Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2020, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #1

Battery

Good Day. I have a Pentax Spotmatic SP. I have tried the required batteries but to no avail. Is there anyone out there who can help. I need to know if the connection from battery to light meter is dead. This is the only conclusion I can come to as I know the batteries I have tried are good. The terminal is clean even though it has not been used for a long time. No corrosion. Any offers of help/advice welcome. Thank you.

09-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The vast majority of Spotmatics I’ve used have had a dead meter. I’d recommend using a light meter app (there’s several available) or investing in an external meter.

As you probably know, the SP is fully mechanical and doesn’t need batteries to work (except the meter).
09-18-2020, 04:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
The vast majority of Spotmatics I’ve used have had a dead meter. I’d recommend using a light meter app (there’s several available) or investing in an external meter.

As you probably know, the SP is fully mechanical and doesn’t need batteries to work (except the meter).
Thank you Nick. I do have an external meter somewhere..
09-18-2020, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

If you search this forum you'll find allot of threads on this topic. I think the battery is a 387S and there are variable versions of this...I think 384...

09-18-2020, 06:21 AM   #5

Don't take for granted that the terminal is clean, even though there aren't any signs of corrosion. You should clean the terminal connection in the body with a pencil eraser, or even take some fine (0000) steel wool to clean it and the threads. Also, don't forget the screw cap for the battery compartment. It's part of the circuit. Clean the inside of the compartment cap, along with the threads.

If you want to make the investment, there are adapters which contain a diode which allow for 386 batteries to be used, providing the 1.35v needed.
09-18-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by flan020 Quote
Good Day. I have a Pentax Spotmatic SP. I have tried the required batteries but to no avail. Is there anyone out there who can help. I need to know if the connection from battery to light meter is dead. This is the only conclusion I can come to as I know the batteries I have tried are good. The terminal is clean even though it has not been used for a long time. No corrosion. Any offers of help/advice welcome. Thank you.
A Energzier 387S will do the trick; or a 384 with an o-ring gasket
Clean the battery terminal with an eraser (back of a pencil) and blow a few times
09-18-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

You can check the batteries with a volt meter. If they test good and the in-camera battery test (full downward needle deflection in "B" when meter switch is in "on" position) show not, that would be an indication of the meter being dead or the battery being upside down in its chamber. The "+" side should face towards the cap.

Steve
09-18-2020, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pendennis Quote
Don't take for granted that the terminal is clean, even though there aren't any signs of corrosion. You should clean the terminal connection in the body with a pencil eraser, or even take some fine (0000) steel wool to clean it and the threads. Also, don't forget the screw cap for the battery compartment. It's part of the circuit. Clean the inside of the compartment cap, along with the threads.

If you want to make the investment, there are adapters which contain a diode which allow for 386 batteries to be used, providing the 1.35v needed.
Yes...a clean looking terminal might still have a film of oxidation that effect it. I've experienced that a few times. I like to use a fiberglass brush to clean electrical contacts...but it does produce fiberglass particles so you have to blow it out after cleaning.

09-20-2020, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's also common on these old cameras for the wire connecting to the battery terminal under the bottom cover to break off from corrosion. Easy to remove the cover and see, resolder if needed.