Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Maybe your meter is not as far off as you think. In case I missed it, where are you located? My guess is that you might be underexposed at f16 and seems to be what the meter is suggesting. Just curious, if you trusted the meter, what f stop was it telling you was correct for that shutter speed?
In Northern California in the spring, on a very bright, cloudless day my K1000 tells me f11 or wider.

11-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #47
Harbaror

Hi,

I’m located in the south of Japan! On the island of kyushu.

Will that make the sunny 16 rule differ?

Thank you
11-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Hi,

I’m located in the south of Japan! On the island of kyushu.

Will that make the sunny 16 rule differ?

Thank you
This was covered earlier in the thread and the south of Japan should be fine. If you have doubts, there are instructions at the link below to "calibrate" sunny 16 to your favorite meter/camera.

Ultimate Exposure Computer | WHERE ON EARTH DO YOU LIVE

Remind me again...what is the allure of sunny 16?

Steve

(...am totally not getting this...sunny 16 is a tool, not a standard...the correlation to ISO film speed is coincidence...)
11-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #49
Harbaror

Thank you Steve.

I am just trying to understand if I should trust my camera's meter or not. But this time, for the roll I shot, I took note of the aperture and shutter speed for all the 36 shots, to better understand how light will work, and how to somehow get a correct exposure.

Thank you, and yes it was covered earlier int the thread. Sorry to have brought it up again.

PS: Not really sure if I get what you mean by : Remind me again...what is the allure of sunny 16? :-)

11-09-2020, 05:48 PM   #50
Harbaror

So, ive downloaded an app for my old iphone 7(cause I don't believe in buying a new phone every new release). The app, myLightmeter. And today, sunny, but with some clouds, the app has two types of reading, incident and reflective reading. I tried the reflective reading first, set my ISO to 400 (cause I am using a tri-x roll) and set the aperture to f16, it gave me a reading of 1/250. But thats because it is cloudy. I tried it again with the aperture set to f11, the reading this time, 1/500. Then I tried reading it with incident reading, not pointing it directly to the sun, but tilted a bit away from it, just in the open. and the reading was the same again. aperture f11 shutter at 1/500.

So my next challenge will be to shoot en entire tri-x roll day time, what ever the condition might be, use the iphone app as my light reading. and SHOOT.

"Hope for the best and expect the worst"

PS: when i get my second roll developed I will post some photos..
11-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #51
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am just trying to understand if I should trust my camera's meter or not.
If there is a camera repair near to you, they may be willing to check your meter for free. Adjustment would be part of a routine CLA (clean, lube, adjust) which would also include replacement of seals and mirror bumper foam. Chances are that your meter is working just fine, assuming the batteries are good. I suggest using silver oxide (SR44) rather than alkaline (LR44) cells. They last longer and have consistent voltage until depleted.

When you get your film back, a good check for consistent exposure is that the frames on the negatives should have consistent density and not look "thin" or opaque. This is usually pretty obvious.

Have fun and don't worry too much.

Steve
11-09-2020, 07:00 PM   #52
Harbaror

Steve,

Thank you for the message again.
I will send it in when I pick up my photos next week. I asked the camera shop where I develop my films, they have to send those in. So I might need to wait a bit, but that's what photography with film is all about, patience.

PS: Just changed the battery yesterday actually. I would have loved that info then. I bought LR44 battery. I will check for the SR44 instead.
Thank you

11-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Looking forward to your pictures. Curious myself about your results. I assume you don’t have another camera with a functioning meter that you Can use to double check?
11-10-2020, 01:33 AM   #54
Harbaror

I have a digital compact camera which I has manual settings, might bring it along. ;-)
11-14-2020, 08:07 PM   #55
Pentaxian

So, ive downloaded an app for my old iphone 7(cause I don't believe in buying a new phone every new release). The app, myLightmeter. And today, sunny, but with some clouds, the app has two types of reading, incident and reflective reading. .
A lightmeter app that uses the phones camera to take the picture and then present you with the exposure should get you matrix metering. I've tested mine in extreme conditions and does very well. You really don't need anything else.
11-24-2020, 05:40 PM   #56
Harbaror

Hi all,

Here are four photos of the roll i finally received this week.
The setting: Perfectly clear day, not a cloud in the sky, 3.30pm. tri-x 400 film
From the darkest to the brightest, f16 1/500, f11 1/500, f8 1/500, f5.6 1/500 (ASA400)

And forgive me for the bad scan, I only have a very bad all-in-on scanner/printer/ copier, so not the best. The real photos are actually very beautiful.
As far as the sunny 16 goes, I feel that the f16 was too dark, but still has very nice shadows. I feel that maybe f11 was the better exposure.

Now, I will need some of your wonderful knowledge and advice...

Thank you in advance.

PS: I will scan some other photos, which I thought turned out very well.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
TS8000 series  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
TS8000 series  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
TS8000 series  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
TS8000 series  Photo 
11-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #57
Pentaxian

I assume you are using the LUMU app (lightmeter) and the app is spot on!
Reflected is what you want to read as that is what gets to your camera. for incident you need to buy a "dome" but is not needed

Yes the f/11 is very nice, as you are shooting in fall at 3:30 PM that is fine

So, ive downloaded an app for my old iphone 7(cause I don't believe in buying a new phone every new release). The app, myLightmeter. And today, sunny, but with some clouds, the app has two types of reading, incident and reflective reading. I tried the reflective reading first, set my ISO to 400 (cause I am using a tri-x roll) and set the aperture to f16, it gave me a reading of 1/250. But thats because it is cloudy. I tried it again with the aperture set to f11, the reading this time, 1/500. Then I tried reading it with incident reading, not pointing it directly to the sun, but tilted a bit away from it, just in the open. and the reading was the same again. aperture f11 shutter at 1/500.

So my next challenge will be to shoot en entire tri-x roll day time, what ever the condition might be, use the iphone app as my light reading. and SHOOT.

"Hope for the best and expect the worst"

PS: when i get my second roll developed I will post some photos..
11-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #58
Harbaror

QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
I assume you are using the LUMU app (lightmeter) and the app is spot on!
Reflected is what you want to read as that is what gets to your camera. for incident you need to buy a "dome" but is not needed

Yes the f/11 is very nice, as you are shooting in fall at 3:30 PM that is fine
Thank you fo your feedback.
I never thought that the season would play a roll in the sunny 16, but of course it does.
I wasn't using the LUMU but I might have used the Mylightmeter, now I can't really remember. I think I just went straight with the sunny 16 rule and just bracket to see the difference in the exposures.

It worked out very well, and the understanding level in my brain is growing.

Thank you
11-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A simple check for your battery: take it out and put it in the other way around to see if that fixes your problem. Some models need the positive side facing the inside of the camera rather than the outside.
11-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I find very interesting that children learnt all those things in the 1950s and 70s as part of their education.

Estimating distances and light levels is becoming a lost art. Good job learning it!

Thank you fo your feedback.
I never thought that the season would play a roll in the sunny 16, but of course it does.
I wasn't using the LUMU but I might have used the Mylightmeter, now I can't really remember. I think I just went straight with the sunny 16 rule and just bracket to see the difference in the exposures.

It worked out very well, and the understanding level in my brain is growing.

Thank you
PS f/11 should be fine, as per this message I sent you a few weeks ago
QuoteOriginally posted by titrisol Quote
Check the exposure guide from Kodak here: https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/sites/prod/files/files/products/f4017_trix_320400.pdf

There used to be guides inside of the box, where the shutter speed was 1/ISO (1/500 for Trix 1/125 fro PlusX) and then f/16 for very bright subjects (beach, snow, water), f/11 for normal exposure in full sun , f/8 for cloudy day (soft shadows) f/5.6 for cloudy day (no shadows), etc
Something like: