Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Pentax MZ-6 (same as ZX-L) How to eneble spot mettering?

So, i bought mint MZ-6 with original manual but it's very poorly written and i was fail to find the section about spot metering option.

Here is the link to the manual.

Please let me know if you are know how to enable this feature.

10-16-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

While your MZ-6 does allow for "spot" auto-focus, it only supports multi-segment metering with option for spot metering.

Edit: Eric's note below tells how to use this poorly documented feature that is not in the published specs.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2020 at 11:50 AM.
10-16-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I'm remembering right, if you set custom Pentax Function 5 to "SP", then it will use the spot meter when you use the meter lock (AE-L) button on the back.

I think that's the only way to use the spot, so it won't 'normally' meter with the spot meter, only when you AE-lock it...

The other options use the multi-segment meter...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 10-16-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added clarity
10-16-2020, 11:49 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
If I'm remembering right, if you set custom Pentax Function 5 to "SP", then it will use the spot meter when you use the meter lock (AE-L) button on the back.

I think that's the only way to use the spot, so it won't 'normally' meter with the spot meter, only when you AE-lock it...

The other options use the multi-segment meter...

-Eric
Thanks for the clarification and function setting reference. I was going from the published specifications and the manual outside of the Pentax Functions. Does the camera give an indication it is using spot metering?

Steve

10-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the clarification and function setting reference. I was going from the published specifications and the manual outside of the Pentax Functions. Does the camera give an indication it is using spot metering?

Steve
It only indicates that you've locked the exposure with an asterix in the viewfinder, not the basis.
A quick scroll through the Pentax Functions will show, though...

I was fiddling with it a few minutes ago, pointing it at a crystal chandelier, and it did change values when I locked, so it had obviously switched something -- presumably from the averaging metering to spot...

I've always had mine set that way, but I don't know if it's the default or if I just wanted it that way...

-Eric
10-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #6

Original Poster
Got it!
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Eric and Steve.
It's not really that easy to use, so I'll buy a separate exposure meter.
10-17-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VlaDjinn Quote
Got it!
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Eric and Steve.
It's not really that easy to use, so I'll buy a separate exposure meter.
I've found the meter in the ZX-L one of the best I've ever used in a film camera.
It does really well and is hard to fool...

-Eric