Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 96 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 05:01 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Replacement Leatherette pictures

I've been watching this guy on youtube who obviously is a big Pentax fan and has a large collection and has done a lot of videos featuring them. On his Spotmatic video
I couldn't help admiring the striking green/blue non standard leatherette on his Spotty.

I've never been tempted to change to a fancy leatherette in the past but perhaps its "lockdown blues" and I'm now giving it some thought. I know some of the forum regulars have non standard leatherette so perhaps they can post photos of them all in one thread and brighten our lives up a little

02-15-2021, 12:30 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is my Spotmatic with Deep Red Leather Emboss from Aki-Asahi in Japan. The original was a moldy and peeling mess.

The coverings on the rest of my cameras are in good shape and it is a seems sort of a shame to remove a covering that that has lasted 50-60 years just for novelty.

Steve
02-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

The coverings on the rest of my cameras are in good shape and it is a seems sort of a shame to remove a covering that that has lasted 50-60 years just for novelty.

Steve
I'm glad you brought that up because that was going to be my next question. I sort of agree with you that it is a novelty. These are old cameras and you probably wouldn't mess about with other classic items of similar age. If I "tarted up" one of my Pentax bodies it would be my K1000 which is in pretty nice condition all round but I seldom use it because I have better bodies to chose from. If I had a nice bright K1000 (I was thinking about Moroccan Orange from SLR Camera Coverings | Camera Leather | Hugostudio ) I would be inclined to take it out a bit more.
02-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
If I had a nice bright K1000 (I was thinking about Moroccan Orange from SLR Camera Coverings | Camera Leather | Hugostudio ) I would be inclined to take it out a bit more.
Snazzy! I gotta say, that covering would be very tempting for my Minolta Autocord, whose cover is a little tacky.

Steve

02-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Black(boring) Leatherette on my Spotmatic is in flawless condition, so I don't see myself making changes anytime soon. I even purchased a film identifier holder from London(still in the mail) for it since the Spotmatic doesn't come with one. I kind of like the Green leatherette though, not sure if the video mentions where it was purchased ?
02-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I kind of like the Green leatherette though, not sure if the video mentions where it was purchased ?
It looks a lot like a material offered by cameraleather.com, though it is hard to say. They have been in disarray for some time and their Web site gives no indication of their current offerings other than a camera list and e-mail address.

Steve
02-15-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've replaced the covering on a few old Pentax, a Yashicaflex, and even a couple of pre-war Leicas. But in each case the old covering was beyond repair, and I stayed as close to original as possible. Aki Asahi did send me an extra cover that was quite a bright color (don't remember what...)

02-15-2021, 03:43 PM - 4 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

My K1000 cover was ordinary.... so I had a play. Life is to short to not play.

02-15-2021, 05:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My K1000 cover was ordinary.... so I had a play. Life is to short to not play.

Your K85/1.8 looks really lovely. I had wanted to do that but it seems no one is doing it in the USA now.
02-16-2021, 04:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Your K85/1.8 looks really lovely. I had wanted to do that but it seems no one is doing it in the USA now.
Yes.... a bit sad.... dcshooter did mine a few years ago. Glad I got my 3 favourite K lenses done back then.
02-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I think dcshooter may still be doing them. He just isn’t on the forum now. Someone recently posted a link to his eBay account, so maybe that would work...

-Eric
02-16-2021, 06:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I think dcshooter may still be doing them. He just isn’t on the forum now. Someone recently posted a link to his eBay account, so maybe that would work...

-Eric
Thanks Eric.
03-06-2021, 08:50 AM - 4 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So in the end I went for the Moroccan Orange genuine leather from Hugostudio. It might not please the purists but I really like it. Of course I'll keep the original black leatherette (which came off without damage) in case I or a future owner wants to go back to original.

Would I do another one?...... Not sure. I'm happy with my silver ME Super as it is. My black MX is a bit dented and brassed on the top cover and fresh leather on that might look odd. I do have a black MV which is in very good condition but I'm not sure what colour would go well with the black body.

03-06-2021, 09:33 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
So in the end I went for the Moroccan Orange genuine leather from Hugostudio. It might not please the purists but I really like it. Of course I'll keep the original black leatherette (which came off without damage) in case I or a future owner wants to go back to original.

Would I do another one?...... Not sure. I'm happy with my silver ME Super as it is. My black MX is a bit dented and brassed on the top cover and fresh leather on that might look odd. I do have a black MV which is in very good condition but I'm not sure what colour would go well with the black body.
Well, I should recognise you if I see you out and about in our fine county (that's when and if we get the chance !)
03-06-2021, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Well, I should recognise you if I see you out and about in our fine county (that's when and if we get the chance !)
Oh that's a worry

My wife and I are lucky to have been vaccinated recently so when the lockdown has been relaxed... possibly next month, we will be heading up to Wells-next-the-Sea for some much anticipated "fish and chips" by the harbour. Keep a look out for the K1000 that's been tangoed