Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
SFX battery holder

This is a question carried over from the UK fora. There, "kangs" has posted an image of the battery holder showing that the usual 2CR5 battery won't fit. This caused some interest, and I checked out my SFX and SFXn and the holder looks a bit different, and the 2CR5 batteries fit fine.

In the manual for the SFX (but not the SFXn) Bertie54 noticed that on page 4 it says: "Insert PRD2dp and DL-223A within the inner frame of the battery chamber as shown above" within a little illustration. The line drawing makes it look as though there is an optional insert to use the smaller battery.

Has any body come across this before? Looking at the photo of my holders compared to kangs, it looks like you have to unscrew the top bit and replace it with the deeper one. I've done a bit of Googling but not found anything.

The UK forum thread is here.

Thanks, Kris.

NB: No, we are not getting muddled-up with the optional AA battery holder. The AA holder is completely different looking.

01-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah it looks like Pentax updated the SFXn battery holder from the older SFX and named it Fb. The 2CR5 batteries may have been new at the time of the first SFX bodies and they initially took different batteries.

There also could be a new SFX manual showing this change?

Phil.
01-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There might be. The one I showed was from the web. I'll have a dig in my box'o'manuals and see if I have one. The Hove Fountain book for the SFX and the SFXn doesn't mention the smaller batteries.

K.
01-14-2021, 03:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After digging around a bit I have found four different batter holders for the SFX/SF1 and the SFXn/SF1n:

Part# 37001 AA Battery Grip SFX
Part# 37003 Lithium Battery Grip SFX (smaller 6V DL-223A)
Part# 37007 AA Battery Grip Fb
Part# 37009 Lithium Battery Grip Fb (larger 6V 2CR5)

Not sure if the "SFX" holders work on the newer SFXn or the "Fb" holders work on the older SFX.

Also looks like the SFX manual should not have listed the 2CR5 batteries as fitting into the pictured holder.

Phil.

01-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
This is a question carried over from the UK fora. There, "kangs" has posted an image of the battery holder showing that the usual 2CR5 battery won't fit. This caused some interest, and I checked out my SFX and SFXn and the holder looks a bit different, and the 2CR5 batteries fit fine.

In the manual for the SFX (but not the SFXn) Bertie54 noticed that on page 4 it says: "Insert PRD2dp and DL-223A within the inner frame of the battery chamber as shown above" within a little illustration. The line drawing makes it look as though there is an optional insert to use the smaller battery.

Has any body come across this before? Looking at the photo of my holders compared to kangs, it looks like you have to unscrew the top bit and replace it with the deeper one. I've done a bit of Googling but not found anything.

The UK forum thread is here.

Thanks, Kris.

NB: No, we are not getting muddled-up with the optional AA battery holder. The AA holder is completely different looking.
Interesting. I've never seen that insert and I have a number of SFX and SFXn camera bodies. All have either the regular 2CR5 battery holder or the AA battery holder (which is larger). It looks like that battery holder has an insert to take a shorter battery. Now, interestingly, I did once see a battery just like a 2CR5, but shorter but a google search, now, does not indicate anything of that size.
01-14-2021, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
After digging around a bit I have found four different batter holders for the SFX/SF1 and the SFXn/SF1n:

Part# 37001 AA Battery Grip SFX
Part# 37003 Lithium Battery Grip SFX (smaller 6V DL-223A)
Part# 37007 AA Battery Grip Fb
Part# 37009 Lithium Battery Grip Fb (larger 6V 2CR5)

Not sure if the "SFX" holders work on the newer SFXn or the "Fb" holders work on the older SFX.

Also looks like the SFX manual should not have listed the 2CR5 batteries as fitting into the pictured holder.

Phil.
The 2CR5 holders work on either the SFX or SFXn (the AA holders are interchangeable too). The main visible difference is the logo for the SFX is on the battery grip and for the SFXn is on the camera body. My SFX has a 2CR5 battery holder with SFX on it. My SFXn has a plain holder, and SFX (not SFXn!) on the body, but SFXn on the top plate.

My best guess is that they changed from the smaller to the larger batteries at some point during the production run of the SFX.

Kris.
01-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 2CR5 holders work on either the SFX or SFXn (the AA holders are interchangeable too). The main visible difference is the logo for the SFX is on the battery grip and for the SFXn is on the camera body. My SFX has a 2CR5 battery holder with SFX on it. My SFXn has a plain holder, and SFX (not SFXn!) on the body, but SFXn on the top plate.

My best guess is that they changed from the smaller to the larger batteries at some point during the production run of the SFX.

Kris.
OK thanks goo to know. I only have the SF1n with the "Part# 37009 Lithium Battery Grip Fb (larger 6V 2CR5)"

Phil.

01-15-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
OK thanks goo to know. I only have the SF1n with the "Part# 37009 Lithium Battery Grip Fb (larger 6V 2CR5)"

Phil.
Well, never believe what you read... Having seen in various places that the holders are inter-changeable, I actually tried fitting the SFX holder on the SFXn this morning (by accident, I was swapping the battery over to check the SFX was still working). It almost fit, but not quite...

In terms of the original question, however, it looks like some SFXs came with a different battery holder to the common 2CR5 one, and I suspect, given the lack of mention of them on the WWW, that they aren't very common.

Cheers, Kris.
01-15-2021, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, never believe what you read... Having seen in various places that the holders are inter-changeable, I actually tried fitting the SFX holder on the SFXn this morning (by accident, I was swapping the battery over to check the SFX was still working). It almost fit, but not quite...

In terms of the original question, however, it looks like some SFXs came with a different battery holder to the common 2CR5 one, and I suspect, given the lack of mention of them on the WWW, that they aren't very common.

Cheers, Kris.
I can confirm that the SFX / SF1 battery holder fits on the SFXn and the SFXn battery holder fits the SFX / SF1. I have three of each and they're all interchangeable. The SFXn battery holder does have an extra little "lego"-like plastic bump internally and if not lined up perfectly, may give the appearance that it won't fit an SFX / SF1 , but it does fit.