Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2020, 04:41 AM   #1

Pentax Super A can not change ISO

Hello, I have just bought used Pentax Super A.
It looks like camera has not been used for a long time.
There is problem with ISO/ASA dial ring. I can rotate the ring inside but exposure metering is not changing.
ISO always stuck nearly 200. Also exposure correction doesn't work too.
What are possible reasons? Can it be caused by oxidizing?
Maybe someone have an idea what about it?

Is there variable resistor inside?

12-26-2020, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I’ve encountered this exact problem on several older Pentax SLRs.
Turn the dial back and forth though its full range quickly dozens of times. Often this removes the light corrosion and restores contact in the resistor rheostat. You can also drip a few drops of Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid around the base and try the same thing. Lighter fluid leaves no residue.
12-26-2020, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dumb question, but the LCD display will always show and shoot at 1/1000 until the frame counter is at 1. This "feature" prevents the leading frames from being metered and shot for long times with the lens cap on. I've been fooled into thinking I had a dud Super Program until I remembered this "feature".
12-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Dumb question, but the LCD display will always show and shoot at 1/1000 until the frame counter is at 1.
I know about this feature. After rewind to 1st frame in "auto" mode exposure metering works fine. LCD indicates different values. But ISO speed selector have no affects.

I have found ME Super disassembled manual. There is potentiometer with lever. SuperA should be similar.

Attached Images

02-12-2022, 11:48 PM   #5

Original Poster
There was problem with oxidized contact. I got qualified cleaning for camera and it works again!

Thank you to all for answers.