Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Right. I didn't say "All of them", I said "a lot", and I believe a lot of the sub $100 bodies out there are of the type that don't allow for setting the ISO manually.

09-30-2020, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Right now I'm leaning toward the ME Super... I'm not looking to necessarily replicate the DSLR experience, and the large OVF is mighty enticing
09-30-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Right now I'm leaning toward the ME Super... I'm not looking to necessarily replicate the DSLR experience, and the large OVF is mighty enticing
The nice thing about the ME-Super is that it can continue to function even with a flat battery.
09-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Right. I didn't say "All of them", I said "a lot", and I believe a lot of the sub $100 bodies out there are of the type that don't allow for setting the ISO manually.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I don't know about the other later models, but....
I'm pretty sure I did not imply or said that you said "all of them" or "a lot" My experience is only with the SFX and SFXn, as stated.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-30-2020 at 08:01 PM.
09-30-2020, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And the DX coding thing is mostly only an issue if you roll your own film.
It depends on the brand of film and whether the box speed is appropriate for the intended processing. A list of the less expensive and more intriguing emulsions that are not DX encoded includes:
  • Arista
  • Astrum
  • Ferrania
  • Holga
  • Potsdam
  • BPS Vision3
Several films that are DX-encoded have "nominal" ISO ratings that may not apply to one's usual processing options. Of course, there are numerous workarounds, but it is still good to know up front what surprises may be in store.

Steve
09-30-2020, 10:57 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Excellent gateway body. If you've not yet looked through one of these viewfinders with a decently fast-fifty attached, you're in for an eye-opening treat.
I'd suggest the Super-Program (also known as Super-A in some markets) as well, if not a tad more. Honestly any of the program cameras are very good, compact starters and which ever you come across in the best condition for a good price is the way to go. None will disappoint. (They can all shoot at set speed, 1/125th is common, even without battery as mentioned above re: the ME Super.)

Personally I don't care for the touch-button manual operation, but if using in aperture priority mainly as you mention, that's not a concern. (And many folks happen to love it.)
I've turned no less than three shooters onto Pentax film bodies by way of a program variety camera in the past few years.
10-01-2020, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would prefer the Chinon CE-4 above the Pentax ME-Super. It has all the features oft the ME-Super - except the non-battery time of 1/125 - and additionaly a depth of field preview and an AE memory button. I found the ergonomics much better too, with the time set by a wheel instead of the two fiddely buttons of the ME-Super. And despite having only a plastic body top it is in my opinion the more reliable camera.

The Ricoh XR-7 and the XR-S are comparable from their features, but I can't say any more about them.

One remark on the super programm. This was my camera after the Chinon (which died because I dropped it from my shoulder onto hard ground) and it is a wonderfull camera, despites the fiddely buttons for time and LCD illumination. But it is not the most reliable too. In its case it is the electronic of the mount, that will lead to a nonfonctional camera. A quite common problem (mine has it).

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 10-01-2020 at 02:28 AM.
10-01-2020, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #23

I like the Superprogram. So much that after I sold my old one off after going digital, I ended up getting another one. You can also use more modern lenses that do not have the aperture ring on it, just not in aperture priority mode. It does need a small button battery, but they are readily available so not an issue. What ever body you get, there are a nearly unlimited amount of old K mount lenses to use, and with a an adaptor, even more screw mount lenses.

Have fun

JIm

Jim
10-01-2020, 10:36 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
One remark on the super programm. This was my camera after the Chinon (which died because I dropped it from my shoulder onto hard ground) and it is a wonderfull camera, despites the fiddely buttons for time and LCD illumination. But it is not the most reliable too. In its case it is the electronic of the mount, that will lead to a nonfonctional camera. A quite common problem (mine has it).
I'd agree with this. I had a SP a number of years back that had some electronic issues - eventually donated it to Eric. Though my current Super-Program has been rock-solid and bang-on for 4 or 5 years... but I generally don't trust any of these program varieties as I do the mechanical flavors.

Along those lines, I no longer go near Chinon with a 10-foot pole. I've been burned again and again by them. Great feature sets for the money but in my opinion some of the most unreliable and fragile bodies ever made. (I in fact just chucked my last one into a Goodwill giveaway box earlier this week!)
10-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
The higher end models in the ZX/MZ line will let you set the IS), like the MZ-5 and the MZ-3, and I think those are not too expensive if you can find them?
10-01-2020, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KEH is currently offering a 180 day warranty on their used stuff, which may be a better choice than chancing it on an auction site...

They have a BGN condition PZ-20 for $14... and some ME Supers for a bit more than that

-Eric
10-01-2020, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

My "Super Program" was a real 'trooper' - giving me over twelve years of service before I switched to Canon because I fell in love with their EF/usm lenses - then it served as backup to the Canon for another eleven years {I did have to pull it out of storage just a year before I went digital}. The last time I ran a roll of film through it {about a year ago} it still worked fine.
10-01-2020, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Investment strategy

Suggest you buy a Pentax model Eric Hendrickson still works on.
Then send it to him for service - whether you think it needs it or not!

Chris
10-01-2020, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A local camera store with used gear is also another good option. You should be able to test out the used camera for a 30 day period, with the option to return with a full refund. That gives you time for a couple test rolls and since the store is local, no shipping in either direction.

Phil.
10-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My "Super Program" was a real 'trooper' - giving me over twelve years of service before I switched to Canon because I fell in love with their EF/usm lenses - then it served as backup to the Canon for another eleven years {I did have to pull it out of storage just a year before I went digital}. The last time I ran a roll of film through it {about a year ago} it still worked fine.
Your brief, understated "tribute" to your Super Program in the Reviews section did have an impact on me. The camera being so reliable for you is what I hope to experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Suggest you buy a Pentax model Eric Hendrickson still works on.
Then send it to him for service - whether you think it needs it or not!

Chris
That is an excellent suggestion.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
A local camera store with used gear is also another good option. You should be able to test out the used camera for a 30 day period, with the option to return with a full refund. That gives you time for a couple test rolls and since the store is local, no shipping in either direction.

Phil.
I don't have a local shop with film gear, however there is a "vintage store" not too far from me that I plan on visiting next week. Over the years I've bought several lenses there.