Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help a brother out? Need camera advice...

I'm seriously considering acquiring a KA body, and looking for advice. Most specifically, I'm hoping to see if there is consensus about which auto-aperture Pentax is the most reliable.

I have no significant history with SLR's, having been essentially an organic remote shutter release for people who know what they are doing... But shooting film has been on my mind for months, and I have a lovely collection of Tamron Adaptall-2 lenses with PKA adapters and a few other film-era lenses, so finding the right camera to use with them seems pretty logical.

Most likely the vast majority of my shooting will be outdoors in good light.

Thoughts (please)?

Edit: can't splurge on something great like an LX...

09-30-2020, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Join the cult: K1000

Ohh you mean KA: I have a P30t and I like it. I also like the ZX-7 and ZX-M but those are prone to mirror gear failure.
The Super Program is also very nice.

Thanks,
09-30-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You have the luxury of going with some of the later "Pro" bodies like the MZ-S or PZ-1P. Although bodies of that era are often referred to as "big, black blobs" they have held up pretty well. I have used both and they work. Might also make an easier transition from digital bodies since they are more "modern" in their approach. I would avoid the *ist or the ZX series other than the MZ-S.
09-30-2020, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm hoping to see if there is consensus about which auto-aperture Pentax is the most reliable.
For aperture priority, any K-mount lens with an aperture ring will work just great. Likewise, one does not require an "A" series body to do aperture priority work. That said, conventional wisdom is that if one has exposure automation, the option of metered manual is strongly recommended. Below is a short list of cameras I can recommend followed by a few that are highly regarded by users on this site (no particular order).
  • Pentax Super Program (aka Super A): P, Av, Tv, and M modes, TTL flash, full information viewfinder in P mode, support power wider
  • Ricoh XR7: Av and M with full information viewfinder (LCD needle), supports winder
  • Ricoh XR-2s: same as above, but with match needle display
  • Ricoh XR-2: same as XR-2s, but without winder support

PF user favs (other than the above)...
  • Pentax ME Super: Av and M with full information viewfinder (LED display), supports winder
  • Pentax Program Plus (aka Program A): P, Av, M and no TTL flash, otherwise similar to Super Program
  • Pentax K2: Av and M with match-needle display of shutter speed in viewfinder
Some might add the Pentax P3n, P3t and P5 (aka P30n, P30t, and P50) bodies to the list as durable program exposure cameras offering Av and M, but with the caution that the ISO is read off the film cassette and cannot be manually set by the user.

In regards to reliability...
Conventional wisdom for late 70s through 1980s manual focus cameras is that if the camera is clean and fully operational, it is a survivor and with reasonable care will continue to serve well. I never babied the XR7 that I bought in 1982, nor either of two XR7s that took its place.* Ditto for the XR-2s and Super Program. The XR-2 has not seen much use because it is waiting for new seals. All have been trouble free.

Steve

* My original XR7 would likely still be doing just fine except for having its aperture coupling mangled when mated to a defective Zenitar fisheye

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-30-2020 at 03:10 PM.
09-30-2020, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The SFX and SFXn (the better of the two) can always be found for very few $$$. Keep a lookout of one with the AA battery grip as the regular battery grip takes rather expensive batteries. Most people don't like their blocky styling but they're very comfortable to hold.
09-30-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

If you're looking for manual focus with aperture priority, I would look the original Pentax ME , or the P3n/P30t. Both are underrated cameras IMO.
The Pentax K2 was/is a personal favorite of mine.
09-30-2020, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You guys are fonts of information, thank you!

The Super Program and ME Super have been the bodies most on my mind since growing serious about this endeavor - I guess those are obvious choices - but there is certainly more research for me to do.

09-30-2020, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Join the cult: K1000

Pentax KM: All the goodness of a K1000, plus a wee bit more.

No AE as mentioned. Doubt you'll miss it, though...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 09-30-2020 at 03:48 PM.
09-30-2020, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here are 3rd party k-mount cameras too if you arent tooo picky of the name on the front of the camera that are good (check the reviews section)
09-30-2020, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #10

If you want something loaded with features and don't care if it's a bit plasticy, go with the Super Program. Think of it as the equivalent to Canon's AE1 Program or Minolta's X700. The ME Super has a better feeling build quality, but I've found they generally have more problems. I wouldn't go with any AF bodies if you're going to shoot with MF lenses, the experience of focusing is more difficult with the plain focusing screen. If you don't need manual exposure, you could go with the ME or ME SE. I prefer the SE because the smooth leatherette is nicer feeling than the typical leatherette. Good luck!
09-30-2020, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I've become a fan of the Program Plus/A. Slightly fewer features than the Super Program/A but they seem to be available in better shape and a lower price point. The only real downside is they're battery dependent. Also, don't overthink it too much. Get one in good shape and start shooting. Assuming you didn't get ripped off you'll be able to sell and recover most of what you spent if you find you want something else.
09-30-2020, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe it's the Chinon CP-7M that can control the aperture of any K-mount lens with a stop-down lever. If you don't mind push-buttons and LCD's, which any of the Pentax cameras mentioned have in some flavor or other...

I'd probably go looking for a Super Program, or better yet a Program A, if I wanted a Pentax that controls the aperture in-body. Pentax camera controls seem so foreign to me based on pictures and descriptions. I really like my Ricoh XR7 but it doesn't offer in-body aperture control.
09-30-2020, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think this is going to come down to ergonomics...

How do you want to use the camera? If you want the experience to be as much like digital as possible, you'll probably want one of the newer cameras.
If you want to use DA lenses on film and control your own aperture, you'll certainly want a newer, AF camera.

If you want the feel of an antique, but you want mostly-modern exposure, the Super Program...
And the Super Program has what is to me the most intuitive shutter/aperture arrangement. If you want the camera to set the shutter speed, set it to Auto. If you want the camera to set the aperture, set it to A. If you want to set the shutter/aperture yourself, set the aperture on the lens and the shutter on the body. Easy

And there's lots in between.
Someone recommended the P3n (NEd). The P-series bodies, while mostly identical, have a few differences you may care about (or not).
But they're cheap, relatively robust, and make an interesting bridge between the old world and the new one.

And the DX coding thing is mostly only an issue if you roll your own film.

I'd suggest you get some cameras in your hands if you can and see how they feel.
The lenses make the picture, and you have those, so the rest is shopping for any particular features you have to have and how it feels in your hands and looks through the viewfinder...

Good luck!

-Eric
09-30-2020, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Politely, I myself wouldn't buy a camera where I couldn't easily select my own ISO metering, so this is another reason why a lot of Pentax film cameras after the Super Program are not on a list of cameras I would own.
09-30-2020, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Politely, I myself wouldn't buy a camera where I couldn't easily select my own ISO metering, so this is another reason why a lot of Pentax film cameras after the Super Program are not on a list of cameras I would own.
I don't know about the other later models, but while the SFX and SFXn will read DX codes, you can manually input the correct ISO regardless.