Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2020, 02:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
I have done double exposures with Exakta cameras. You can cock the shutter by turning the shutter speed knob. Also I've got a cheap Seagull TLR 4B which allows you to cock the shutter without winding... unfortunately I probably made more unintentional double exposures with it than intentional. I think the Pentax PZ-1 also does multiple exposures but I've never tried it on that camera.
There is a feeling I know. I have quite a few accidental doubles from my Lubitel 2 and my pinhole camera. Occasionally they look cool, usually they are just an over-exposed mess.

11-12-2020, 09:44 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Argus C3 will always multiple expose a frame if you forget to manually advance it after each shot . . .
11-13-2020, 04:18 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
My Argus C3 will always multiple expose a frame if you forget to manually advance it after each shot . . .
I've always fancied a C3 but they aren't common this side of the pond, and with shipping + tax + handling fee they are a bit of a gamble to buy from the US in the hope that it works. If I am ever allowed to travel to the US again, I'll have to see if I can pick one up.
11-13-2020, 05:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian

My buddy gave me th C3 that his mom bought new back when. And it came with a lifetime warranty too . . .

11-14-2020, 10:30 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I've always fancied a C3 but they aren't common this side of the pond, and with shipping + tax + handling fee they are a bit of a gamble to buy from the US in the hope that it works. If I am ever allowed to travel to the US again, I'll have to see if I can pick one up.
Given the range of quality I've seen, I definitely wouldn't risk ordering one without having a chance to physically check it out. The focusing in particular seems to like to seize up, even on specimens that otherwise look perfect.

---------- Post added 2020-11-14 at 12:31 ----------

My buddy gave me th C3 that his mom bought new back when. And it came with a lifetime warranty too . . .
Ahhhh. I love the two-tone look of the Match-Matic models compared to the regular bricks, but man do I hate that shutter dial with meter readings instead of speeds.
11-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #36

Original Poster
I've seen one of these for sale in my region, full with meter and other accessories, but a lot of fungus over lens and viewfinder, I doubt it work as well.
Quality wasn't that good on these cameras?
11-14-2020, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
I've seen one of these for sale in my region, full with meter and other accessories, but a lot of fungus over lens and viewfinder, I doubt it work as well.
Quality wasn't that good on these cameras?
I reckon they were cheap cameras and many decades later - even with a lifetime warranty, something has to give . . .

But with a lot of luck, there is always a chance to find one that works. Except my buddy didn't have the meter that attaches on the top. So I guess mine is a Match-Maticless version . . .

11-15-2020, 01:09 AM   #38
Pentaxian

The Pentax *ist film camera will do double exposures, it's even a built-in documented feature, see p.61 in the manual

11-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Before you press the release button, do you first take up the film slack with the rewind lever and hold it in place before pressing the rewind button?
I have taken a few double exposures with my Spotmatic. As LesDMess suggests, taking up the slack by turning the rewind crank helps. On the Spotmatic, you take a double exposure by pressing the rewind button on the bottom of the camera to disengage the film advance mechanism, before cocking the shutter. The film advance has a tendency to move the film a little bit, even with the rewind button pushed.

I must admit, though, that in the few (deliberate) double exposures I have taken, I was never too concerned about the film being registered at exactly the same position between shots.

I was always more disappointed by the fact that I had to sacrifice the next frame, because it typically takes the film advance about half a frame to re-engage, so the next frame is only advanced half a frame. You must then advance another full frame to make sure that you don't inadvertently get a triple exposure.

---------- Post added 11-15-2020 at 07:59 PM ----------

I reckon they were cheap cameras and many decades later - even with a lifetime warranty, something has to give . . .

But with a lot of luck, there is always a chance to find one that works. Except my buddy didn't have the meter that attaches on the top. So I guess mine is a Match-Maticless version . . .
Yes, that is definitely a C-3 Matchmatic.

The selenium meter would be long-dead by now, anyway.
11-15-2020, 08:34 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
IYes, that is definitely a C-3 Matchmatic.

The selenium meter would be long-dead by now, anyway.
I have another "Matic" - a Baldamatic 1, of the same era with an accurate selenium meter still. I got it with a leather case so maybe it was kept in the dark for most of the time?

11-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #41

Original Poster
I have another "Matic" - a Baldamatic 1, of the same era with an accurate selenium meter still. I got it with a leather case so maybe it was kept in the dark for most of the time?
I've seen some without meter, Baldessa is the model and they are mostly working.
Is this a good camera?
11-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
I've seen some without meter, Baldessa is the model and they are mostly working.
Is this a good camera?
I find all these cameras to be good because I learn the history about them!
11-16-2020, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to know. I should make sure mine is in working order and play around with double exposure.
Attached Images

11-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #44

Rollei QZ 35

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 10:40 PM ----------

Nikon F3, Nikon F4, F5, F6.
Minolta XK/XM/X1
11-18-2020, 01:25 AM   #45

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
Rollei QZ 35

---------- Post added 11-17-20 at 10:40 PM ----------

Nikon F3, Nikon F4, F5, F6.
Minolta XK/XM/X1
Interesting, I thought it was just a point and shoot camera.