01-08-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...

PRESENTING...

MY FULLY FUNCTIONING...

$21 PENTAX MX!!!

Hello,

Before we continue, I just want to clarify, I'm NOT a camera repair guy. Just a tinkerer with a bad habit of taking things apart. I don't have specialized equipment to do calibrations or stuff like that. But I've been lucky that in most of my projects there have been no broken or missing parts.

So I got this MX for $21 plus shipping (~$35 total). When I started working on it I honestly thought it was going to be a learning experience but it would never be a working camera again. But persistence paid off and I now have a fully working MX!

I have tested everything: shutter speeds, meter, hot shoe, Judas window, "FP" and "X" flash ports, self timer, etc. By the way, the self timer just had a loose spring.

The camera shows some wear; minor scuffs, scratches and even a few tiny dings, all contributing to a nice patina. The ultimate test will be a roll of film and I hope that will happen soon.

So here it is:

But of course, this camera was made to pair with the best lens ever made in the history of lenses! The mighty M50 f1.7

Just noticed in the pics a few dust particles left and some fingerprints. I'll get to those.

To say I'm happy is an understatement.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Great job.

01-08-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #32

What do you think?
Awesome! Congratulations

The MX is really something to behold - smallest mechanical film SLR in the world (my understanding is that even the OM-1 is bigger) with one of the biggest viewfinders out there (or biggest?) - and a nice selection of fantastic yet affordable lenses, including that 50mm f1.7 (hard to beat the price/quality ratio of that lens). And those sleek looks. Yep, it's a nice camera alright.
01-08-2021, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What do you think?

Thanks,
Great job done right!
01-08-2021, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Absolutely exceptional camera. I've just had two serviced and they cost a fair few more than $21 as a result, let me assure you!
Looking forward to seeing the shots from it.

01-08-2021, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

Looks fantastic..... well done. Hope the test roll goes ok.
01-08-2021, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful work Ismael!

So how many camera resurrections does this make now?
01-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #37

Good job. No buggered screws (on the outside anyway ).
01-08-2021, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...
PRESENTING...
MY FULLY FUNCTIONING...

$21 PENTAX MX!!!

Hello,

Before we continue, I just want to clarify, I'm NOT a camera repair guy. Just a tinkerer with a bad habit of taking things apart. I don't have specialized equipment to do calibrations or stuff like that. But I've been lucky that in most of my projects there have been no broken or missing parts.
So I got this MX for $21 plus shipping (~$35 total). When I started working on it I honestly thought it was going to be a learning experience but it would never be a working camera again. But persistence paid off and I now have a fully working MX!
I have tested everything: shutter speeds, meter, hot shoe, Judas window, "FP" and "X" flash ports, self timer, etc. By the way, the self timer just had a loose spring.
The camera shows some wear; minor scuffs, scratches and even a few tiny dings, all contributing to a nice patina. The ultimate test will be a roll of film and I hope that will happen soon.

So here it is:

But of course, this camera was made to pair with the best lens ever made in the history of lenses! The mighty M50 f1.7

Just noticed in the pics a few dust particles left and some fingerprints. I'll get to those.
What do you think?

Thanks,
Remarkable. Well done!

I was thinking, "wow, that is an enormous fingerprint... wait... it's on my monitor..." It looks clean to me... I'd shoot with it...

-Eric

01-09-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #39

Great job!
And yes, the MX is such a beautiful camera. It is almost a pain because every time I shoot with it, I spend as much time looking at it than looking around me...
01-14-2021, 12:32 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Brilliant job. Congratulations! The MX is my second favourite SLR. You'll love it.

K.
02-17-2021, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And we have pictures! WOHOO!

Hello,

In mid January I loaded my last Kodak Gold 100 roll in my stash (expired almost a decade ago) in the MX and off I went...

Straight scans downloaded from Wayne's. No PP whatsoever other than resize and signature. Negatives are in transit and as usual I will try to scan my own to see if I can improve on these. But Dwayne's color scans are usually very good.

I'm happy!

Thanks,
02-18-2021, 07:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DC6 or Electra?
That is a cool plane
02-18-2021, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is a DC4. I think it was involved in a taxiing accident in the early 90's
02-18-2021, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #44

Awesome work Ismaelg, I would never attempt to tackle something like that...