Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2020, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
People always search for simplicity. Give kids the most sophisticated electronic gadgets, but when they find a simple stick, they will play with it. It is human nature.
I remember as a kid getting many weeks of fun out of the large cardboard box the washing machine came in...

12-19-2020, 09:05 AM - 1 Like   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We had a week of ecstasy when the neighbors replaced their entire kitchen... I think I was eight...

That may be why I still use my H1a...

Though I've never wanted to build a fancy pinhole for more than a few moments...

-Eric
12-19-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
We had a week of ecstasy when the neighbors replaced their entire kitchen... I think I was eight...

That may be why I still use my H1a...

Though I've never wanted to build a fancy pinhole for more than a few moments...

-Eric
Thank you for reminding me of the pinhole camera. I've had a few thoughts, over the years, of trying to make one, but never did. Not until a couple years ago when there as a partial solar eclipse in my area. My two grandsons were visiting at the time and I thought the maybe I could make a pinhole projector to allow them to see the eclipse without causing damage to their eyes. So, I used a sheet of card stock and made a small hole in it then projected the eclipse through that onto another sheet of card stock. The grandsons were slightly impressed but not enough to call home and tell their parents about it.
12-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I remember as a kid getting many weeks of fun out of the large cardboard box the washing machine came in...
Indeed ;-)

12-20-2020, 10:05 AM - 2 Likes   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cats and kids, both love cardboard boxes.
12-22-2020, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

By the time I bought the film and had it developed and scanned, it was also $45. I won't be doing that again soon...
If you buy a roll, and get it processed at Dwayne's Photo, it would only be 2/3 the price or possibly less. And there are probably other places that can do it for cheaper than $45, total.
12-22-2020, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you buy a roll, and get it processed at Dwayne's Photo, it would only be 2/3 the price or possibly less. And there are probably other places that can do it for cheaper than $45, total.
Processing was by Dwayne's, and I sprung for the high resolution (only a few dollars more than the regular scan).

The film was $20, and Dwayne's charges shipping per order, so my one roll was $5, then $18 or so for the actual processing.
I thought their rates were competitive, so nothing against Dwaynes, and they even nicely taped my last frame into the holder since it was a little short.

It was just a lot more than print film at the local shop...

-Eric

12-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Processing was by Dwayne's, and I sprung for the high resolution (only a few dollars more than the regular scan).

The film was $20, and Dwayne's charges shipping per order, so my one roll was $5, then $18 or so for the actual processing.
I thought their rates were competitive, so nothing against Dwaynes, and they even nicely taped my last frame into the holder since it was a little short.

It was just a lot more than print film at the local shop...

-Eric
I think it differs from shop to shop, but yes, I agree, sometimes it can be expensive together with the roll of film and developing,
12-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
f you buy a roll, and get it processed at Dwayne's Photo, it would only be 2/3 the price or possibly less. And there are probably other places that can do it for cheaper than $45, total
QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
I think it differs from shop to shop, but yes, I agree, sometimes it can be expensive together with the roll of film and developing,

I use Dwayne's for my Ektachrome vacation shots and have them process & mount the slides for projection. (No scans) I usually send them 6 to 15 rolls at a time and then the costs are pretty good shipping wise back to Canada.

For Ektachrome work at home I use a local lab for processing and scans and that costs more than the work I have done at Dwayne's. (They don't do slide mounting any longer, as their machine broke down)

It's the scanning costs that add up for me.

Phil.
12-23-2020, 09:23 AM   #100
Pentaxian

This idea is gaining popularity lately, but not just for Pentax, for any of the existing manufacturers who have a film legacy - Pentax, Canon, Nikon. I'd say that's all that's left, with Olympus being sold off, Yashica nothing more than a name and everyone else gone. However, Nikon just discontinued one of the very few film cameras still available new, the F6, so it seems that isn't on the cards at least for a robust pro model.

As working used models get thinner on the ground the idea will become more profitable as used prices will rise and eventually approach the cost of producing a new model.
12-23-2020, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This idea is gaining popularity lately, but not just for Pentax, for any of the existing manufacturers who have a film legacy - Pentax, Canon, Nikon. I'd say that's all that's left, with Olympus being sold off, Yashica nothing more than a name and everyone else gone.

As working used models get thinner on the ground the idea will become more profitable as used prices will rise and eventually approach the cost of producing a new model.
And, as the working models of film SLRs decrease are there many repair shops that could or would repair them and where would the parts come from? Old broken cameras may supply some parts, but for how long and how reliable would they be? The availability of film is another concern, I know some is out there but at what cost for it and the processing? Many questions need to be answered before film SLRs will come back in high demand.
12-23-2020, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
And, as the working models of film SLRs decrease are there many repair shops that could or would repair them and where would the parts come from? Old broken cameras may supply some parts, but for how long and how reliable would they be? The availability of film is another concern, I know some is out there but at what cost for it and the processing? Many questions need to be answered before film SLRs will come back in high demand.
The variety and availability of film has increased substantially over the last few years. Not having a crystal ball I cannot say this trend will continue, but at the moment the situation is MUCH rosier than it was 10 years ago. Compared to digital, it is (and will remain) a bit of a niche, but a much healthier niche than it was not so long ago.
12-23-2020, 10:46 PM - 1 Like   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
This idea is gaining popularity lately, but not just for Pentax, for any of the existing manufacturers who have a film legacy - Pentax, Canon, Nikon. I'd say that's all that's left, with Olympus being sold off, Yashica nothing more than a name and everyone else gone.
Fujifilm? I mean, they are still producing film! They are also producing film cameras — rather toy-like instant film cameras, but still.
12-23-2020, 11:20 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I use Dwayne's for my Ektachrome vacation shots and have them process & mount the slides for projection. (No scans) I usually send them 6 to 15 rolls at a time and then the costs are pretty good shipping wise back to Canada.

For Ektachrome work at home I use a local lab for processing and scans and that costs more than the work I have done at Dwayne's. (They don't do slide mounting any longer, as their machine broke down)

It's the scanning costs that add up for me.

Phil.
Not that I want to make publicity, but Lomography itself is rather cheap (15 euro) for developing, scanning and printing. But you have to send it to them (in the case when there isn't a lomolab in your country).

Last edited by Reciprocity; 12-23-2020 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typo
12-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #105
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The variety and availability of film has increased substantially over the last few years. Not having a crystal ball I cannot say this trend will continue, but at the moment the situation is MUCH rosier than it was 10 years ago. Compared to digital, it is (and will remain) a bit of a niche, but a much healthier niche than it was not so long ago.
Indeed, true.