Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax MX Slow Speed escapement location

Does anyone know if the MX slow speed escapement mechanism is accessable once the bottom is off, or is it under the mirror box. I have a service manual but I can't tell from the exploded view. I also have a parts body where I can look, but before I delve into it I thought I'd just ask here. I'm considering a purchase of an MX with sticky slow speeds. I can deal with taking the bottom off but I don't want to get into removing the mirror box.

11-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don’t have a diagram for you, but here is a post from PF with a pic with arrows pointing to the escapement screw.
MX Mirror Stuck - PentaxForums.com
11-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tonyzoc Quote
Does anyone know if the MX slow speed escapement mechanism is accessable once the bottom is off, or is it under the mirror box. I have a service manual but I can't tell from the exploded view. I also have a parts body where I can look, but before I delve into it I thought I'd just ask here. I'm considering a purchase of an MX with sticky slow speeds. I can deal with taking the bottom off but I don't want to get into removing the mirror box.
It uses a cam, not an escapement. You can find it on the parts list (O-E402 ?) and from there locate it on the exploded view. It should in the area under the shutter dial. toward the bottom of the camera. The mechanism is essentially similar to that on the K-series and Spotmatic models with full-mechanical shutters.

Steve

(...I used to think it was an escapement too...)
11-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It uses a cam, not an escapement. You can find it on the parts list (O-E402 ?) and from there locate it on the exploded view. It should in the area under the shutter dial. toward the bottom of the camera. The mechanism is essentially similar to that on the K-series and Spotmatic models with full-mechanical shutters.

Steve

(...I used to think it was an escapement too...)
So it's not really accessable without removing the mirror box. I'd be afraid to try to flush it with some solvent without hitting the curtains. Maybe a drop of solvent on that lever exposed on the bottom would run down into the mechanism and loosen it up?

09-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

Bit of an older thread, but did you figure this out @tonyzoc?