Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2020, 11:24 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I gotta say, the K-series were technically not compact, but were petite by pre-OM1 standards and the same basic scale as the HUGE LX.
I started out with an MX and always thought the LX was huge.

Then I got an F2 😁

11-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As this question occurs every now and then, I like to bring those two threads to mind.

Help a brother out? Need camera advice... - PentaxForums.com
Need help making a decision on a camera purchase - PentaxForums.com
11-20-2020, 06:42 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to take a closer look at the Ricoh XR7, especially since it has a dedicated multiple exposure mode.
11-20-2020, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
As this question occurs every now and then, I like to bring those two threads to mind.
Almost monthly there is the odd "help me spend my money" request and we oblige by making the same suggestions. It is tradition and gives us an excuse to brag up our preferences.

Steve

11-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I gotta say, the K-series were technically not compact, but were petite by pre-OM1 standards and the same basic scale as the HUGE LX.

Steve
Yes, the K2 is probably the smallest AE camera of the mid-70s, pre-OM. Here's my K2 vs Nikon EL2 from the same era.

11-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #36

Super A for me. I had more positive experiences from electronics built in the 80's than the 70's (essentially pentax me or ricoh)

If you consider other brands nikon fg could be an option

11-20-2020, 10:43 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Steve
Of course the OM1 predated the K series but I guess they were surprised Olympus was also able to do the same with their AE capable OM2. Pentax ads proclaimed the K2 as the most compact AE camera.

Olympus really changed the lanscape cutting many production cycles prematurely.

11-21-2020, 08:51 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm going to take a closer look at the Ricoh XR7, especially since it has a dedicated multiple exposure mode.
How about Ricoh XR-P? Compared to XR7 it ads 1/2000s shutter speed, multi-program modes and other stuff. Ricoh XR-P Multi-Program

Then there's XR-S that is basically XR7 with solar panels to power rechargeable battery. I can be used with regular LR44 batteries as well. Ricoh XR-S
11-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I'd go for the Pentax Super A with a couple of small lenses. I used camera that with a 28mm and 50mm lens and it was perfect as a small, light weight kit, with just enough automation in Program mode to make it easy. Add a 135mm if you need something longer.
11-21-2020, 10:26 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Veteran Member

I'm just going to put this here, talk amongst yourselves..

11-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
. . . , I'm hoping to get some recommendations on other film bodies as I'm a bit tired of shooting all manual all the time. . . .
I'll just add this:

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Pentax Super Program (called Pentax Super A in some markets) is a versatile A-series film SLR featuring support for P, Tv, Av, and M exposure modes. You control the shutter speed using the push buttons on the camera, and the aperture via the aperture ring. Both can be set to auto (given you have an A-series lens or newer), which then brings the camera into Program mode. With M and K lenses Av and M exposure modes are available.

The Super Program was first Pentax with Program and Tv auto exposure and it also had TTL flash control, but even with the added electronics and mechanics the camera body is just about as compact as the original Pentax ME.

Disregarding the Pentax LX which is in a class by itself, the Pentax Super Program is the top model among all Pentax manual focus cameras when it comes to features and specifications.

Read more at: Pentax Super A / Super Program - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-22-2020 at 06:02 AM.
11-21-2020, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #42
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
How about Ricoh XR-P? Compared to XR7 it ads 1/2000s shutter speed, multi-program modes and other stuff. Ricoh XR-P Multi-Program
It is a great camera, but most of the bells and whistles require lenses with the Ricoh "P" mount variant. ("P" for Ricoh pin )

QuoteOriginally posted by Finntax Quote
Then there's XR-S that is basically XR7 with solar panels to power rechargeable battery. I can be used with regular LR44 batteries as well. Ricoh XR-S
Sadly, the "solar battery" on surviving XR-S cameras is usually (always?) kaput. As a result, that model is basically an XR7 with interesting prism housing bling.

Steve
11-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Huss Quote
I'm just going to put this here, talk amongst yourselves..
Such a tidy example! You should replace the strap connector to keep from further scraping that black paint though.
11-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a great camera, but most of the bells and whistles require lenses with the Ricoh "P" mount variant. ("P" for Ricoh pin )
Yeah, that's true. But the same way you need A series lenses to use the program mode on Super A/Super Program, which seems to be one of the preferred bodies here.

With any K-mount lens, the XR-P works like XR7+1/2000s and the Super A works like ME Super. IF you want to use the bells and whistles, you can always get P lenses for XR-P or A lenses for Super A. Rikenon P lens series is just more limited compared to Pentax A series and and harder to find. You also need to remember that Ricoh XR-P program modes won't work with Pentax A lenses the same way Pentax Super A program mode won't work with Rikenon P lenses. If someone is interested in the full program modes, the XR-P is mode advanced than Super A.

Sadly, the "solar battery" on surviving XR-S cameras is usually (always?) kaput. As a result, that model is basically an XR7 with interesting prism housing bling.
Exactly. It was just to point out that if you are looking for XR7 you can widen the search on XR-S if you don't mind the solar panels. Many probably hate them, but for me it's what makes the XR-S a special camera even the charging system is not working anymore and I use regular batteries.

Last edited by Finntax; 11-22-2020 at 01:26 AM.
11-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Well I dont think anyone has mentioned the Chinon CE5.

Its much under rated in my opinion. Yes its mostly plastic but its also mostly good and I am regretting selling my near mint example. Heres why I think as a grab and go it aces most of the cameras I own from that period.

Lightweight....far lighter than almost any other camera I own presently, the Minolta XGM is similar but of course doesnt use Pentax glass.
Fast shutter to 2000th...the closest camera I own that can hit that is a Nikon F301 which is heavier and bulkier. (Note...I used to the the 301 as my grab and go and carry cam back in the day and its good but only if you have Nikon glass..otherwise you have to re lens yourself.)
Stepless Seiko vertical metal blade shutter so pretty accurate.
Fill information viewfinder showing whats currently selected and what the meter recommends. Plus flash ready and aperture read out.
Slick well damped controls and little vibration from mirror slap.
Nice bright viewfinder
When used with its winder you can run the camera from the winder shutter release without having the winder powered which is nice, you get a better grip but dont have to use the winder and can wind manually.
Stop down lever just about the best positioned and usable of anything apart from the Canon FTb.
AP mode worked well on mine.

And of course it takes all the Pentax K glass.

On the downside its all plastic on the outside and the top and base are very thin and probably prone to damage if it has to cope with rough and tumble, they are nigh impossible to work on so make sure you get a good one at the start. They dont seem to use nearly as much disintegrating foam as many but the door seals are quite complex and a bit harder to replace than most but not scarily so.

I got mine for about £30 and apart from slightly peeling leatherette which was quickly fixed with some glue it was a champ. In a moment of madness I sold it off and have wished ever since I hadnt as really nice oens are hard to find.