Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2021, 08:10 PM - 5 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Something you don't see every day

I thought I'd start a thread specifically for Pentax obscurities and other things that probably don't rate a thread of their own. My contribution is the battery cover from a very early Pentax 6x7. There were a number of features on the first run of 6x7s that were found to be problematic and were upgraded in later cameras. A lot of the early cameras were then retrofitted with the new parts along the way but some of them always survived mostly intact. The exception seems to be the battery chamber and cover which must have had some serious defect as the replacement part was completely different (both the battery holder and the chamber it fits into are totally incompatible with the replacement). While you will still find 6x7s without the mirror reset button or with the crimped style film type selector and white painted 21/10 markings, this is the only 6x7 body I have seen with this style of battery chamber. I was so surprised to see it that I had to check the earliest 6x7 manual I owned and sure enough it was there.

This particular body is number 4000262, or the 263rd production body. I also own 4000256 and 4000290 and both of them have the usual style battery chamber, even though the manual I mentioned came with 4000290. Based on the cameras I have seen on eBay over the last few years it looks like most of the early features were replaced around body 4002000. The white paint for the film type markings was changed to yellow and blue which then changed to yellow and green around body 4004000. The film door seems to have a number of upgrades along the way and a lot of the early ones have rusty rollers so it is easy to see why you so rarely see an early body with the matching film door. The film spool buttons were changed around body 4018000 and the MLU came in around 4060000 (give or take 500).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
01-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Paul,

Thanks for that interesting information.

Regards,
Gordon.
01-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Having never owned a 6x7 or any of its successors I have no idea what a standard one would look like. Perhaps you could post a comparison photo?
01-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the battery on my 6x7, early version before MLU

Attached Images

01-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

So it went from one you would open with a coin like most of the 35mm SLRs to one with a fold-down wotsit to twist? Does it just take button batteries like contemporary SLRs?

Thanks for posting. Kris.
01-24-2021, 04:54 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Both types take a single 6v 4LR44, which is basically 4 x 1.5v SR44s in one package.
01-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
So it went from one you would open with a coin like most of the 35mm SLRs to one with a fold-down wotsit to twist? Does it just take button batteries like contemporary SLRs?

Thanks for posting. Kris.
This is how it looks under the cover. The hinged thing is really needed in order to get the battery out without to much tinkering.

Attached Images