Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Diopters for MX?

I just got my first MX today, and it mostly works (except the light seals, which I do plan to replace with black yarn). However, I realized that with the default diopter, the viewfinder is kind of fuzzy. On my LX, I use a diopter correction of -1.5D, and on my Nikon FM2, I have used both -2D and -4D diopters with good results, so I guess I need a diopter for my MX too. But a quick search here on the user review section and on eBay turned out nothing. I wonder what options do I have for diopter correction on the MX?

Sincerely

P.S. As why I am using a MX now... My LX recently developed a minor fault and was sent out for a second CLA (after two years of good service), so I purchased this MX before sending it out, and the LX got damaged beyond repair by the shipping carrier. Though I am trying to file a claim for that, I guess I will be using the MX for at least quite a while.

10-13-2020, 09:39 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax made diopter correctors for the two sizes of eye piece they used: K series cameras and earlier, and M series cameras and later. The M series and later accessories fit everything from the M series cameras right up to the current models. The earlier correctors rarely turn-up on ebay, so most will fit the MX even if they do not explicitly say so.
10-13-2020, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
But a quick search here on the user review section and on eBay turned out nothing. I wonder what options do I have for diopter correction on the MX?
This is what was designed for your camera and is the what you probably have on your LX...

PENTAX Diopter Correction Lens Adapter M reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

They are actual current product, just not readily available through official channels in North America. I have one on my Super Program and it stays put and works great.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-14-2020 at 07:36 AM.
10-14-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

I just got my first MX today, and it mostly works (except the light seals, which I do plan to replace with black yarn). .
Slightly off topic on the subject of black yarn seals. Have you done this before? I tried this on my MX and nearly buggered up the camera. There is a very small hole in the top body channel where the little counter reset lever resides. I was a bit sloppy with a dab of glue and pushed a glue-laden length of yarn into that hole. I had to take the top off to clean the hardened mess out. So don't do as I did and be careful!

Cheers,
Svend

10-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are some on Marketplace right now: Pentax 30735 M -1 Diopter correction lens - PentaxForums.com
I don't have an experience with it so cannot tell how good it is at work.
10-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #6

Purchased Pentax 1 diopter correction for my MX and SuperProgram. On EBay shopped from Japan - perfect for my needs.
10-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Viking42 Quote
Slightly off topic on the subject of black yarn seals. Have you done this before? I tried this on my MX and nearly buggered up the camera. There is a very small hole in the top body channel where the little counter reset lever resides. I was a bit sloppy with a dab of glue and pushed a glue-laden length of yarn into that hole. I had to take the top off to clean the hardened mess out. So don't do as I did and be careful!

Cheers,
Svend
I have changed the light seals of a KM before, but I used pre-cut light seal kits back then. So I know that there is a feeler that I must clear for the counter to reset.

This time, I generally followed the method from this video:

The trick is to not completely clean out the gummed foam but leave at least some behind (I just cleaned out the parts that were exposed and making a mess), and directly push the yarn into the channels. The friction alone will let the yarn sit firmly inside the channels, and the leftover gum will act as an additional adhesive to keep the yarn in place. The yarn will also prevent the leftover gum from making a mess in the film chanmber.
10-18-2020, 09:06 AM   #8
Forum Member

I have changed the light seals of a KM before, but I used pre-cut light seal kits back then. So I know that there is a feeler that I must clear for the counter to reset.

This time, I generally followed the method from this video: Fast, Quick, and Permanent Camera Light Seal Replacement using Cotton Yarn - YouTube

The trick is to not completely clean out the gummed foam but leave at least some behind (I just cleaned out the parts that were exposed and making a mess), and directly push the yarn into the channels. The friction alone will let the yarn sit firmly inside the channels, and the leftover gum will act as an additional adhesive to keep the yarn in place. The yarn will also prevent the leftover gum from making a mess in the film chanmber.

Good one! Sounds like you did a much better job than I did

I will bookmark that video. Thanks for posting that. Filed away for the next job...