Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #1

Pentax ME Super underexposure issue

Hey everyone, I've been having some issues with me ME Super underexposing and was hoping someone here might be able to provide some insight.

Basically every shot on my last two rolls has been under exposed by a stop or more. Timing the 4s, 2s, and 1s shutter speeds with a stopwatch seems to show they are all off by about a stop (e.g. 2s is actually more like 1.1s in reality). I was able to get the shutter speeds and meter tested by a local camera shop and they said they're both out by over a stop. I've tried a new set of batteries and that didn't seem to help. I'm assuming the electronics in the camera are just on their way out but I'm still hoping there might be and easy fix short of overhauling the camera.

Thanks in advance for any help!

01-25-2021, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Sometimes with the ME Super, the ISO selector and the exposure compensation selector can become unresponsive, leading to incorrect exposure. Try giving them a good exercising and try again. Failing that the exposure meter can be adjusted during a good CLA. My own ME Super used to underexpose and a recent CLA has meant that is is spot on again and a joy to use. I'm not sure how much it will cost in your currency but mine was 100 uk pounds. Its not so expensive if you plan on keeping the camera for a long time.
01-26-2021, 12:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
First off, thank you for the reply! I'll try working on the ISO and exposure compensation selector to see if that gives me some better meter readings. I'm assuming that even even if the metering issue did turn out to be the dial being unresponsive then issue with the shutter speeds being off would remain as another separate issue? Good to know the meter can be adjusted during a CLA, I think that may be on the horizon if this quick fix doesn't work out. Thanks again for your help.
01-26-2021, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it hasn't had one previously then a CLA is probably the way to go. It is a 35 year old camera, and a bit of TLC will probably do it the world of good.

I found that ME Supers and my ME-F all develop a minor metering issues if I haven't used them for a while. Twisting the exposure compensation dial back and forth a few times normally solves the issue. It normally manifests itself in the exposure reading not settling at one reading, but jumping around a bit.

Best wishes, Kris.

01-28-2021, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite some time ago I had a similar problem on my ME Super that progressively got worse and eventually I took it in for a technician to see what the problem was. He fixed it all right and explained to me that the problem lies with the shutter curtains and/or mechanism - with age they deteriorate and then start giving erroneous timing.
01-28-2021, 11:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies! Sounds like a CLA should definitely be in the camera's future. The camera also has an issue where the odd time the shutter doesn't reset after winding so it'd be nice to have that fixed too. Unfortunately working on the exposure compensation dial didn't yield any improvement. If anyone has a recommendation for where to have the CLA done that'd be awesome, I'm in western Canada.
10-08-2021, 01:29 AM   #7

Is this the issue also for the ME and MG?

05-14-2022, 02:23 AM   #8
Forum Member

Reviving the thread, did you ever resolve, OP?
I wonder if it's the same issue as my ME will shoot fine for a while then hugely underexpose
05-14-2022, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
I wonder if it's the same issue as my ME will shoot fine for a while then hugely underexpose
Any of the M series that have the ISO etc on the ring around the re-wind knob can suffer from the oxidation problem. Just twisting it back and forth for a while can clear it, especially for cameras that have been on the shelf for a while.

K.
05-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grimnicholas Quote
Never did end up getting it fixed. I ended up getting a good deal on a K1000 which should be easier to maintain in the long run given its all mechanical workings. I would like to eventually fix the ME Super eventually though, perhaps make a project out of it. I did try working the ISO dial a bit to clear up any potential oxidization but it didn't help, unfortunately. Definitely worth a try though for anyone encountering this issue!