Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #16
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Steve, as you said "The reason why I so strongly suggested MC is because most of the reputable brands are." But I was suggesting: if looking to buy used older filters, they were often single coated, and thus may be quite inexpensive now. If money is not an issue, certainly multi coated are best. But looking to try out several filters, including circular PL, going the new multicoated route may be (off the cuff guess) $200-$300 for (about) half dozen filters of the smaller 52 or 49mm diameter.

11-22-2020, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brinno Quote
Hi all,

I’m a bit of a newbie to film. Which filters do you think is good to have for film?

Would you get any if the balancing ones like The cooling 80A and 82A Or the warming ones like a KR3?

I want to get yellow for b&w and also Uv, polarisers and a ND.

Should I get UVs for every lense?
I agree with your choices of yellow for B&W, a polarizer and an ND or a set of them.

Considering scanning and post-processing, I would not bother with color correction filters. The only time I used them was when I was a pro on film sets and would have tungsten balanced lights but shooting daylight balanced film or the opposite.

The only other lens I'd recommend is a graduated neutral density filter for landscapes, sunrise, or sunsets.

A UV for every lens is wise, but a waste of money if:
a) You're shooting indoors or at night.
b) You already have another filter on the lens (don't double stack!).
c) You buy mediocre UV filters without quality multicoatings.
d) You are not accident prone or won't be shooting near salt or water spray or dusty places.

I've used UV filters for years, but now I prefer a good lens hood instead in most situations.
11-22-2020, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are getting tons of good advice. Some that I used to use a lot in my film days included 80's, 81s, ND gradient, gradient and polarizers.I really no longer shoot film but have tons of filters in different thread sizes for color correction and linear polarizers. The only ones I use anymore are ND filters and circular polarizers so if there is something you'd like to try I will offer you a really good deal.
11-22-2020, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I my film days I used a polarizer, nd, a uv at high elevations if I didn't use either of the first two. For B & W film I used red, green, and yellow filters.

11-22-2020, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
... I would not bother with color correction filters. .
What about slide film? Of course you can correct the computer version.
11-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
What about slide film? Of course you can correct the computer version.
If the slides are destined for direct projection or a type R print, then yes, color correction filters are essential. But I stopped using a slide projector and making Ilfochrome/Cibachrome or type R prints 15 years ago.
11-23-2020, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
You are getting tons of good advice. Some that I used to use a lot in my film days included 80's, 81s, ND gradient, gradient and polarizers.I really no longer shoot film but have tons of filters in different thread sizes for color correction and linear polarizers. The only ones I use anymore are ND filters and circular polarizers so if there is something you'd like to try I will offer you a really good deal.
Thanks I’ll message you and tell you what I’m looking for.

---------- Post added 11-23-20 at 06:16 PM ----------

Thank you everyone. Your advice has been fantastic and definitely given me a good guide on what to start with and what to leave it for now. I’ve been looking at some vintage filters by Izumar, Asahi and Pallas. This has definitely been a great read with lots of excellent suggestions.