Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ME Super - Mirror Locked up?

Hey all - I have an ME Super from many years ago. I just put in batteries and the LEDs are working, but the mirror seems to be locked up.

No film in it, but I also can't advance the film. I have tried all modes, M, 125x, B, Auto but no movement.

I can flip the mirror down manually via a "switch" in the lens opening.

Any ideas on how to "reboot" my 80's camera???

10-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When you turn the dial to 125x, it should free up.
If it doesn't, there's a bigger problem...

The shutter won't fire if it's not cocked, and the film lever won't cock the shutter if it thinks the film is wound, so there are several things that can cause this to happen...

I've seen some Youtube videos around that purport to show how to fix a ME Super shutter, and a couple of the solutions are pretty simple (take off bottom, un-jam things that are jammed together, reassemble, success... though not for mine...)

It's possible it's in need of serious work, so you may need to think about its value to you...

-Eric
10-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks @TwoUptons. I will try your suggestions. Itís a backup to my LX so not overly committed to it. May try the bottom off - bit that will be the extent of it. More to come...