Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax ME Super + Lenses: Street Value?

Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up this bit of gear locally. A Pentax ME Super camera, looks spotless in the pictures, and is apparently in full working condition (owner thought the wind mechanism was choked, but seems to be otherwise when he pulled it out of the closet). Also listed these lenses:

Pictured lenses: Pentax 1:2 50mm (on camera)
Pentax 1:2.8 28mm
Tokina 28-70mm 1:35-4.5
Tokina 80-200 mm 1:4
Vivitar 2 x tele converter 2x-22
Blacks CB64 flash unit

And there's a flash unit and teleconverter in there too. Some associated lenses. And he even has the manual for the camera. It's original owner material here.

So what would be fair to offer him? I don't want to be rude, but I thought that $125CDN was a good starting point, bargaining wise. Of course, I haven't done any research on these lenses yet either, so I'm not sure. I know the 50mm 1.2 is a nice lens. I'd really like to have the ME as a film partner to my Spot, and as an added bonus, all these lenses are bayonet mount and hence fit on my K200D.

Whatcha think?

11-10-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Inactive Account

First rule of the Fast Fifty Club: never mistake the f1:2 for the f1:1.2.

If he's a fellow Pentaxian, start at $125. If he hasn't a clue, $80.
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
If he's a fellow Pentaxian, start at $125. If he hasn't a clue, $80.
I'll bet he hasn't used any of it in years, and would be thrilled if you offered him a hundred bucks for the lot.

Chris
11-11-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you think that is a fair price and so does he/she then you have a business, otherwise the seller may ask you to bump your offer.

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Hey guys. I'm looking at picking up this bit of gear locally. A Pentax ME Super camera, looks spotless in the pictures, and is apparently in full working condition (owner thought the wind mechanism was choked, but seems to be otherwise when he pulled it out of the closet). Also listed these lenses:

Pictured lenses: Pentax 1:2 50mm (on camera)
Pentax 1:2.8 28mm
Tokina 28-70mm 1:35-4.5
Tokina 80-200 mm 1:4
Vivitar 2 x tele converter 2x-22
Blacks CB64 flash unit

And there's a flash unit and teleconverter in there too. Some associated lenses. And he even has the manual for the camera. It's original owner material here.

So what would be fair to offer him? I don't want to be rude, but I thought that $125CDN was a good starting point, bargaining wise. Of course, I haven't done any research on these lenses yet either, so I'm not sure. I know the 50mm 1.2 is a nice lens. I'd really like to have the ME as a film partner to my Spot, and as an added bonus, all these lenses are bayonet mount and hence fit on my K200D.

Whatcha think?

11-12-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone. The seller wanted $200, and I can't afford it right now, nor will he break up his kit. So I'll have to wait.
11-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

$200 is too much. Wait him out, or find something else.

Chris
11-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
Thanks for the help everyone. The seller wanted $200, and I can't afford it right now, nor will he break up his kit. So I'll have to wait.
I agree with Chris...$200 is too much. The body can be had for about $110 fully CLA'd with a 90 day warranty here in the Portland area. The 50/2 would add about $10-$15 to the price if sold together. The Tokina zooms would likely be worth about $15-$25 each in average condition and about $35 each if excellent. Add $5 to those prices for the Pentax 28/2.8 (assuming it is the M version). Subtract about $5 from each lens if sold in a lot with other stuff. Your offer of $125 is quite fair for all items sold as is as a lot assuming everything is in good shape.

For comparison, I recently bought a working Ricoh XR7 with Tamron 28-70/3.5-4.5 and Tokina 80-200/4 on the Bay for $20. Both the camera and the lenses are of the same vintage as the kit you are looking at and the Ricoh is roughly comparable to the ME Super. The Tamron was in OK condition and the Tokina less than OK (loose barrel). I traded the Tamron to the repair shop for $10 credit on a CLA for the Ricoh and they took in the Tokina as well out of pity.

One other thing to consider is the probable need to have the ME Super worked over. At the very least it will require new mirror bumper and light seals. You can expect to pay about $50 minimum for that service and upwards towards $100 if the meter or shutter needs adjustment/repair.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-12-2008 at 03:56 PM.