Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2020, 01:00 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Honeywell Heiland Pentax H1

Hello,

By now you should get a slight idea that I am a fan of these meterless Pentax cameras.
I have documented these in numerous other threads, but in short, the S (H) series of cameras was the successor of the original "trifecta" of the AP, S and K.
This was the last series of cameras without internal light meters. They were designated S in most markets and H mostly in the USA presumably due to the importer Honeywell Heiland, but are exactly the same. They were succeeded by the Spotmatic family in the mid 60's. Yet they co-existed for a while as the SV(H3v) and S1a(H1a) were built until 1968 or so. The chronology and the names don't match. As the first one was the S2(H2) in 1959, then the S3(H3) in late 1960 or early 1961 and then the S1(H1) in 1961 as the lower cost sibling of the H3 with only 1/500 top shutter speed and kitted with a slower lens, usually the 55 f2.2 instead of the 55 f1.8.
Despite been the lower cost sibling, the H1(S1) is the rarest of the S(H) series. There were less than 50,000 (some sources say 46,500) made when the second lowest production is at least 130,000 units.
It should not be confused with the S1a(H1a)
Not surprisingly, that was the one missing in my H series collection. A few months ago I found this Honeywell - Heiland H1 advertised as non-working. I've been lucky and have been able to "fix" a few. But this one is a different story. Cosmetically, it is pretty much mint, but the first curtain is acting up. I've been fighting it for over a month, but it needs professional help. My fear is that it may not be repairable. It would be a shame as it is beautiful!
Anyways, while waiting it's turn to be sent to the doctor, a quick clean up and it looks like this:

You can see the first curtain acting up in this pic.

Thanks,

09-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We’ll be keeping our fingers crossed for the repair, it is a beauty! Sequential model names have never been a Pentax thing, lol.
09-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice looking copy.

What is really interessting is the early serial number. According to van Oostens book it is belived that the S1/H1 was found in the S/N range 303001 to 500000.
09-22-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Nice looking copy.

What is really interessting is the early serial number. According to van Oostens book it is belived that the S1/H1 was found in the S/N range 303001 to 500000.
That is interesting. I found an old post in the marketplace archives of one sold here about 6 year ago and the SN was 282xxx Slightly lower than mine.

Thanks,
Ismael

09-22-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a H1a that I think has probably the best ergonomics of any 35mm SLR I've used in terms of bringing joy in its use.

It's not very fast, it's certainly not fancy, and the focusing screen is terrible, but man, it is fun to use.

And I love that it's "the cheap one" with the 'secret' high speed shutter, yet I can't imagine getting any more satisfaction out of a S3...

I keep thinking I'd like to get one of the older models, but I don't think I have the need.
I can't imagine an AP or K would be any more fun to use, even if one would look awesome on the shelf.

And the "other" Eric fixed my H1a when the shutter went a little wonky...

-Eric
09-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found that the ribbons on the blinds dry out and let go. Fresh made blinds would be the most desirable solution, but expensive.
09-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
WOHOO!

Ok, so I can come up with a great made up story on how hard it was and how great I am.... but the reality is that it almost fixed itself! Let me explain:

The camera was advertised a "non-working". Fair enough. The mirror was stuck up. A common issue. First order of business, clean and lightly lubricate the mirror return gear. That has fixed several cameras before. So the mirror starts to cooperate and after some exercise, it starts to work. GREAT! But the shutter is not completing the travel. Hmmm, that seems to be more serious. I clean around it, and very lightly cleaned and lubed the cogs and gears. Eventually, the shutter starts to complete the cycle, but I noticed 2 issues: The first curtain was very slow, causing severe capping, and not all speeds were working. I'm still not brave enough to disassemble a shutter and take the curtains out, especially on an almost mint vintage camera. So I keep cleaning and lightly lubricating every gear I can reach. After a few days, it seemed I was loosing the battle. Then it occurred to me: Lets' do another round of cleaning/lubing and leave the camera upside down overnight. That turned into a few days upside down in a bin, partly disassembled.
So I was going to make a video of it to send to a camera repair guy (either Eric or Mike) when I noticed the shutter worked at 1/60. Started to test it and it started to work. Several rounds of exercise at all speed and it finally started to work properly at all speeds! See? Cameras need exercise! not me!
At the end I did a round side by side with an SV and they are very close. While I still think the curtains could use a bit more speed, I think it is promising enough to try with a roll.

Anyways, here is a video after assembly and cleaning.

Thanks,
Ismael