Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2021, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #1

Not a parts camera anymore.

Hello all.

Picked up this camera for parts, but, after receiving it decided it was to cool just to sit around.
So, here is my question. Whoever had it before me, swapped out the bottom plate with a chrome one and no battery cover.
I do have another battery cover I could use, but I do not have the battery holder. Now, the meter doesn't work which is fine by me but I
would like it to at least look the part. Do I just paint the bottom cover, or do I leave the bottom cover? any advice would be great. The lens is mine, it didn't come with the camera.

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
02-16-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's lots of options...
You could leave it, paint it, look for another broken one, paint it a different color, ...
There's that guy on eBay who paints them gold then pretends they were made that way... don't be that guy...

I would probably leave it, though a battery door would be nice...

Have you met @ismaelg ? He is one of the local resurrectors of broken things

-Eric
02-16-2021, 02:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Painting the bottom cover isn't the worst thing. Black baseplates are pretty scarce, and all too many will have the battery cover welded to it with corrosion anyway - which is no doubt what happened to your original one.

Keep in mind painting over chrome is a bad idea. It will flake off. While chrome can be stripped chemically, if I were doing a single small part, with nice straight flats like the baseplate, I'd just sand it off with carbide paper and elbow grease.

Unless you are some kind of wizard with spray paint, it is nigh on impossible to match the finish the Japanese could do back in the '60s (yes, I've tried lacquers, enamels, epoxy). You can get a nice black finish, but you won't have to look too closely to see it doesn't match the smoothness of the original. Fortunately, it's on the bottom.

Finding a battery cover isn't impossible, and chrome works just fine (my black SP has a chrome battery cover - original, right?).
02-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

Keep in mind the battery cover is part of the circuit. They are conductive chrome even on black cameras. I wouldn't paint the base because the black in the rest of the camera is not paint. It is electroplating or anodizing with a very particular sheen to it. You will end up with either a too dull or too shiny finish. I know you don't care for the meter, but painting the bottom plate will probably cause problems with completing the battery circuit if you later decide to fix it. If you still decide to paint it, I'd use a satin or flat finish paint. Gloss/shiny will probably look out of place. I'd recommend using automotive products: sanding, etching primer, paint and clear. Hardware store spray paint will probably not withstand use and wear.

Thanks,
Ismael

02-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #5

I would leave the chrome bottom, it doesn't bother me at all. I would consider having the battery cover painted 'dot' red though, if you want to show off some.
02-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably be on the look out for another bottom cover with the battery area and cover.
I do have other SP cameras, and in the mean time I could swap out. But again, I'm not going to worry about the meter. I've taken the tops off of two other SP's, and still the meters never work. It always come down to a bad Ammeter ( in my case).
Hope to put some film through it soon.
Again thanks
02-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like they way it looks with the silver bottom cover. Gives it a little "pizzaz" lol
02-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Use an Everready case and no one will know... 😉

02-18-2021, 07:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Use an Everready case and no one will know... ��
But I will.
03-15-2021, 04:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DerekLeath Quote
But I will.
If you are lucky some one local will have a parts body, and take pity on your situation, post your serial number
Nnnnnnxx just in case!
A broken meter is just as compelling.