Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2021, 06:03 PM   #1

Broken rewind knob/non-functioning rewind button on Pentax SL

This afternoon I took my new-to-me Pentax SL out for a trial run. The camera was fine when I took it out this morning, but when I finished my roll of film and pressed the rewind button on the bottom of the camera, it would not catch. Then I looked at the top of the camera and found that my rewind knob was gone. (See attached photo.)

I had been planning on sending this camera out for service anyway, but I think I got some really nice shots of my daughter on the test roll and would really like to get the roll out of the camera before I send it off to Eric or DAG. Anyone have any suggestions?

Attached Images

02-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

if you have a spare or parts body.....you could use a screw driver to hold the rewind shaft and remove the top crank and place on this body to rewind the film......

is the rewind release button on the bottom not disengaging the sprocket??? likely gummed up and will prolly give way after a lil of cajoling
02-21-2021, 07:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
OK. Thatís got to be really annoying... sorry to see that.

If it was me, Iíd do the following...

Steal a knob off another camera. I have enough that something probably fits... stick a screwdriver in the slot in the rewind shaft that normally holds the film canister while you unscrew it. If you have pentaxian friends, youíll just need to borrow one...

Find a nut off something the same size then rewind with a wrench. This would probably not work at my house, as I probably donít have a nut that size (whatís metric?)

Gently using a pair of pliers so as not to destroy the threads, pull up the shaft with the camera in a changing bag, then rewinding the film by hand once you get it out. This assumes you have a changing bag...

All these do assume that the rewind button is stuck because that last frame didnít really finish and that it will free up once you loosen things and finish the last bit of advance stroke. If not, thereís another challenge...

If you have a local film lab, they probably have a changing box and can do this for you...

I hope that helps...

-Eric
02-21-2021, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, take the camera body to a hardware store and find a nut that fits perfectly. Hold the rewind button in while tightening the nut and eventually you'll have a rewound cassette. Then put on the nut itself to lift the rewind shaft up to get the roll out of the camera.

Or just send it to the repair shop of your choice and tell them what's up with the film and let them get it out while repairing the camera. I kind of like that idea the most.

02-22-2021, 04:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the rewind button on the bottom is not disengaging the film transport, so even if the rewind crank was there, I still couldn't rewind the film. I think the frame counter was on 35 and I couldn't fully advance to the next frame. Even if I could get the back open, I would need to free up the takeup spool so that I could wind the film back into the cassette.

Leaning towards pres589's second option…

I appreciate the info!
02-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Would it not be easier to open the camera in a changing bag, or really dark room (under the blankets at midnight, door and curtains closed, all lights off if no other choice, open the back and gently re-wind the film into the cassette by hand ? I believe on some cameras opening the back automatically frees the take-up spool. Then entrust someone else with the camera.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 02-22-2021 at 06:36 AM. Reason: .
02-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Iím pretty sure the K1000 does not free up the spool when the back is opened, assuming the SL is similar, so that will have to be addressed.

But Iím pretty sure Iíve had similar behavior from my K1000 rewind button when the shutter wasnít fully cocked or discharged, so it may be as simple as getting the film loose enough to finish winding that last frame, then everything will free up.

-Eric
02-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the replies. Will try to open her up tonight.

02-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #9

Take the camera in the darkroom and take the film out manually.
02-22-2021, 06:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
pres589's suggestion worked! I found a nut that fit on the threaded shaft that the rewind crank should have been screwed into. Between jiggering the nut with a pair of pliers and gently winding with advance lever, I was able to advance the film far enough to cock the shutter and release it. Then, using the tip of a machine screw I was able to push the rewind button on the bottom of the camera up enough to catch. A few minutes with a ratchet on the nut and I was able to wind the film back into the cassette. Then I took the camera into the darkest place I could find in the house just to be safe and used a pair of pliers to pull the nut up and open the camera. The film was fully wound back into the cassette! Success!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Much appreciated!
02-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, glad it worked for you, good deal.

Now you have to share at least one frame from the roll with us after you get it developed!
02-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

good deal!! and second the share from the roll !!