Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2021, 03:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How to clean an SLR mirror?

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips, tricks and techniques for cleaning an SLR mirror?

I’m aware that universal advice appears to be ‘don’t touch them with anything ever’. However, I’m wondering if there is a way to do it properly?

The potential victims are an SV and F2.

Thanks, Nick

01-07-2021, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

A rocket blower can help. If contact is needed, a gentle light dry quality brush. If anything more is needed (rarely) I use a cotton swab with a little lens cleaning fluid.
The silver coating in the mirror is very delicate and easily scratched. That's why it is common to see older mirrors scratched with cleaning marks.

Thanks,
01-07-2021, 05:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Ismael. Both the SV and F2 look like someone has tried to do a wet clean in the past and left streaks (rather than actual scratches). I suspect the only way to ‘clean’ the poor cleaning is another wet clean...
01-07-2021, 05:59 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Thanks Ismael. Both the SV and F2 look like someone has tried to do a wet clean in the past and left streaks (rather than actual scratches). I suspect the only way to ‘clean’ the poor cleaning is another wet clean...
If you are going to clean them, be very gentle. They can be knocked out of alignment pretty easily.
I suspect a sensor cleaner would do a good and streak free cleaning.
Generally, I don't clean lenses or mirrors.

01-07-2021, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

A rocket blower can help. If contact is needed, a gentle light dry quality brush. If anything more is needed (rarely) I use a cotton swab with a little lens cleaning fluid.
The silver coating in the mirror is very delicate and easily scratched. That's why it is common to see older mirrors scratched with cleaning marks.

Thanks,
This is my approach as well. I might add that the only time I had to do wet cleaning was with a very dirty film camera that I acquired from eBay.

Steve
01-07-2021, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I go with the blower, or a wet q-tip to pick up something stuck. In the case where there is degraded cushion foam stuck on the end of the mirror, I might use a q-tip wet with acetone or methanol. Then wipe dry with lens tissue around a q-tip. Any fast drying clean solvent would work but probably 100% acetone is the worst because it can melt some plastics. Methanol or isopropanol are milder. Lighter fluid works well too. And you can use a hear gun or hair drier to speed up drying.

01-08-2021, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Blow clean first
Light brush with a very fine sable brush...very gently and stay away from the focus screen
Dampened Q tip with dilute IPA for grease or gunk, distilled water for streak marks.

I always so a breath test, breath on the mirror, watch as the fog clears. Fog will clear slowest over any residue the fog should clear evenly if the mirror is clean but dont get obsessive. Check the VF and if you can see no aberrations then its clean enough. Overcleaning is not good.

10-12-2022, 06:11 PM   #8

This dust won't blow away. I was thinking of using a microfiber cloth or a Q-tip with w/distilled water. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, how to clean a dslr mirror