Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
Forum Member
Harbaror's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 67
Sunny 16 rule with Kodak Tri-x 400

Hi,

Still learning about how to shoot with my K1000.

How would the sunny 16 rule work with a Kodak Tri-x 400 film?
Since the K1000 only goes up to 1/1000.

if I am not mistaken about the rule.

Clear & Sunny: f/16 0 1/400 (1/500 K1000)
Slightly overcast: f/11 +1 stop 1/800 (1/1000 1000)
Overcast: f/8 +2 stops 1/1600 (NO)
Heavy overcast: f/5.6 +3 stops 1/3200 (NO)
Open shade/Sunset: f/4 +4 stops 1/6400 (NO)

Will I not be able to go further than f/11 with ISO400?

10-18-2020, 10:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,073
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Hi,

Will I not be able to go further than f/11 with ISO400?
You could use a neutral density filter for that.

The settings you list are essentially variations producing the same exposure. In your chart, the shutter should stay the same at 1/500 with the aperture changing.
10-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
Forum Member
Harbaror's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 67
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You could use a neutral density filter for that.

The settings you list are essentially variations producing the same exposure. In your chart, for those conditions, the shutter would stay the same at 1/500,
Thank you for your comment.
Please forgive me, I am not very sure if I did understood it.
Cause if I were to use f/16 on a sunny day, I would use 1/500 for my shutter speed with the tri-x 400, right.

but if I used f/8 and still had my shutter speed at 1/500, wouldn't I get really dark photos?

regards
10-18-2020, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Hi,

Still learning about how to shoot with my K1000.

How would the sunny 16 rule work with a Kodak Tri-x 400 film?
Since the K1000 only goes up to 1/1000.

if I am not mistaken about the rule.

Clear & Sunny: f/16 0 1/400 (1/500 K1000)
Slightly overcast: f/11 +1 stop 1/800 (1/1000 1000)
Overcast: f/8 +2 stops 1/1600 (NO)
Heavy overcast: f/5.6 +3 stops 1/3200 (NO)
Open shade/Sunset: f/4 +4 stops 1/6400 (NO)

Will I not be able to go further than f/11 with ISO400?
Only change one of the parameters (aperture or shutter speed.)

For overcast you use f8 and 1/400 (1/500). Or f16 and 1/125

As Special K points out , your table as written would not be changing the exposure for the different lighting conditions.

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 06:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
but if I used f/8 and still had my shutter speed at 1/500, wouldn't I get really dark photos?
f8 is 2 stops brighter than f16. So at f8 and 1/500 you would be letting in four times the light (each stop is a halving or doubling of light). But the chart you are referencing suggests overcast scenes require 2 stops more light than sunny scenes. So you would get correct exposure.


Last edited by pschlute; 10-18-2020 at 10:46 PM.
10-18-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
Forum Member
Harbaror's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 67
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Only change one of the parameters (aperture or shutter speed.)

For overcast you use f8 and 1/400 (1/500). Or f16 and 1/125

As Special K points out , your table as written would not be changing the exposure for the different lighting conditions.

---------- Post added 10-19-20 at 06:45 AM ----------



f8 is 2 stops brighter than f16. So at f8 and 1/500 you would be letting in four times the light (each stop is a halving or doubling of light). But the chart you are referencing suggests overcast scenes require 2 stops more light than sunny scenes. So you would get correct exposure.
Thank you greatly for the comment.
But somehow it doesn't make sense to me here. Cause based from the Sunny 16 rule, every time I go stop down from f/16 to f/11 I will need to adjust my shutter speed as well. So for ISO400, f/16 is a shutter speed is at 1/400 (1/500), so f/11 would be double, so shutter speed at 1/800 (1/1000), but at f/8 1/1200 (but I cant go higher with the K1000).

Am I missing something here??
10-18-2020, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
How would the sunny 16 rule work with a Kodak Tri-x 400 film?
To recap, the sunny16 rule is not intending that you stick with the same shutter speed all the time. It is to give you a base exposure for a sunny scene.

So with ISO 400 you know 1/500 and f16 is correct. .... for the same sunny scene 1/1000 and f11 would giive you the same correct exposure. If you want to use f8 for the same sunny scene you would need to use 1/2000. If your camera does not have that fast a shutter speed you need to use a 1 stop ND filter on the lens to reduce the light.
10-18-2020, 11:00 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member
Harbaror's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 67
Original Poster
WONDERFUL.
Now I get it. Thank you so much for clearing this out.
The only thing that would change would be the DOF and the speed (blur or not blur) but the light itself would be the same!?

I think I get it now...
10-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
But somehow it doesn't make sense to me here. Cause based from the Sunny 16 rule, every time I go stop down from f/16 to f/11 I will need to adjust my shutter speed as well.
You only adjust your aperture and shutter speed (each by the same number of stops) if the light is the same ....ie sunny

QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
every time I go stop down from f/16 to f/11
Changing from f16 to f11 is called "opening up"......... Stopping down" would be if you went from f11 to f16.

10-18-2020, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member
Harbaror's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 67
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You only adjust your aperture and shutter speed if the light is the same ....ie sunny



Changing from f16 to f11 is called "opening up"......... Stopping down" would be if you went from f11 to f16.
Thank you again for that.

still learning and this is helping a lot.
10-18-2020, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,073
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote

Am I missing something here??
Sunny 16 is a reference setting for a particular exposure - mid day sun. You don't have to use f16. If you want to use a different aperture - for mid day sun - you change the shutter speed the same number of stops to provide the same exposure value.

For those lighting conditions not as bright as mid day sun, you open the aperture (smaller number) or have a longer shutter speed.
10-18-2020, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
Thank you again for that.

still learning and this is helping a lot.
You are very welcome.

We all were in your position at some point. Please ask away. There are plenty on this site who will give helpful answers
10-18-2020, 11:13 PM   #12
Forum Member
Harbaror's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 67
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Sunny 16 is a reference setting for a particular exposure - mid day sun. You don't have to use f16. If you want to use a different aperture - for mid day sun - you change the shutter speed the same number of stops to provide the same exposure value.

For those lighting conditions not as bright as mid day sun, you open the aperture (smaller number) or have a longer shutter speed.
thank you, yes that is the part that wasn't clear to me. But got it now.
Thank you so much..

---------- Post added 10-18-20 at 11:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are very welcome.

We all were in your position at some point. Please ask away. There are plenty on this site who will give helpful answers
And I am very grateful for al the help given to me.

Thank you so much
10-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
pschlute's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surrey, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Harbaror Quote
thank you, yes that is the part that wasn't clear to me. But got it now.
If you have access to a digital camera (or even a light-meter app for your mobile phone) have a practice in the garden or out in the street, so you get an understanding of how the different settings will look. I think that lattitude can make a difference to the sunny16 rule depending where you are in the world. I often find sticking strictly to the rule can produce slightly under-exposed ( darker) images.
10-18-2020, 11:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,073
QuoteQuote:
If you have access to a digital camera (or even a light-meter app for your mobile phone) ...
Or this simulator...
Play | Canon Explains Exposure

Camerasim is my favorite because the image it uses is better to show movement. Alas it is no longer free...
CameraSim Web App - CameraSim
10-19-2020, 12:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 317
In my brief experience with Sunny 16 testing out my Spotmatic with a broken meter, I'd agree with pschlute that Sunny 16 would have underexposed. In northern California on a sunny cloudless, couldn't be brighter day, my other cameras were telling me f11 or wider. Maybe closer to the equator, but I don't think where I live f16 would expose correctly.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, calibration, camera, comments, conditions, day, equivalent, exposure, f/11, f16, f8, gear, iso, k1000, kodak, kodak tri-x, light, meter, overcast, rule, rule with kodak, scenes, shots, shutter, sun, systems, tri-x, ttl
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Streets MZ-5 with 'SUNNY 16 400 ASA film' pentaxpete Post Your Photos! 2 08-02-2020 11:59 AM
Sunny 16 rule and my Pentax K1000..... PjayPages Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 30 04-30-2019 08:52 PM
Kodak Tri-X 400 or T-Max 400? Spodeworld Pentax Film SLR Discussion 15 09-28-2017 03:20 PM
Black & White Old Kodak Tri X Portrait crabby Post Your Photos! 2 07-30-2014 05:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top