01-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #16

Wow! Awesome.

01-03-2021, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hello,

Thank you all for your comments! I do have the service manual pdf.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is a website that shows the innards of the MX. Although it is mostly in Japanese, there are a lot of detailed pics that need no translation -> http://cypresslin.web.fc2.com/Memo/M-PentaxMX.html -> Pentax MX Disassembly
Thank you! That's very useful!

OK so I think I found the problem. Somehow, both upper and lower first curtain ribbons had jumped the pulleys! Get these back into the pulleys. Simple: Right? Or so I thought! This was a week's battle. The battle actually started last year
I was finally able to get them in place.
So I'm done!
No wait.... I don't think I can take pictures with it yet...

Thanks,
01-03-2021, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That scares me to death. 😅
01-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello gang!

I was about to start putting everything back together when I noticed this little part.
Doesn't look like broken off. Does anybody has any idea what it is and most importantly, where it goes?
I reviewed all reference pics I've taken as well as the service manual and other web sites with no luck. At it again as I may have missed it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ismael

01-05-2021, 03:07 PM - 2 Likes   #20

Been a while since I have been in an MX. I may have a junker I can look at later. One hole means it is probably designed to pivot, maybe on a pin? The tip looks like it may be designed to hook or latch on something, or at least follow some type of cam. If you have the Pentax parts diagram and list look at item B35, Hook Plate. Looks like that is attached to the side of the mirror housing, sits on a pin and secured with a clip. That is the closest I can find by looking at the diagram, but the illustrations are not always that accurate.
01-05-2021, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #21

Well, never mind. That is not the part. I took a junk camera all the way apart, removing shutter and all. I cannot find a part like that in your photo. Makes me wonder if it is a UFO (unidentified foreign object). Maybe something that came out of a lens and ended up fouling something inside causing your shutter problem.
01-05-2021, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

I consulted with a professional camera repair guy and we are coming to the conclusion it is most likely a piece of a lens that fell off and most likely the cause of the dislodged shutter bands.
So yes, it is most likely a UFO (unidentified foreign object)
Procrastinator is solidifying the theory even more.

Thanks,

Last edited by ismaelg; 01-05-2021 at 09:35 PM.
01-05-2021, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello gang!

I was about to start putting everything back together when I noticed this little part.
Doesn't look like broken off. Does anybody has any idea what it is and most importantly, where it goes?
I reviewed all reference pics I've taken as well as the service manual and other web sites with no luck. At it again as I may have missed it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ismael
Japan, 1977, the Pentax factory:
<where is my calibration lever for my MX body assembly fixture? I’ll have to get a spare from the service room...>

That curvature doesn’t look like it lines up with anything in the disassembled body...

-Eric
01-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

No pictures yet but putting everything back together and it is beginning to resemble a camera again. My half a dozen or so solder joints may not win beauty contests but they work. The self timer is wonky. Something is not right. Checking that now. Also, noticed the hot shoe is not properly seated. I think this camera was opened before but with no care. At least nothing is missing or broken.

Thanks,
01-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Progress is Progress, keep on keeping on.
01-07-2021, 06:32 PM - 5 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

Peek a boo! Getting dressed...
[Insert sexy saxophone music here]

Thanks,
01-08-2021, 01:53 AM - 2 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Hello,

Peek a boo! Getting dressed...
[Insert sexy saxophone music here]

Thanks,
You need a 'NSFW' warning on this one.
01-08-2021, 05:20 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Hello gang!

Thanks,
Ismael
You will find out when you have put the last screw in for the final assembly. It looks to me to be a ratchet pawl but I guess that if one was missing from say the wind on crank you would have noticed.
01-08-2021, 05:36 AM - 9 Likes   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...
PRESENTING...
MY FULLY FUNCTIONING...

$21 PENTAX MX!!!

Hello,

Before we continue, I just want to clarify, I'm NOT a camera repair guy. Just a tinkerer with a bad habit of taking things apart. I don't have specialized equipment to do calibrations or stuff like that. But I've been lucky that in most of my projects there have been no broken or missing parts.
So I got this MX for $21 plus shipping (~$35 total). When I started working on it I honestly thought it was going to be a learning experience but it would never be a working camera again. But persistence paid off and I now have a fully working MX!
I have tested everything: shutter speeds, meter, hot shoe, Judas window, "FP" and "X" flash ports, self timer, etc. By the way, the self timer just had a loose spring.
The camera shows some wear; minor scuffs, scratches and even a few tiny dings, all contributing to a nice patina. The ultimate test will be a roll of film and I hope that will happen soon.

So here it is:

But of course, this camera was made to pair with the best lens ever made in the history of lenses! The mighty M50 f1.7

Just noticed in the pics a few dust particles left and some fingerprints. I'll get to those.
To say I'm happy is an understatement.
What do you think?

Thanks,
01-08-2021, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Hey Ismael, what a cracking job! This one in particular must have given you a lot of satisfaction.