Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2021, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread

I recently acquired an LX from a forum member and I sought information and answers about the LX and here is what I have found -

my LX came with the FB1 system with all 3 variations for it, FC-1, FD-1, and FD-2.

FB1 System Finder This Pentax exclusive viewing system accepts any of three optional viewing eyepieces for the ultimate in viewfinder versatility. Each eyepiece attaches easily to the viewfinder with a bayonet mount. Exposure information is clearly displayed in the viewfinder.

FC-1 Action Eyepiece Offers a high eye-point at 60mm and a full 180° rotation for total flexibility in viewing angle from waist level to eye level.

FD-1 Magni-Eyepiece A magnifier eyepiece with built-in diopter correction from - 4.5 to +3.5 plus a convenient 45° viewing angle.

FD-2 Standard Eyepiece Provides a convenient 45° viewing angle ideal for microscope use, copy work or general photography.

the screen installed is SC-21 Split-Microprism. A standard screen featuring a central split-image spot with a microprism collar on a matte field.

and additional screens:

SD-11 Clear Surface with Central Cross Hairs. Similar to the SD21 but without matte surface for a clearer vision.

SG-20 Matte with Crosslines. Similar to the SE-20 but with etched cross lines in 6mm squares. Excellent for architectural subjects and multiple-exposure composition.

information about the L X can be found in its review under SLR cameras

Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

and the accessory section of the forums [ I have added comments about the diopter adjustment for the view finders based on OEM owners manual I got with my LX ]

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Pentax-LX-Viewfinders-c120.html

other sources of information that I have found:

Digital Image Studio, The Pentax LX

Pentax LX - The Camera Body

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_LX

Pentax LX camera manual, user manual

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/lx_repair.pdf

https://learncamerarepair.com/downloads/pdf/pentax-lx-service-manual.pdf

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Pentax+LX&docid=608003834456572284&mid=...tail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-20-2021 at 09:16 AM.
01-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Good job! And I see you've found the source I have found to be the most comprehensive one, the one at mir.com. Everything about the LX (except the sealings) is explained thoroughly. It's the one source that made me really crave for the LX.
01-16-2021, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Good job! And I see you've found the source I have found to be the most comprehensive one, the one at mir.com. Everything about the LX (except the sealings) is explained thoroughly. It's the one source that made me really crave for the LX.
Thank you

the only thing I found lacking in all of the sources was how to do the diopter adjustment

luckily the forum member I bought from sent two OEM manuals which show how to do that

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-16-2021 at 10:24 AM.
01-16-2021, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree the most complete information about the LX is in the malaysian web mir.com . Also you can find in the net , a very interesting , comprehensive and highly technical review and test of the " Popular Photography " magazine in the issue of August 1981 about the LX. Hope you find out and enjoy.

01-16-2021, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jopenmx Quote
I agree the most complete information about the LX is in the malaysian web mir.com . Also you can find in the net , a very interesting , comprehensive and highly technical review and test of the " Popular Photography " magazine in the issue of August 1981 about the LX. Hope you find out and enjoy.
found it

you will have to scroll through the pages of the magazine to find it

August 1981 pg 101, then pgs 126, 127 " Lab Report " by Norman Goldberg and Michele A. Frank

" Field Check " by Steve Pollock

pgs 101 - 105, then pg 142 and pg 148

Popular Photography - Google Books

[ last paragraph of " Field Check " ]
QuoteQuote:
In fact, the LX is a pleasure to shoot under most conditions I have no doubt that it belongs among the handful of professional-quality 35mm SLRs on the market. Beyond its impressive qualifications and list of accessories is the unmistable feeling that Pentax designed the entire LX system to work together as a unit. In that they have succeeded admirably

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-17-2021 at 07:37 AM.
01-16-2021, 08:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m preparing / have started to to sell all my cameras and lenses except my K-1, the Princesses - and my LX
01-17-2021, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I found a link to this 1985 booklet of the Pentax LX. It's native French but translate looks good -> Google Translate

Click on After to proceed

01-17-2021, 11:09 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
very nice

thanks
01-17-2021, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

My website has a 1984 brochure and an LX system diagram www.lucan.org.uk

There is a good booklet "Pentax LX System" by Geoffrey Crawley, if you can find a copy.
01-17-2021, 02:42 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

For fun:

Index
01-17-2021, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent

QuoteQuote:
In 1980, shortly after Nikon introduced the third generation of the F-series system camera, the F3. Asahi Optical rocked the photographic community by introducing a jewel-liked professional class system camera,

the Pentax LX.

That year also coincided with Pentax's 60th anniversary.

The image of Asahi Pentax, one of the oldest and most respected trade names and manufacturers in the business was further enhanced by the introduction of this camera. Some of the concepts and features found in the camera were truly original, functional and very practical. It has also proven itself to be an immensely successful SLR camera commercially, and remained in production until July 2001.. . .
http://pug.komkon.org/LX_Gallery/index.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-17-2021 at 03:30 PM.
01-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I’m preparing / have started to to sell all my cameras and lenses except my K-1, the Princesses - and my LX
That is a bit sad to be selling off all the cameras.
01-19-2021, 08:39 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
That is a bit sad to be selling off all the cameras.
Yes, but as time passes they have less utility and my children aren’t interested, so I’ll let someonne else enjoy them.
01-20-2021, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
My website has a 1984 brochure and an LX system diagram www.lucan.org.uk

There is a good booklet "Pentax LX System" by Geoffrey Crawley, if you can find a copy.
I have got a copy of this booklet. I've thought about scanning it but I don't own the copyright.

LX booklet cover par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity
01-21-2021, 07:04 AM - 3 Likes   #15

I recently picked up the Nakamura LX with the engraved letters on the shutter speed dial instead of the raised markings. Also, the name Nakamura was engraved in the film box holder on the back of the camera! Is this unusual, or did Mr. Nakamura special order this particular machine? Was Mr. Nakamura presented this camera as a gift? Camera body serial # is 5244379
Attached Images