Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
thanks for the information

when was the change made if you know

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-30-2021 at 08:37 PM.
01-30-2021, 04:55 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I have no idea. I have my information from this page: LX Camera Film Bodies | The K-Mount Page
01-30-2021, 08:37 PM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks

when I enlarge the photos of the different versions, it is easy to see the difference

http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/wp-content/uploads/bojidar/bodies/film_LX/LX_old.jpg

http://kmp.pentaxians.eu/wp-content/uploads/bojidar/bodies/film_LX/LX_new.jpg

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-31-2021 at 07:56 AM.
01-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
The most annoying thing with the standard grip is having to have the camera strap fitted so it dangles vertically. There are a few (I think just the ones that came with the later special editions but I may be wrong) that have an extra bit on the side of the grip to fit the strap to so that you can have both grip and a horizontal camera.
I really like the camera hanging vertically with the strap attached on only the left side. It makes sure the right side of the camera - where all the controls are - is free and unencumbered by a strap interfering with your hand. I use my Leica M5 the same way for that reason.

01-31-2021, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
My website has a 1984 brochure and an LX system diagram www.lucan.org.uk
Here's your thread about the LX system diagram:
LX System Diagram

Here are some more interesting informations about the LX hidden inside the threads
Pentax LX 3D printed grip
Pentax LX different models/series ??
LX Serial Numbers
External battery for LX
Jan. 1981 Camera 35 magazine: Pentax LX: An SLR With Guts
SLR Weather Seals: Pentax LX vs. Rain Forest
Pentax LX special edition
LX NiCd Battery Pack
1981 Review of the Pentax LX
If the LX was built to be dust- and weather-sealed...

So the LX was the flagship model for then years from 1980 until 1990:
Template:Pentax K-mount film SLR cameras - Wikipedia

Last edited by angerdan; 03-29-2021 at 01:39 PM.
03-29-2021, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #36
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
what batteries to use - silver oxide

information about silver oxide battery vs. alkaline battery:

https://duracelllithiumbattery.weebly.com/blog/silver-oxide-sr-batteries-vs-...%20than%20that.

What Are The Differences Between LR44 Battery And Silver-Oxide Batteries | VannDigit

What is the difference between Silver Oxide and Alkaline Batteries? | Photo.net Photography Forums

Uses of Silver Oxide Batteries | Sciencing
03-31-2021, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #37
Veteran Member

In reading up about these cameras, I found this page to be informative. This site gives general information about the LX including the 3 "maintenance versions" and a bit about the Japanese models with the colored dials.

http://klassik-cameras.de/Pentax_LX.html

At the very bottom of that page are links to more of his pages about other Pentax history and Takumar lenses.

03-31-2021, 10:11 AM   #38
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
In reading up about these cameras, I found this page to be informative. This site gives general information about the LX including the 3 "maintenance versions" and a bit about the Japanese models with the colored dials.

Pentax LX - the last Samurai

At the very bottom of that page are links to more of his pages about other Pentax history and Takumar lenses.
great addition to the thread

thank you
03-31-2021, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Veteran Member

It might be useful too if people posted information about dealing with the sticky mirror. I haven't researched it in depth and hope never to have to, but I think there are people who were able to get their cameras more functional (without an expensive CLA) by applying talc or graphite to the sticky pads.

Here is one such video

I think it was on this site that someone said they used pencil lead shavings.

Last edited by Lhorn; 03-31-2021 at 10:39 AM.
03-31-2021, 10:47 AM   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . applying talc or graphite to the sticky pads

. . I think it was on this site that someone said they used pencil lead shavings.
make sense

QuoteQuote:
What Is Pencil Lead Made Of?
We’re not in the habit of crushing dreams, but we have to break it to you: pencils do not contain lead. Instead, the pencil material is actually graphite. Plumbago pencil lead, to be exact.

To get all geologist on you, plumbago is a naturally-occurring crystalline form of carbon arranged in a hexagonal structure. Fun fact: if graphite is under high enough pressures and temperatures, it turns into a diamond.
What Is Pencil Lead Really Made Of? | National Pen
03-31-2021, 10:57 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It might be useful too if people posted information about dealing with the sticky mirror. I haven't researched it in depth and hope never to have to, but I think there are people who were able to get their cameras more functional (without an expensive CLA) by applying talc or graphite to the sticky pads.

Here is one such video
Pentax LX 35mm SLR Camera: Sluggish Mirror Fix - YouTube

I think it was on this site that someone said they used pencil lead shavings.
You may have read it but I mentioned an easy workaround for sticky mirror issues (not too bad ones) above:
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

Before getting a CLA I had a tiny patch of adhesive tape on the sticky pad for a while which also improved the focusing screen calibration.
03-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Here is one such video
It is odd that he never shows us the two supports by locking the mirror up..
03-31-2021, 01:02 PM   #43
Veteran Member

True. I didn’t see a video where the actual “fix” is demonstrated and it’s probably pretty self evident to anyone who’s played with their mirror lock up but it would have been helpful to see.
04-01-2021, 04:21 AM   #44
Pentaxian

I cannot really verify this but my impression is that one of the supports is the mirror rest (which in my understanding should be adjustable, and then it makes little sense to have two) while the other is a shock absorber.
04-01-2021, 11:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Anyone recommend a case or camera strap for the LX? I have what looks like an original strap with the correct lugs but would rather have a wider, modern strap with more robust padding. I see the OP/Tech strap is listed as working with the LX. Anyone have experience with that product? Far more than comfort I am looking for a strap that won’t fail. The LX’s lugs make me nervous.

Also curious about a tasteful case to provide some protection. I like the looks of the leather half cases that I see on Etsy. Anyone try those or have a similar item they can recommend? Not concerned much about not being able to use the B grip or even having full use of the timer.

Thanks