Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #1

Spotmatic Meter switch fix?

My spotmatic used to return the meter switch to off after taking a shot, and then promptly quit doing that a few years ago. I haven't worked with one that did return the switch since, but it is said to be a native function of the Spotties. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what causes it to stop working, and if there is an easy (relatively) fix for it?

10-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen that, mine developed that in the 90s and it never bothered me.
I guess is a problem of age and old lubricants

PS, in the National camera service manual figure 26-27-28, there is a spring that brings the switch down after firing
that moves a lever than I guess needs a dab of lubrication

Last edited by titrisol; 10-06-2020 at 05:48 PM.
10-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, the switch is supposed to return; at least it does on my SPII. It fails to do so on my SP and SP F, something I have been meaning to take up with the tech who did the CLA on the SP F.

Steve
10-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
I was under the impression that the spot Fís didnít include that function since they were intended to use the open aperture metering feature, the three Iíve used havenít done it at least. Clearly thatís not a good indicator of how they worked 40+ years ago though 😁

10-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Lyle Quote
I was under the impression that the spot Fís didnít include that function since they were intended to use the open aperture metering feature, the three Iíve used havenít done it at least. Clearly thatís not a good indicator of how they worked 40+ years ago though 😁
It is hard to say. They are supposed to transparently support regular Super-Taks. I will ask my tech.

Steve
10-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Lyle Quote
I just read the same thing somewhere... it may have been at the "other" site...

But it makes sense since you're metering differently... and it isn't hard to turn it off when using an 'obsolete' lens...

-Eric
10-09-2020, 02:12 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is hard to say. They are supposed to transparently support regular Super-Taks. I will ask my tech.

Steve
Contrarily to the preceding models, the Spotmatic F does not have a automatic return to OFF , for the lever on the left.

On the F the lever does not cut the circuit, but toogles between open aperture and real aperture measure modes.
It is a photoswitch that performs the circuit cut-off on Spotmatic F, as well as on the Pentax KM and K1000.
10-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Praktica*ist Quote
On the F the lever does not cut the circuit, but toogles between open aperture and real aperture measure modes.
Yes, it serves to switch between the stop-down meter circuit and the open-aperture circuit (they are separate). It also serves to activate the coupling "flipper" in the mirror box. Leaving the switch in the "On" position leave the flipper in the "up" position with the lens stopped down. This is both an annoyance and a hazard if lens removal is attempted.

In other words, the action on other Spotmatic cameras is intentional from both a usability and a functional standpoint. As for battery consumption. I am pretty sure leaving the switch in the up position leaves the meter on, though I will have to check again with the schematic to confirm.

Addendum: Confirmed empirically that the meter circuit shuts off at EV2 when doing stop-down metering.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-09-2020 at 03:23 PM.