Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 01:32 PM   #1

Dodgy film rewind button on a Pentax KM (film)

So I bought a cheap Pentax KM with a mirror stuck up, it took a bit of figuring out but eventually I found a screw loose and that fixed it, however now I find that the film rewind button is getting stuck and I have to open up the bottom plate to release it, is this a common problem with Spotmatics/K1000 etc.. (I hear they have similar mechanisms) or is it just me?

FWIW I won't be sending it off for a CLA for financial reasons. It's annoying but I can live with it

01-31-2021, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I am not sure if that will be of any help but on my K1000 the film rewind button goes back to its default position once you actuate the film rewind lever. Perhaps in your case there is a problem with the connection between the button and the lever.
Best,
Wojciech
01-31-2021, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #3

A copy of the Pentax KM service manual can be found for download. This should give you enough information to figure out and perhaps solve the problem.
01-31-2021, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The button is supposed to pop down automatically when the sprocket moves. The wind lever makes the sprocket move. You can also spin the sprocket to get the button to come out when you change film. The base of the button under the camera is in the middle of a gear. You could try a small drop of oil on that shaft. Push the button in and then wind or spin the the sprocket to move the button in and out a few times and see if it frees up.

02-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The button is supposed to pop down automatically when the sprocket moves. The wind lever makes the sprocket move. You can also spin the sprocket to get the button to come out when you change film. The base of the button under the camera is in the middle of a gear. You could try a small drop of oil on that shaft. Push the button in and then wind or spin the the sprocket to move the button in and out a few times and see if it frees up.
Thanks for answering, I will give it a try, maybe the oil will fix the problem. It didn't cost much but it is a great sturdy camera similar to the K1000.

---------- Post added 02-19-21 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wojciech Quote
Hi,
I am not sure if that will be of any help but on my K1000 the film rewind button goes back to its default position once you actuate the film rewind lever. Perhaps in your case there is a problem with the connection between the button and the lever.
Best,
Wojciech
Thanks for your answer, ye it should pop back down but I guess it just gets stuck and won't come out unless manually released after opening the bottom plate.

---------- Post added 02-19-21 at 05:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wojciech Quote
Hi,
Best,
Wojciech
Thanks for your answer, ye it should pop back down but I guess it just gets stuck and won't come out unless manually released after opening the bottom plate.

---------- Post added 02-19-21 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
A copy of the Pentax KM service manual can be found for download. This should give you enough information to figure out and perhaps solve the problem.
Thanks for the tip, let's hope it doesn't come to that, I can do some basic repairs but I don't trust myself to disassemble too many parts just in case something gets broken