the history?

09-17-2020, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
A few tiny scratches here and there and a little ding on top. But it still looks great! Keep in mind, it is about 63 years old!
That basically describes me as well!.

Congratulation on your find and enjoy the camera.

Phil.
09-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way to go! I'm smiling for you.
09-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Now, if you could only get an AP-50 to go with it. Sadly, Pentax only made one, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the original AP. It was a bone-stock K10d, with a silver and black body, with a pentaprism cover that is very reminiscent of the AP.

Not to hijack this thread, but I noticed in the advertisement, posted earlier, that the address for Asahi Optical was in New York. I always thought that, after WWII, the Japanese companies worked with American companies to import their cameras, as setting up a US subsidiary could be expensive and risky. Plus, the Japanese were short of hard currency in the aftermath of the war. In the case of Pentax, this was Heiland, which became (or was purchased by) Honeywell. Does anyone know the history?
Hi Paul,

I found that interesting as well. I think Honeywell/Heiland started distributing Pentax in 1959 with the S2(H2). Before that Sears sold them under Tower 26 (AP and S) and Tower 29 (K). I wonder if the NY address was just a distributor? Interesting.

Thanks,

---------- Post added 09-17-20 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
That basically describes me as well!
Phil.
I was waiting for the first one to say that

09-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found this add in a "Life" magazine from November 17th, 1972. It shows Honeywell Pentax in the US & Mexico, Asahi Pentax elsewhere and in Canada Pentax was distributed by McQueen Sales, which was owned by Honeywell. However cameras in Canada were always "Asahi" and not "Honeywell" Pentax. The McQueen address on West 3rd Avenue was later the Pentax Head office in Canada and was located a few blocks from where I live now in Vancouver. The Honeywell/McQueen involvement in Pentax ended in 1976 I believe. The middle image is the back of a Pentax manual, showing the Pentax offices around the world in the mid 1970's.

Phil.
Attached Images

09-17-2020, 12:46 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
In the US, Sears sold this camera under the name Tower 26.
Very interesting. I think that was the camera my dad had when I was a little kid. Sadly, he passed away over 50 years ago, and I have no idea what happened to the camera.
09-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #25
Pentaxian

I have an AP that is currently not working but I hope that it might be fixed when I get a chance to send it off. Cosmetically, it looks very nice!

Have fun using yours. As nice as these cameras are to look at, they were intended to be used (and in fact, some use keeps them fit!).

Cheers, Kris.
09-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #26
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have some 46mm filter auto tak 55 1.8, 2 and 2.2s as well as the Tak 58 2.4-- i can see a comparison coming up!!
09-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have an AP that is currently not working but I hope that it might be fixed when I get a chance to send it off. Cosmetically, it looks very nice!

Have fun using yours. As nice as these cameras are to look at, they were intended to be used (and in fact, some use keeps them fit!).

Cheers, Kris.
You're right of course that is both photogenic and very good shooter. Getting the hang of shooting meterless in daylight is actually very easy due to the huge latitude of most color negatives as well as b&w. Pentax started on the right foot giving the AP a lifesize and relatively bright viewfinder for it's day. And the Takumar 55mm f2.2 preset that mine came with has ten blades making for some very nice bokeh and also provide very sharp results.

Some examples on Kodak Gold 100.

Mounted on extension rings.

09-18-2020, 12:43 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi All,

My Asahi Pentax (AP) have the following serial numbers 141445, 145191, and 147828, for what it is worth!

Regards,
Gordon.
09-18-2020, 02:53 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done getting the AP. Just a heads-up on using it often. I have a mint condition K model, not used since being serviced by Erik. Every now and then I would wind and fire it to keep things working. Before I had a chance to put a film in it, a shutter-blind strap let go (also happened to an SV of mine). I think that age just leads to dried out fabrics and glues, which let go without warning. I still need to get mine repaired - one day, maybe.
09-25-2020, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

*UPDATE*
I was able to get this period correct Takumar 55 f2.2 Preset for the AP. This lens was made between 1957 and 1959. So it is at least 61 years old (as of 9/25/2020).
It was a bit tired but solid. Just took a rejuvenating spa

As received:

Did not take it apart other than the front name plate as the glass looks good.

After:

Beautiful 10 blades diaphragm

Welcome home Mr. Takumar! Welcome home!

Hope to use it soon...

Thanks,