10-23-2020, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

*WEEKLY UPDATE*

OK, so I have spent more time than I should on this
At this point 99.99966% (6 sigma ) of the black paint has been removed from the top cover. However, the surface has tons of scratches. I experimented with a few things trying to polish them out with no success. I'm open to suggestions on how to polish them without causing brassing. The scratches are very hard to photograph so it actually looks a hint better in the pics.

The interior of the top cover cleaned out nicely. It had some minor corrosion spots, some black paint residue and some dust and dirt.

Started cleaning the left side dials. This ASA dial is actually for the electronic flash sensor or "eye" to control the Strobonar Flash. There is evidence everywhere that this camera was opened before. Note the scratches in the spanner nut.

The hot shoe was disassembled (9 parts). Parts are in quite rough shape.

The top cover screws are taking a quick swim in white vinegar so they will be more tasty

Just having fun with this.....

Thanks,

10-23-2020, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Ismael, I have no idea if it would work for the scratches on the cover but I have had good results getting these to come up nice using a product called ‘Barkeepers Friend’ its a mild abrasive and acidic powder. Its available online. It brings metal up nicely and its not rough on thingg though it can etch plastics, it is quite acidic so anything you use it on needs thorough rinsing afterwards. Might work for you.
10-25-2020, 08:45 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Not much work over the weekend as home chores kept me busy (building my own computer desk among other things). But I was able to work a bit on the bottom cover.

Severely scratched bottom plate. Hard to photograph but far worst than what this pic suggests. More black paint residue plus some gunk

The inside has a lot of black paint overspray and several spots of corrosion and rust

While not the worst I've seen, there is rust in the battery compartment

After about an hour of aggressive cleaning I was pleasantly surprised how nice the interior came about

Did my best effort on the battery compartment

Some minor rust spots still visible but far better than before

Following Astro-Baby's recommendation, I was able to find BKF. I tried on the bottom cover. Unfortunately it did not improved the scratches even after a second more vigorous test. But I did not see any signs of brassing, so I'm sure it will come handy when cleaning metal parts.

And that is where we are now.

Thanks!
10-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I ran into the weeds with my SP500. Sorry the Barkeepers friend stuff didnt help. Perhaps the scratches are super bad. I have had success with it with metal parts but to be fair never had to deal with what you are dealing with there.

10-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BKF is awesome to clean stainless and other metal that has small scratches
The scratches in that camera are deep, you might as well cover them with some matte-spray varnish
10-27-2020, 08:49 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

I'm really happy with how the hot shoe turned out. It looks GREAT! BUT, it doesn't work
I think the issue is elsewhere, not here. The hot shoe was reassembled carefully and everything looks almost new. I took it apart again and reassembled it making sure it is making contact underneath. But the X sync port is not working either. That's why I think the issue is elsewhere. The FP port does work.

Then turned my attention to the self timer:

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

And it does work properly. Love the sound of these timers

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 11-04-2020 at 06:53 PM.
10-29-2020, 07:59 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

OK, bear with me for a minute: After throwing everything short of Nuclear Fission (I did try nuclear fusion) into the green paint, it still stood defiant. And I mean everything from lacquer thinner to acid to peroxide to acetone, ammonia and every chemical known to my house.
IPA was the only thing that had a little effect. But after more than an hour I was able to do an area much smaller than a dime.
So I was defeated.
Then I started looking for replacement leatherette. After all, there is a whole industry on that. Right? Well, with the pandemic it seems they are either gone or shutdown. I tried to contact every supplier of camera leatherette I could find but did not get any response back. One web site said "Sorry, due to the pandemic we are not shipping out of Japan". Even on eBay, the closest I got was generic material to cut to size. I'm looking into that for another color but that's another story. But that is also overseas and it warned shipping can take forever.
Then I asked my wife if she had any black or blue purse, leather or vinyl, she was throwing away.
You had to see her face! It was worth a million!
That was another dead end (but funny).
It seems I'm defeated.... twice now!
So I went back to the workbench and had a serious conversation with this guy: There is nothing to loose. Sorry but full scale aggression it is.
I started pouring 91% IPA and went to town with a brass wire brush. Guess what! It started to slowly work! It took hours over a few days to get to this stage. I lost count of how many times I asked myself "Why?"
Now we are at a stage where I will do a few more passes with soaked paper towels and will then try black shoe polish. I think the original can be saved after all!
And with so much IP alcohol, I guarantee it is COVID free

Thanks,

10-29-2020, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I would have sprayed it with a can of automotive semi black vinyl paint. As well prepped as your leatherette is, it would bond really well and has a flex agent in the paint so it will not flake. S.E.M is the brand name.
10-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Hugo studios are delivering as far as I know, quite recently I had some Minolta X500 skins from them.
10-30-2020, 04:29 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
I think I would have sprayed it with a can of automotive semi black vinyl paint. As well prepped as your leatherette is, it would bond really well and has a flex agent in the paint so it will not flake. S.E.M is the brand name.
Good idea! Thanks! I'll check on that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Hugo studios are delivering as far as I know, quite recently I had some Minolta X500 skins from them.
Thank you! I just ordered samples from them!
10-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't heard of HugoStudios
The Angus, and Vintage Leather look great on the screen

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
snip--snip---
Thank you! I just ordered samples from them!
10-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Good idea! Thanks!
You should be able to find it at your local automotive parts supply store.
10-30-2020, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

To boldly go where I've never been before.
Common sense and wisdom would indicate that since it is working fine except for the hot shoe, LEAVE IT ALONE!
But since I'm not normal, I'm trying to figure out if I can make the hot shoe to work. It is highly probable I can kill it altogether in the process!

After a few hours, I'm at a loss here: All mechanical and electrical connections seem ok. Electrical continuity, mechanical contacts are ok etc.

The only thing I can think of is that since the the SPIIa has an extra circuit board for the electronic eye, the issue may be there.

But I don't have any electrical schematics and most likely no spare parts so I think this is the end of that road for now.
Trying to force myself to give up and put it back together before it is too late and I break something else.

Thanks,
10-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Without wishing to encourage you into more grief and maybe busting something ( and remember I am the person who kept messing about with a Spotty until the prism delaminated ) does the PC connector work ? If it does then it may lead to whats up with the hot shoe.

Ps cant speak for Hugo leatherette. My XD7 used Asahi leather which was absolutely cut to perfection but I reskinned an X500 using Hugo and the skins needed a fair bit of modding to get them to work.
10-30-2020, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
IT'S WORKING!!!!

So, before I lie and come up with a convoluted story on how I fixed it, all I did was take it apart, check for any broken wires or solder joints (which were all ok) and cleaned everything in sight. Couldn't get it to work, so I put it back together. After assembly I thought "It would be funny if it works now". I tested it and to my surprise, it worked!
I'm now thinking "It would be funny if I hit the Powerball"

Put this crappy quick video together to show it. No audio as it was too noisy and you can barely see the light of the flash due to sync but you get the idea.

Thanks,