Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ME Super Shutter speed problem

I just acquired a ME Super (hooray!). However, I've got a problem with it: No matter what shutter speed I set it to, or what shutter speed the Auto mode sets it to, it fires at an unknown (fast) shutter speed. One person I talked two whom I somewhat trust said that this is a sign of a dieing shutter and needs to be repaired. Is this true, or am I just doing something really stupid?

(Please say I'm doing something stupid!)

11-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is how my ME super died. It would go to the flash speed and stay there. The first time I lost all my one and only shuttle lunch photos. I sent it into the shop to get in repaired. It was OK after that for about 6 months. Lost most of the photos from a model shoot. Sent it to a new shop. Worked for about a month and went out again. This time lost some photos from the north ridge earthquake. It was still under warranty so the shop repaired it at no charge. Worked for about 6-7 months and went out. By this time I knew what to look for so I did not loose any photos. All the in and out was costing more then getting a new camera so I gave it to my father who is also uses Pentax. He used it for flash work only.

I still kind of miss that camera. It was my first Pentax and I used my own money when I was in high school.

DAZ.
11-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like another job for Eric Hendrickson.
He is an expert on the ME Super.

Chris
11-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I just got my ME Super out of the shop a week ago because of a shutter speed problem. It seems no matter what I set it to, it fired at about 1/125 of a second. The repairman (he likes Pentax) took it apart and cleaned all the contacts & electronics, and that has fixed it. He said the electronics can go bad, but not in my case (knock on wood).

It cost $125 for the repair. I bought the camera new and probably only have 25 or 30 rolls through it, so felt comfortable paying the repair.

I'm hoping it will last my lifetime.

11-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eric Hendrickson

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sounds like another job for Eric Hendrickson.
He is an expert on the ME Super.

Chris
You have nothing to lose sending your camera to Eric for an evaluation and he is the best technician in North America (possibly the world) for manual Pentax gear.

Typical complete CLA's are less than $65; I have never paid more than $75 fo a camera repair and I have sent him some real "barn find" cameras for rehabilitation.

From Eric' website - Click -
Pentax Camera Service - Estimating

When I receive your equipment, I will look it over, enter it into the computer system with your name and address and the type of equipment and then describe in detail what I have to do to bring it back to good working order. I will also list the parts necessary for the repair.
After doing all the paperwork I will either email you or send a hard copy of the estimate to you. Once the estimate is paid for I will complete the repair and ship it back either by USPS or UPS. After payment has been received it should only take three or four days for it to be ready to be shipped back.
If the unit is not repairable or if you refused the estimate I will return it at no cost to you. My estimates are free.
I do not charge a lot for repairs. For example, a Pentax Spotmatic, my charge is 63.00 dollars. This includes shipping and minor parts like light seals, counter cap, leatherettes, springs, etc. The K1000’s and ME Super's are the same price.

11-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I've got a local repair shop just down the street from me, so I'll go see what they'd charge. Chances are I'll probably end up sending it to Eric, though.