Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you remove the whole assembly with those two screws? If you could get it out, and use a soldering iron with a very fine tip to heat what it threads into, you might break it free more easily. You could try in camera, but the body will act like a heat sink. Also be careful on heating the battery up. Of course, holding and trying to unscrew it while out of the body will be fun - try heating it in body first. And while I use PB Blaster for most of my corroded challenges, I think Kroil is the ultimate. You can get it direct from Kano Labs, Midway USA, or Amazon.

01-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the same thing happen with one of my spanner wrenches of that type. And right now the spares are not available. I've had "blaster" or DeoxIT take a week. Patience is a virtue (necessity).
01-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Scrape away as much of that crud as you can before adding solvents/acids etc. It will make a big difference.
01-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all!
It is all about having fun and sharing it with others.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
I’m curious where you find these cameras so cheap. Seems like on eBay clearly broken cameras are sold as “untested” but at working camera prices. Great job on the MX.
Other than the rare instance where somebody is about to throw away something and gives it to me (like the Minolta SRT and the Instamatic from last year), it is all eBay. Very patiently (and disciplined) looking at things flying under the radar like vague descriptions or poor pictures, etc. I set myself a challenging limit depending on the item: For example $25 including shipping and I stick to it. If I'm outbid for a penny, so be it. Let it go. As an example, I was looking at Pentax MGs for over a year. But it is getting more difficult. Not only it is getting very crowded, but shipping is now averaging over $15. Also, more and more eBay auctions say no shipping outside lower 48 so I can't get a shipping price. If I'm really interested I contact the seller and 99% of the times they were not aware and correct it.

Thanks,

01-10-2021, 07:53 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
THE MG was fun but of little use with no M mode for me
I got one near mint years ago and used it while biking; the poor thing took a plunge in a canal in Rotterdam when the strap broke

Pentax MG - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia
01-10-2021, 11:07 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
As I got into cameras and photography later, I was surprised nobody knew what a Pentax MG was. It seemed it was just a tiny sidenote in history.
Back in the 90's I recall people still touting the MG paired with a 40mm pancake as a great take-anywhere camera, also light for hiking.
01-11-2021, 01:57 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a beautiful, minty new looking one that everything worked. I traded it off for something cool like a Minolta. 😎

01-11-2021, 07:28 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Also, more and more eBay auctions say no shipping outside lower 48 so I can't get a shipping price. If I'm really interested I contact the seller and 99% of the times they were not aware and correct it.
Good for you - a lot of folks in the US (lower 48) are not aware of the fixed price US Post priority mail boxes and envelopes. And, using them, all US states, possessions, and territories qualify - I can send something to Hawaii/Alaska/Puerto Rice (!)/Guam for the same price as to Phoenix (150 miles away).
01-11-2021, 07:55 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
a lot of folks in the US (lower 48) are not aware of the fixed price US Post priority mail boxes and envelopes. And, using them, all US states, possessions, and territories qualify - I can send something to Hawaii/Alaska/Puerto Rice (!)/Guam for the same price as to Phoenix (150 miles away).
They are also great for sending stuff to military addresses if you know someone deployed. When I last did that there was like a $2 discount when sending to military members at military addresses. I sent a lot of large flat rate boxes packed full to my cousins.
01-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I went through a phase of wanting all the M series cameras so have a MG, ME, MV and MV1 none of which I have ever used. I do use my ME Supers, MXes and ME-F. Yes, I too prefer to have access to a manual mode.
01-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I went through a phase of wanting all the M series cameras so have a MG, ME, MV and MV1 none of which I have ever used. I do use my ME Supers, MXes and ME-F. Yes, I too prefer to have access to a manual mode.
Yes, Kris, we know you do! Along with that peach of a lens in the SMC-K 35mm f/2 that you keeping making me jealous with purchased recently!
01-11-2021, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Yes, Kris, we know you do! Along with that peach of a lens in the SMC-K 35mm f/2 that you keeping making me jealous with purchased recently!
I still haven't managed to score the K28/2 tho...
01-12-2021, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello,

So I won a battle but I'm loosing the war.

Finally broke free! I immediately cleaned it and forgot to take a picture of it. Trust me, it was bad. Working perfectly fine. I even put batteries there and my multimeter reads perfect 3V between "chassis" and the positive contact.

"This is an experimental air cooled battery cap design"

One of the 2 batteries trapped there for who knows how many years.

That was the good part.

The bad part is I think this camera may have been dropped. I found a few springs out of place. The viewfinder bezel was also cracked. But the first curtain is dead. I think that is fatal. Also, this spring came out loose from inside. Again, been the smart a$$ I think I am, I looked into the service manual for its location.
But this is all a one piece assembly. I'm on my own trying to figure out where it goes. But I can't take it apart further. That is most likely another dead end.

Scary or cute?

Thanks,
01-13-2021, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cameras are amazing inside.
01-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster