Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
What is the difference in rear doors between the ME and the Super?
Memo holder on the ME Super.

Steve

03-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
That's what I though originally but when I checked Google images and ebay for Pentax ME images, they also had the memo holder. Here is one on ebay uk Pentax ME Camera 50mm Lens | eBay

Maybe later ME models had the memo holder added?
03-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
as the MX memo holder is plastic and the plastic studs or riovets or pillers are melted on the inside of the film door to attach it, i was thinking it would be quite a good modification to take it off completely. stick the leatherette over the space and the holes and use tape on the inside of the door for added light tightness. Would look like a K series back then.

I almost always use the same film so the film lid holder is not that useful (for me)
03-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Thanks Steve

Yes, it is a little more square than the super and has a slightly different location.

03-21-2021, 03:06 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
Thanks Steve

Yes, it is a little more square than the super and has a slightly different location.
Ah.... its all clear now
03-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just sent them a second email. Hopefully they respond this time. Their site says that if they do not have a pattern, that they would be happy to create one for you if you send your camera in for service.

I just want to purchase an ME Super pattern with no card holder cut out of the film door.
03-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard back from them and an order was placed.

this is what someone did to this poor camera.

Attached Images

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 03-22-2021 at 02:16 PM.
03-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Is it going back to black?
03-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it going back to black?

It will be Angus recycled leather in green.
03-23-2021, 02:01 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
It will be Angus recycled leather in green.
Nice..... look forward to seeing the photos
03-31-2021, 03:23 AM - 8 Likes   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well Maxi sat naked on my desk for a couple of weeks while waiting for the leatherette to come from North America. Turned up today so we are now re-covered.

The lens is the refinished M40 classic shown previously. I like the finish in refurbished leatherette two tones red crocodile - Not as in your face as a plain red. The shade of red matches the red trims on some of the lenses. Asahi red. The bad rusting and paint loss on the film door I sanded back to metal and enameled with black lacquer nail polish. Flows on smoothly and drys smooth and glossy.

03-31-2021, 07:11 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Well Maxi sat naked on my desk for a couple of weeks while waiting for the leatherette to come from North America. Turned up today so we are now re-covered.

The lens is the refinished M40 classic shown previously. I like the finish in refurbished leatherette two tones red crocodile - Not as in your face as a plain red. The shade of red matches the red trims on some of the lenses. Asahi red. The bad rusting and paint loss on the film door I sanded back to metal and enameled with black lacquer nail polish. Flows on smoothly and drys smooth and glossy.

WoW!

What a difference.
03-31-2021, 08:54 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Obviously each to their own but my own view would be that unless I was sure that any "touch up" was 100% invisible, I would rather keep the brassing. I think that a bit of brassing looks "honest" but a badly touched up camera looks terrible. As I said.... just my own opinions and bear in mind, this is the guy who has just put bright orange leather on his K1000 haha. I'm sure your MX will look good with the new leather.
I like a bit of brassing. I once saw a Minolta X700 for sale from Pakistan in a very heavily brassed condition. I thought it looked really cool.

---------- Post added 03-31-21 at 09:01 AM ----------

Generally I am not in favour of removing the leatherette from cameras. However, there are some makes and models (Contax, Yashica and Minolta usually) which suffer from poor coverings and I see no problem with tricking them out. Or any other camera which needs a new cover. I have done the covers on 2 Contax 137 MA's, a Yashica FX3 and I can see that i will need to do my RTS and Minolta XD7 in the not too distant future. Hmmm? Now what colour/style to choose? None of my Pentax, Canon, Fujica or Nikon cameras are even close to requiring such treatment.
03-31-2021, 11:03 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Hot. Damn.
That is gorgeous.
03-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Looks really good to me