Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LX has fantastic registration and the ability to go back several frames and then keep registration, highly recommended

11-09-2020, 05:02 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Minolta MD/7/11 and XE-7 have a multi-exposure function.
I'm not sure if the MD-5 has the function. The above bodies the film does not move, no need to tension and hold the rewind knob so frame registration is maintained. The tension and hold technique always has some slippage in my experience. You need to keep track of the additional frames yourself however.
11-09-2020, 05:37 AM   #18

K1000...

Kirk B.
11-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did them on my Nikkormat but the F2 was more advanced and accurate and if you needed to shoot multiple shots and then return to a previous shot... So workflow like:

Shots 1-6 normal, then go back to 3 after moving to new location, shoot multiple exposure in shots 3,4, & 5. Skip over six, shot 7-12 normally, back up to 11 and add multiple exposure.

Obviously this isn't commonly required. And it takes planning and jotting down notes.

11-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Minolta Maxuum 7 and 9.
11-09-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Beginner question about double exposures....do you expose both images normally or do you underexpose each a bit? Seems like 1 normally exposed image on top of another would lead to a very overexposed image.
11-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The first 35mm camera I ever used could do that. A hand-me down from my grandfather - the Kodak Signet 35 rangefinder. It had a little lever on the back for double-exposures. You pushed the lever when you cocked the shutter. Since it didn't involve the winder at all, the film stayed in perfect registration. I had a lot of fun with that camera in high school before I progressed to the Pentax K1000. It took great pictures. In fact I won my first high school camera club photo contest with a black and white print taken with that camera.

---------- Post added 11-09-20 at 03:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Beginner question about double exposures....do you expose both images normally or do you underexpose each a bit? Seems like 1 normally exposed image on top of another would lead to a very overexposed image.
You need to underexpose both shots by 1/2 to 1 stop.

11-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

The Nikon FE-FM series does it very well

Pentax LX, and MZ6/7/L from what I know
11-09-2020, 06:39 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It depends on how many total exposures you use. If only two then as stated by another response 1/2 to 1 stop depending on the subject. The two exposures don't have to be equal if you want a different effect.
11-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ricoh XR-1, XR-1s,XR-2, XR-2s, and XR7...all Pentax K-mount.

Addendum: The Ricoh cameras that have the double exposure feature are easily told by looking for the button on the back of the top cover just below the wind lever.

Steve
I tried on ME and MX, could never get the frames line up correctly, I heard changing bag is needed.
Ricoh KR-5 Super II and 1st generation of Chinon SLR I can get cheaply, does those do multiple exposure well as well?
11-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
I tried on ME and MX, could never get the frames line up correctly, I heard changing bag is needed.
Ricoh KR-5 Super II and 1st generation of Chinon SLR I can get cheaply, does those do multiple exposure well as well?
Many cameras will allow cocking the shutter without advancing the film by simply pressing the release button on the bottom of the camera. Models that support multiple exposure as a feature (many models discussed above) are not uncommon and will address that feature in the user manual. You may find the page below helpful as a means to research whether a camera you are interested in provides that function as a supported feature.

Camera Manual Library

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-09-2020 at 09:11 PM.
11-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
LX has fantastic registration and the ability to go back several frames and then keep registration, highly recommended
Totally agree - best I'd seen back in the day
11-10-2020, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It depends on how many total exposures you use. If only two then as stated by another response 1/2 to 1 stop depending on the subject. The two exposures don't have to be equal if you want a different effect.
Thanks

---------- Post added 11-10-20 at 05:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Angelic Layer Quote
I have a KR-5 Super II and almost certain it doesn’t have a special feature to do double exposure except as mentioned above, hold the little button on the bottom of the camera while you wind the film advance

---------- Post added 11-10-20 at 06:00 AM ----------

From Butkus.org

“ Simple, dependable construction
The straightforward, mechanically oriented operation of the KR SUPER II also makes it ideal for certain types of special photography. Once feature useful for astro- and microphotography is the unique action of the mechanical self-times - the mirror and lens lock up about 10 seconds before the shutter opens, so any vibration has a chance to dampen out completely. Multiple exposures are also possible, by disengaging the sprocket drive with the rewind button before using the manual advance lever. And, of course, full manual control of focus, aperture, shutter and ISO settings gives you unlimited freedom to experiment.”
11-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #29
Pentaxian

One classic technique is to photograph something against the sky, setting the exposure as for the sky rendering the main feature as a silhouette, more or less. Then photograph something else without the bright contrast at the metered reading. This will leave you with the second thing nicely exposed within the original silhouette surrounded by a lighter "over exposed" region. Part of the fun with double exposures is the serendipity of them.
11-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have done double exposures with Exakta cameras. You can cock the shutter by turning the shutter speed knob. Also I've got a cheap Seagull TLR 4B which allows you to cock the shutter without winding... unfortunately I probably made more unintentional double exposures with it than intentional. I think the Pentax PZ-1 also does multiple exposures but I've never tried it on that camera.