Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2020, 12:22 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been lucky that my spotties have decent lightmeters, and they are still chugging within the limits!

Last edited by titrisol; 11-16-2020 at 07:19 AM.
12-22-2020, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
And we have PICTURES!

I just downloaded Dwayne's scans while the negatives are in transit. Because of the pandemic everything is more challenging now. It now takes over 3 weeks from mailing to receive the scans, about a week more to finally get the negatives back.
Color scans from Dwayne's are always exceptional (especially EKTAR), but I have found that for black and white scans, while theirs are adequate, I can usually get slightly better results scanning myself. While waiting for the negatives to arrive so I can rescan, here are some downloaded samples. I tweaked contrast a bit and added the signature but did not touch the image. As you can see keeping the horizon level is a real challenge in older cameras. Did not correct so it could be appreciated.
I used the K01 as meter in some of these, others were just guessed by sunny 16.

Dead tree at the beach. I think this my favorite of the roll.

I see weird little hints o light leaks at the bottom but I'll wait for the negative to see if they are there or were part of the scanning process as not all images have them.

This would have been a timeless picture from anytime in the last 80 years, but the top sign about wearing masks, social distancing and body temp screams 2020 quite loud...

While not good at estimating heights, I think this pine tree may be approaching 100 feet. In 2017, the hurricane blew out all its branches. Most of them landed in my backyard. It stood like a defiant giant toothpick. Three years later and it is like sticking a defiant giant middle finger to the hurricanes

What do you think?

Thanks,
12-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
One more:
It seems this one was underexposed. I'll rescan the negative and see if I can save or improve on it.

Thanks,
12-23-2020, 04:47 AM   #34

Looks great. I wonder if your shutter is dragging a stop? Try underexposing up to a stop.

12-23-2020, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #35

The marks that show on the bottom of the frame mainly in picture 2 don't look like light leaks, more likely uneven development caused by insufficent agitation during processing. The marks normally coincide with the film perforations.
12-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
The marks that show on the bottom of the frame mainly in picture 2 don't look like light leaks, more likely uneven development caused by insufficent agitation during processing. The marks normally coincide with the film perforations.
Thank you! That is a very good point. I was really baffled as it only shows in about 5 frames (#18, #22, #23, #29 and #31). But that makes sense. That means it will show in the negatives once I receive them.

Thanks,
12-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Really a great story, and fun to read. thanks for sharing.

Note that the camera is engraved with the product number 23102 which gives away that it is the "late" model. The early model would / could have been engraved with P.number 231.
Hi. Where is the model number engraved on a Spottie? I can only find a serial number on mine. - Jack

12-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Lower right corner when looking at the camera from the back.
It is engraved in the bottom cover.

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 12-25-2020 at 08:30 PM.
12-24-2020, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, found it, thanks. Mine is also a late model 23102.
12-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Here is a comparison with my own scans. Of course I have the luxury of time and spent over an hour fooling around with the scan settings.

My own scan (horizon leveled in post)

this is the original commercial scan:

Thanks,