Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2021, 02:17 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Asahi Pentax SL

The Second Best ..

So if you work in marketing and want to promote your camera, but really want to sell the more expensive item.. Not sure how many would buy the second best...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
01-15-2021, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why would you buy a camera with the 55/2 instead of the 55/1.8? Yet people did. And it cost Asahi just as much to make the 55/2...
01-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another "interesting" advertisment from Pentax.

I have thought about getting an SL, however an SP - with or without working meter - is more convenient to use
due to addition of combined meter switch/stopdown lever on body.
I often use DOF preview, and operating the A/M switch on lens is not the most convenient way to accomplish this.

Besides nice SL bodies are far harder to find and usually far more expensive than nice SP bodies...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-17-2021 at 07:06 PM.
01-15-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
The Second Best ..

So if you work in marketing and want to promote your camera, but really want to sell the more expensive item.. Not sure how many would buy the second best...
The advert is very much in the same vein as the DDB Volkswagen adverts of the same vintage...

Extremely self-deprecating with subtle humor.

Here are some: Remembering the Beetle ? 30 Volkswagen Ads from the 1960s | Designbeep

-Eric

01-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I wonder if it's a translation error although it seems to be perfectly fine.

Then I thought could you say it another way like, "Who needs a meter anyway!" or "Pros don't need a meter!" These of course shoots down the Spotmatics main attribute - the meter . . .

It was released in 1968 and pretty much every camera by then had a meter except for the Leica which didn't get one until 1971 M5.

The manuals for the Spotmatic and SL show their weights at 868g & 798g. I didn't think the meter circuit could weigh that much.

Head scratcher for sure . . .

Last edited by LesDMess; 01-15-2021 at 09:35 PM.
01-16-2021, 06:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

I consider the SL as basically the continuation of the SV concept. Similar specs on a different package. However, the SL was a low tier version of the Spotty while the SV was the high tier version of the S series.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The manuals for the Spotmatic and SL show their weights at 868g & 798g. I didn't think the meter circuit could weigh that much.
Not only the meter itself (sensor and circuit) but you also save the ASA setting circuitry/interface, battery, battery holder, wiring, switch and associated switch hardware.

Thanks,
01-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

Reminiscent of the old Avis v. Hertz ad campaigns. "At Avis, we're number 2, so we have to try harder".

That campaign was designed by Doyle Dane Bernbach. Robert Townsend was CEO of Avis, led the campaign, which led a turnaround for them, and made Avis profitable for the first time in years. Townsend, who later wrote the book "UP The Organization" (1970) and was a "Theory Y" management advocate. His book was required reading for my business studies in the 1970's.

01-16-2021, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #8

I

Without a doubt the SL is probably my favorite early Asahi Pentax camera. As others have noted, it’s all mechanical with no metering and no battery. It’s light but feels very solid in your hands with lovely ergonomics. I have other Spotmatics, but don’t trust their metering at all, so I’ll either use my Luna Pro, but most often I just use the Lightmeter app on my iPhone.

Here’s a link to an Instagram feed awhile ago showing a few images shot with the SL and my Auto- Takumar 55mm f/1.8 if you’re interested in seeing how this combo performs.
Login ? Instagram
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That's quite a beauty!
I must admit this model - which seems an unlikely release, is intriguing to me now. For one thing I have gotten quite accustomed to shooting daytime pics without a meter at all particularly given the huge latitude of today's color negative film.
01-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

Love the advertisement (and, beautiful camera, Ned!). I think the last line in the advert is key... if you prefer a camera without a built-in light meter, then the SL is probably the world's BEST camera. Honestly, these days it's hard to find a Spotmatic with a functional (accurate) light meter, so why munge up your viewfinder with the light meter components? Chris makes the (correct) point that SL bodies are often harder to find and more expensive when you do find them... if you look closely at auction listings, an SL can often be mislabeled as a 'Spotmatic' or 'Asahi Pentax Camera', etc. I have found several (cheap) beautiful examples that way. I do prefer a camera without a built-in light meter sometimes.
01-17-2021, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
Love the advertisement (and, beautiful camera, Ned!). I think the last line in the advert is key... if you prefer a camera without a built-in light meter, then the SL is probably the world's BEST camera. Honestly, these days it's hard to find a Spotmatic with a functional (accurate) light meter, so why munge up your viewfinder with the light meter components? Chris makes the (correct) point that SL bodies are often harder to find and more expensive when you do find them... if you look closely at auction listings, an SL can often be mislabeled as a 'Spotmatic' or 'Asahi Pentax Camera', etc. I have found several (cheap) beautiful examples that way. I do prefer a camera without a built-in light meter sometimes.
My H1a would like a word with all of you

I think I like the ergonomics of the earlier bodies (at least in the case of the H1a and its pre-Spotmatic brothers and sisters).
And I have to admit I really like having the "secret" high speed shutter setting...

But the SL in black is a good looking camera.

-Eric
01-17-2021, 07:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I was in high-school in 1968, when the SL was released.

I think it was a marketing ploy. At the time, TTL meters were relatively new. I remember reading in the camera magazines that there were many old-school photographers who not only didn't feel that they needed a ttl meter, but actively scorned them. Sort of a "real men don't eat quiche" attitude. Real photographers were comfortable with the rule of sunny 16, or used a handheld meter.

The SL was, of course, less expensive than a Spotmatic. IIRC, it wasn't all that much cheaper, but it was cheaper.

I imagine that some potential buyers went into the camera store (remember them?) looking to buy an SL, but walked out with a Spotmatic. It appears that they didn't sell very many SL's. On eBay, there are a gazillion Spotmatics, in varying states of repair. I have only seen a couple of SL's. There just aren't very many of them.

A similar thing happened when they released the SP500 and SP1000. There were intended as less expensive versions of the Spotmatic, to capture the lower end of the market, that was dominated by Praktica, Mamiya/Sekor and others. The SP500/1000 were even closer to the SP than the SL was. The SP500/1000 had the meter, but lacked the self-timer. Like the H1A, the 1/1000 shutter speed on the SP500 was there and fully functional, but was not marked on the dial.

As for the 55, f/2 Super Tak, it only became available on the SP500/1000. Again, I believe that this was a marketing change, not an engineering one. At the time, I heard that the f/2 was identical to the f/1.8, except for the marking on the aperture ring. The difference in exposure is minimal, if it exists at all, but it was another way for Pentax to knock a few bucks off the price.

Its kind of like what happened with the K100 and K110. The K110 lacked the shake reduction system. Pentax was hedging their bets and keeping the price low. Again, they didn't sell very many K110's at all. They too, are not represented on eBay much at all.
01-18-2021, 05:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I've seen a lot of SP1000s around and owned one. It's a pretty common camera and a pleasure to use.
01-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The SL was sold for 199,50$ in 1969. Chrome body, including Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8. The price list I have does not quote the price for black, but a black Spotmatic cost 9.5$ more than a chrome body.

Then you could add the Pentax Clip-on meter for SL for another 30$. Total of 229.50$, a save of 20$ compared to Spotmatic with the same lens. I guess that is one reason there aren't that many Pentax SL out there. And even fewer clip-on meters.

(prices in Canadian dollars, price list is from McQueen Sales company ltd which is the distributor?)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-18-2021, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
...Honestly, these days it's hard to find a Spotmatic with a functional (accurate) light meter, so why munge up your viewfinder with the light meter components?...
Thankfully mine is fine but then I did buy a spares-or-repair body for very little and, errrr, got it repaired. Occasionally the mirror sticks-up and I have to waste a frame to get it down again which is annoying (and no, it isn't something as simple as the mirror bumper foam before someone suggests it!).

If I'm going meterless SLR I usually use my SV.

K.