Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Film camera recommendations?

Hi everyone,

As much as I enjoy using the MX with its huge viewfinder, I'm hoping to get some recommendations on other film bodies as I'm a bit tired of shooting all manual all the time. The features I'm looking for are lightweight, small size, and Av metering modes. Normally that would mean getting an ME or ME-Super, but I really don't like the tiny adjustment button and the heavy shutter vibration. It's gonna be a beater camera that's going to be in my bag virtually all the time, so I don't plan on using an LX for this role.

Would really appreciate user feedback suggestions, especially from people that have used the camera's they are recommending. Thanks so much!

Edit: What I mean by the tiny adjustment button is the white dot that needs to be pressed down to change modes on the ME and ME-Super. Honestly hurts my fingers pressing it.

Last edited by someasiancameraguy; 11-20-2020 at 04:45 AM.
11-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

P5/50 would be my choice, as they are cheep and not too big. (Note all the P Series bodies don't have a manual ISO setting or DX coding override)

Phil.
11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My P30T is not the smallest K-body and not the lightest for sure (my ZX-M was featherlight but the shutter broke, which is very common with those bodies). But the P30T is light enough for my use, and the A position will be Av with a manual aperture ring, and will be P mode if your lens is in the A position. It's a good compromise I think.
The shutter does "clack" with an odd sound, so it won't be your smooth shutter that you'd have with an LX or, I think, the MX... but I got used to it so it doesn't bother me.
You can't set the film speed to push/pull with it. But that's common with those "newer" film bodies. What the P30T really has for it, is that it seems to be made well with good quality components. I just did a little lubbing inside mine and all the gears and important parts seem to be made of metal (not plastic like the cheaper models in the Z series...)

I really liked the ZX-M design though - felt good in the hands, was super-light with a plastic 50mm like the Auto Sears 50 1.7, had the 1/2000 shutter speed and manual controls. Too bad they used so much plastic in the inner parts and those parts are now breaking down. A while back I was looking for one on Ebay just to see what is out there, and every single ZX-M was either broken or "untested", which to me also means broken...
11-19-2020, 08:42 AM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The Ricoh XR7 is like the ME Super but with teaditional controls.

11-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I can second the P30T recommendation. I like it because of the meter and view finder indicators vs older bodies as well as the diagonal split prism. I also like that the shutter speed wheel is more like on DSLRs where it sticks out the front so you can make easy adjustments with your fingertip while the camera is up to your eye. I can also override the film speed by scraping the paint off the DX code and putting my own on in its place with electrical tape and often push HP5 to 3200 that way. I have 2 and an ME Super, and while the ME Super is certainly nicer to hold and look at, I like shooting with a P30T.
11-19-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
but I really don't like the tiny adjustment button and the heavy shutter vibration.
Meaning you don't like the metal vertical shutter. In which case, I suggest an Olympus OM2 or similar. Otherwise, I would recommend a Ricoh XR7. I purchased my original copy* over the ME Super in 1982 and have never felt even the smallest pang of regret. I have found the XR7 to be a pleasure in use and very durable despite never having been coddled. I really should post a review, but until I do, the full feature set is posted here on PF:
Ricoh XR7 - Third-Party Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

My XR7 #2

At center with XR Winder II between XR-2s and Pentax Super Program

BTW...The XR7 has a secret weapon, AE Lock...

Steve

* That camera was fatally wounded by a defective Soviet fisheye about a decade ago and would likely still be fully functional except for a mangled aperture coupler. I now have two replacements.

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-19-2020 at 10:33 AM.
11-19-2020, 10:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
My P30T is not the smallest K-body and not the lightest for sure (my ZX-M was featherlight but the shutter broke, which is very common with those bodies). But the P30T is light enough for my use, and the A position will be Av with a manual aperture ring, and will be P mode if your lens is in the A position. It's a good compromise I think.
The shutter does "clack" with an odd sound, so it won't be your smooth shutter that you'd have with an LX or, I think, the MX... but I got used to it so it doesn't bother me.
I don't know about the P30T but if I remember correctly my P30 is either M or P mode, I don't think it's capable of Av though.
That said I like it a lot, the only downside for me is, that the shutter isn't working when the battery is drained.

11-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I don't know about the P30T but if I remember correctly my P30 is either M or P mode, I don't think it's capable of Av though.
That said I like it a lot, the only downside for me is, that the shutter isn't working when the battery is drained.
P30T does do Av mode.
11-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That changed with the P30n/P3n.

Steve
11-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you want a fully mechanical shutter with Av mode, other than the LX, the one I know is the Ricoh KR5 Super II... but you'll need Ricoh pin lenses for that one!

Has Pentax released another fully mechanical shutter camera with Av?
11-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had a Pentax Super A (a.k.a. Super Program) as a second body to my LX back in the eighties and nineties. It never missed a beat and served me well. It doesn't have a shutter dial and uses buttons pretty much the same as the ME Super, so that wouldn't work. The only other K mount body with a shutter speed dial I owned was the MX. Sorry, but I can't help much.

---------- Post added 2020-11-19 at 21:01 ----------

If you want a fully mechanical shutter with Av mode, other than the LX, the one I know is the Ricoh KR5 Super II... but you'll need Ricoh pin lenses for that one!

The LX is only fully mechanical from X (1/75) and up. If the battery goes dead, that's all you have. Better than the Nikon F3 that only gives you X.
11-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I have and use the first and last manual focus K-mount: The mighty K2 and the featherweight ZX-M both do auto exposure. The K2 is not the lightest around (especially with my A70-210 f4)
and the ZX-M doesn't have the biggest viewfinder. If I were traveling I'd consider the ZX-M. For everyday abuse, the K2.

Thanks,
11-19-2020, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

There is only one camera that has aperture priority AE and have all shutter speeds available when batteries die and that's the Nikon FM3A.

The Pentax LX and Canon New F-1 are aperture AE capable but only have sync speed and higher available when batteries die. They both also have B (bulb) mode available so you could estimate the slower speeds if pressed.
11-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You don't need the Ricoh pin on the Cosina-made KR5 Super II (mount is bog standard Pentax-K) and while it does have a full range of mechanical speeds from 1s to 1/2000s, it does not have Av exposure automation. The batteries power the meter and LED display and nothing else.

Steve
11-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, but as I own enough M42 lenses I currently use the Praktica MTL5B when shooting film since a working battery is no necessity to use this camera too.