QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That changed with the P30n/P3n.
Good to know, thanks

11-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #17
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Thanks, but as I own enough M42 lenses I currently use the Praktica MTL5B when shooting film since a working battery is no necessity to use this camera too.
If you have any of the SMC Takumars (with the additional tab) have you thought about an ES or ES II?
11-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
If you have any of the SMC Takumars (with the additional tab) have you thought about an ES or ES II?
Both my M42 cameras (Praktica MTL5B & Zenit E) actually came as addition to the lenses I was interested in. To my surprise both where in great shape and in working order so I am quite satisfied with my collection at the moment.
But when LBA or CBA strike again I will certainly look into those two
11-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

You don't need the Ricoh pin on the Cosina-made KR5 Super II (mount is bog standard Pentax-K) and while it does have a full range of mechanical speeds from 1s to 1/2000s, it does not have Av exposure automation. The batteries power the meter and LED display and nothing else.

Steve
Ah you are right. I thought I saw it had a "P" on the dial but now I see that it doesn't.

So, since the higher mechanical shutter speeds of the LX don't really count as full range, I guess there's nothing in K-mount with Av and a full range of mechanical shutter speeds.

To the OP: Might as well just get a P30T or P30n, or something similar... and enjoy while it lasts. Carry some spare LR44s

11-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is only one camera that has aperture priority AE and have all shutter speeds available when batteries die and that's the Nikon FM3A.

The Pentax LX and Canon New F-1 are aperture AE capable but only have sync speed and higher available when batteries die. They both also have B (bulb) mode available so you could estimate the slower speeds if pressed.
That is very informative, thank you.
11-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Hi everyone,

As much as I enjoy using the MX with its huge viewfinder, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on other film bodies as I'm a bit tired of shooting all manual all the time. The features I'm looking for are lightweight, small size, and Av metering modes. Normally that would mean getting an ME or ME-Super, but I really don't like the tiny adjustment button and the heavy shutter vibration. It's gonna be a beater camera that's going to be in my bag virtually all the time, so I don't plan on using an LX for this role.

Would really appreciate user feedback suggestions, especially from people that have used the camera's they are recommending. Thanks so much!
I don't think the K2 has been mentioned? All the ergonomics and functionality of the KX (mirror lock up, depth of field preview, shutter speed dial etc.) but with the addition of Av.

Downsides are that it's bigger than the M series and has limited capability without batteries.
11-19-2020, 04:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I'll add to recommending the P30T. ( I also have the MX as well as others). It is a really nice Pentax body that shoots in P, A and M modes, has a regular speed dial and the best bit for me is that it has an exposure lock button!

Heads up - it is DX auto film speed setting only.

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 05:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I don't think the K2 has been mentioned? All the ergonomics and functionality of the KX (mirror lock up, depth of field preview, shutter speed dial etc.) but with the addition of Av.

Downsides are that it's bigger than the M series and has limited capability without batteries.
I love my K2, I think it is one of the best Pentax bodies. But the OP asked for small/light weight and it is one of the bigger bodies. But really in the scheme of things, it's not THAT munch bigger..

It does have the best focusing screen out of all my Pentaxes though.

11-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Hi everyone,

As much as I enjoy using the MX with its huge viewfinder, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on other film bodies as I'm a bit tired of shooting all manual all the time. The features I'm looking for are lightweight, small size, and Av metering modes. Normally that would mean getting an ME or ME-Super, but I really don't like the tiny adjustment button and the heavy shutter vibration. It's gonna be a beater camera that's going to be in my bag virtually all the time, so I don't plan on using an LX for this role.

Would really appreciate user feedback suggestions, especially from people that have used the camera's they are recommending. Thanks so much!
There was a time where I was looking for exactly what you're describing and went through many of the cameras suggested. I finally settled on the Program A/Program Plus. Sure, it has the shutter speed buttons like the ME Super. But honestly, went I want to grab this camera, I'm usually in program or AV mode, seldom in manual mode. If I do want to override the meter, then I'm using the EV comp dial instead of switching to manual mode.
11-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I really like the PZ1P I got recently as it has dual wheels and Hyper Program and Hyper Manual making switching back and forth from my DSLRs easier.
11-19-2020, 06:26 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I'll add to recommending the P30T. ( I also have the MX as well as others). It is a really nice Pentax body that shoots in P, A and M modes, has a regular speed dial and the best bit for me is that it has an exposure lock button!

Heads up - it is DX auto film speed setting only.

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 05:35 PM ----------

I love my K2, I think it is one of the best Pentax bodies. But the OP asked for small/light weight and it is one of the bigger bodies. But really in the scheme of things, it's not THAT munch bigger..

It does have the best focusing screen out of all my Pentaxes though.
Certainly big compared to the M series, but not at all big by the standards of SLR's of that era
11-19-2020, 08:43 PM   #26

I used the P30t for many years and loved it. Good light meter and I liked the split prism focusing screen. The only problem I ran into was using it to film ski races In the freezing cold. If the battery dies due to the cold, you can’t take any pictures. (Granted, it probably took at least 4 hours before the battery died at -10 to -20F.)

I ended up buying a K1000 for really cold weather... the light meter might die but the shutter was fully mechanical. Otherwise I used the P30t. Not too big or heavy.
11-19-2020, 09:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I used the P30t for many years and loved it. Good light meter and I liked the split prism focusing screen. The only problem I ran into was using it to film ski races In the freezing cold. If the battery dies due to the cold, you can’t take any pictures. (Granted, it probably took at least 4 hours before the battery died at -10 to -20F.)
Well thanks to a generous fellow forum member Baard-Einar I have the LX battery cord which allows me to keep the LX's battery on my person when outside in the cold!

11-19-2020, 09:35 PM   #28
Pentaxian

One of my favourite film cameras is the Olympus AF-1 Twin. You can swap between 35mm and 70mm lenses by use of a mirror. They're weather resistant and they're also cheap.
It won't make me give up my MX or ME Super but it's a great camera for travel and family event snaps.
https://www.35mmc.com/15/06/2016/olympus-af-1-twin-review/
BTW in the time I've been using the Olympus I've been through two P30s. They're not built to last. I won't buy another.

Last edited by officiousbystander; 11-19-2020 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Additional comment
11-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Certainly big compared to the M series, but not at all big by the standards of SLR's of that era
I gotta say, the K-series were technically not compact, but were petite by pre-OM1 standards and the same basic scale as the HUGE LX.

Steve
11-19-2020, 10:29 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I want to shoot film I just grab my old Minolta X700 with the MD mount 28mm, 50mm, and 70-210mm. If I recall correctly, it has full PSAM modes. I use it almost exclusively in aperture priority.